Hi all Thinking of buying a 306 - Cabby or 1.9 diesel??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all Thinking of buying a 306 - Cabby or 1.9 diesel??
Hi everyone

I am considering buying a 306 cabriolet as and when I can (within the next few weeks or so). I haven't at present set my heart on A particular car at this point.
Currently I have a mk2 fiesta 1.0 pop plus and am looking to upgrade to something a little newer that is a little more fun, yet refined. i.e not a bone rattler lol

My parents had a pug 306 cabriolet 2.0, it wasn't the best example but never failed to start and always did the job regardless of the weather. Which was quite a surprise come winter!

Due to my age and insurance reasons the cabriolet model I am able to get is the 1.8 version.
I'll have a budget of around £1000 (possibly more)

What I would find most useful is "what to look out for" - how stiff should the clutch be? as my parents old 306 cabby did feel a little stiff and sometimes you would lift your foot off and a few seconds later, the pedal would feel as if the clutch had just released.. hard to explain that one...

could anyone offer any further advice or information?

Thanks in advance

Rob Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Smile

Clutches are notoriously heavy on 306s! The clutch cable routing goes past the exhaust manifold and dries out the lubricants, so you can replace the cable and heat wrap it, or just man the f*ck up lol They shouldn't be stupidly heavy though or have any kind of juddering when pulling away, but they will feel heavier than newer cars which have hydraulic clutches.

You should be able to get a decent one with that budget! Take a look around and have a read up about the 1.8s as they're the same engine that's in the hatch Smile
Thanks given by:
Just missed out on a 2.0 cab, went for £750 iirc.

Welcome along mate, as Scott said you should have no trouble trying to find one. May even have some change for some nice wheels Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Welcome along! :-)

The 1.8 is a better engine than the 2l lumps anyway so crack on :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Welcome along! :-)

Some little birdy told me the 1.8 is worse on fuel than the 2.0l?

Edit: welcome along also Smile
Thanks given by:
HandyPandy Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Welcome along! :-)

Some little birdy told me the 1.8 is worse on fuel than the 2.0l?

Edit: welcome along also Smile
Some little birdy lied haha my 1.8 actually had better fuel consumption than my 1.4, it not that bad in comparison but I wasn't impressed
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha, well they ain't to great Atleast
Thanks given by:
+ extra weight of cabby could make them pretty thirsty tbh!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hello welcome to the peugeot 306 car forum. :clap:
Thanks given by:
Welcome and good luck with the search Smile
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Thought i'd update this.
I've been considering the running a 306 cabriolet 1.8 and have come to the conclusion it's perhaps a little thirsty to say the least.
so... been having a look again at insurance etc - 306 1.9 Turbo diesel is the same cost to insure as the cabby.
i've seen a few 306 diesel's but have between 130k miles and 150k miles.
at this point i'm just weighing up the options i'd really like a 306 as I like the styling and they seem to be fairly reliable.
what should I look out for when buying a 306 1.9 turbo diesel? should I avoid high milers?

had a quick look at the tax band and costs, are they really £120+ to tax for 6 months?

Thanks

rob
Thanks given by:
plugy Wrote:Thought i'd update this.
I've been considering the running a 306 cabriolet 1.8 and have come to the conclusion it's perhaps a little thirsty to say the least.
so... been having a look again at insurance etc - 306 1.9 Turbo diesel is the same cost to insure as the cabby.
i've seen a few 306 diesel's but have between 130k miles and 150k miles.
at this point i'm just weighing up the options i'd really like a 306 as I like the styling and they seem to be fairly reliable.
what should I look out for when buying a 306 1.9 turbo diesel? should I avoid high milers?

had a quick look at the tax band and costs, are they really £120+ to tax for 6 months?

Thanks

rob

Don't necessarily avoid high milers, if they've been looked after you may find they run better than one that's on 60k but never been serviced or looked after.
Just look for a good PROOF of service history with it (don't let them just tell you stuff has been done) and you are looking for the cam belt to have been done fairly recently to make it worth buying really.
I bought mine at 147k and and never let's me down, as it's been treated right throughout its life.
Thanks given by:
Helo and welcome. Get a cabby!!!
[Image: 20120110_141823-1-1-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Try hdi's as well. Great engine. Not as easy to tune. But nice and clean out the back as well.

I bought mine 146k full service history every 10k same garage for last 60k. Needed a cam belt though as the bloke thought because it hadn't done more than the so many miles it states that he didnt need to change it. It had been on for 7 years. Smile but got price down Smile and done the very next day Smile

But mine runs perfect never missed a beat. I've done 10k so far service it twice. Smile of for a stage 1 tunes Wednesday and so excited Smile.

Good luck in the search. And don't rush into the first car you see. If I did I would of come out with a banger s reg d turbo instead of a very nice hdi for less penny's Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2012, 11:57 AM)vlj Wrote: Don't necessarily avoid high milers, if they've been looked after you may find they run better than one that's on 60k but never been serviced or looked after.
This is true. When it has more miles on the clock it can even mean that it's had more major repairs but the owner doesn't dare to put the price up because of it's mileage.
That was pretty much the case in my s16; receipts of big engine repairs, chassis, suspension, exhaust, a new paintjob etc. for WAY over the price of the car.
Anyone who loves his 306 keeps he's receipts of the bigger works, and takes a good care of the paint and the interior - regardless of the mileage...
Thanks given by:
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Yeah mileage does not matter too much, if I had the choice betweem a high millage diesel or petrol, I'd go for the diesel engines as they are a lot tougher than petrol ones, so its not neccesserily a bad thing. However, if I was to use mine as an example, which is on just over 67,000, it has had a few issues and is well on its way to being fixed now. Hate to say it, but at times it is the luck of the draw!!

Happy researching Big Grin
Thanks given by:
welcome!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking of buying another Slammed 66 12 1,611 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Slammed 66