Possibile project (probably way off in the future)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibile project (probably way off in the future)
Right well this might not really apply to this site but I've been thinking about doing a project for a while. Basically I've only ever had a 306, and its always been my main car so usually haven't been able to do anything crazy with it and to be fair its a good workhorse (might go for a HDi next time as a main car).

Anyways as seen as it would be a second car project I could have whatever I wanted (within reason) and have been thinking about a 4x4. As I know a little about XUD's I was thinking of an XUD engined 4x4 (hence why posting it here) but the only ones that exsist are Suzuki Vitara's or Lada Nivas, both rare as rocking horse shite. So if anyone see's one for sale give us a shout!

Well I thought about this a bit more and I've also wanted a mini ... so my crazy idea is a mini 4x4 (slap a shell ontop of a 4x4 chassis like -

[Image: 27df.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0614.jpg]

(Stolen from Minifinity.co.uk)

So basically a Monster Mini powered by a nicely tuned XUD ... what do you guys think? Possible?

Well this would probably be a way off anyways due to funds, not having a garage, and even tho I have a Engineering degree I'm basically a spanner with a hammer! For now its just an idea and was looking for comments and information if you guys have any ...
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
Do it..............that would be awesome!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Would have to have an upward stack.... blowing coal would be epic lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've seen this done, looks awesome Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I had the idea ... but its wasn't till I saw one driving around in Stratford upon Avon before and thought it was awesome and a proper goer.

To be fair I haven't thought it in detail yet, I'm guessing for the vitara chassis an estate mini would be the best! Also that it would just be pretty much the mini shell ontop as the bulkhead would probably have to be moved backwards, stick a cage in it too. Have to enlarge the arches as well and build a whole bespoke interior ... and by that I don't mean a comfy one haha!
Thanks given by:
Best example yet -

[Image: 9972_Picture_048_Small_1.jpg]

(from Difflock forum)
Thanks given by:
Just found this one which I thought looked pretty smart!

[Image: 1183169505_f91d3064f1.jpg]
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Like that idea! Are vitaras really that rare, loads of them round here..? Unless you mean XUD-powered vitaras, in which case - transplant. Tongue
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:Like that idea! Are vitaras really that rare, loads of them round here..? Unless you mean XUD-powered vitaras, in which case - transplant. Tongue

XUD ones are rare, but I kinda want to try and make it simple as possible ... as I say I'm a spanner with a hammer lol
Thanks given by:
it would be really cool but really expensive...
[Image: kaetensiggy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Go for it mate, the later vitaras have HDi engines so you might be able to adapt one of those
Thanks given by:
Megamonkey Wrote:XUD ones are rare, but I kinda want to try and make it simple as possible ... as I say I'm a spanner with a hammer lol

Its the commercial (van) ones that have the XUD engine like Sam Barker had, all the older style passenger ones have 1.4 or 1.6 petrol engines in IIRC.

like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Vitara-...039wt_1189
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Kaeten M Wrote:it would be really cool but really expensive...

Well I hope not, I was only thinking of doing it scrap heap challange esque! Bodge it till it works lol

Dum-Dum Wrote:Go for it mate, the later vitaras have HDi engines so you might be able to adapt one of those

Bleugh HDi ... not really the best engine to mix with mud and water haha!

mark_airey Wrote:
Megamonkey Wrote:XUD ones are rare, but I kinda want to try and make it simple as possible ... as I say I'm a spanner with a hammer lol

Its the commercial (van) ones that have the XUD engine like Sam Barker had, all the older style passenger ones have 1.4 or 1.6 petrol engines in IIRC.

like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Vitara-...039wt_1189

Aye, it was Sam's thread that got me thinking about the combination of a vitara and mini.

Thanks for the link but dam that ones quiet expensive ... was hoping that the mini shell and vitara would come in together at under £1000

Anyways as I said its quite a way off, tho I might consider getting the Vitara sooner tho and use as a car for a bit before I start the project so links are helpful Big Grin !
Thanks given by:
Well there is a Mini shell on my drive that will be cheap, its rather rotten though........and quite a long way away....

The vitara's tend to be quite a bit of £ with the XUD in, what about an SJ410 or SJ413 (pre vitara suzuki and slightly smaller) and then convert it to XUD??
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Well there is a Mini shell on my drive that will be cheap, its rather rotten though........and quite a long way away....

The vitara's tend to be quite a bit of £ with the XUD in, what about an SJ410 or SJ413 (pre vitara suzuki and slightly smaller) and then convert it to XUD??

Aye that is a bit far away, and probably have to have the estate version too. I take it as well I can't get a tax exempt mini and then claim thats the car it was based upon thus showing as a mini on the V5 too much other car invovled I think!

As I said wanted to make it simple as possible if I can, and can wait it out a bit. Hmmm tho it is an idea. Would it be up for take a much more weighty engine tho?
Thanks given by:
Mini and the running gear out an XUD LDV Pilot? RWD could be awesome
Thanks given by:
why not just drop the derv engine in the back of a mini? as some do with V8s in minis.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Mini and the running gear out an XUD LDV Pilot? RWD could be awesome

Never in a million years is an xud going to fit in the engine bay of a mini! It's not wide enough!, plus the stock a series engines barely fit, lol

If you want rear wheel drive you want a z cars conversion and a bike engine in the boot!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Mini and the running gear out an XUD LDV Pilot? RWD could be awesome

Never in a million years is an xud going to fit in the engine bay of a mini! It's not wide enough!, plus the stock a series engines barely fit, lol

If you want rear wheel drive you want a z cars conversion and a bike engine in the boot!

you should see the k series engines in minis! there is practically no room what so ever for a manifold or alternator!!
sometimes the mini boys should think about dropping the A series 1.8 engines in that you can get hold of from good mini dealers, iam not sure if it does exist mind as my mate whos a mini boy mentioned the 1.8 a series engine.
Thanks given by:
How have I not seen these before ... They look brilliant !
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I did think there'd be little room in it, hadn't looked at the calculations or anything. Was looking for people opinions and veiws first.

I was thinking tho that a clubman estate could work, engine bay is bigger and with the XUD engine mounted at 90° to the 306 version would help, would end up modifying the interior, moving the dashboard back a bit and having rather large tunnel.

As I said is only an idea, tho constructive comments would help. Not just going 'that wont work'! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Megamonkey Wrote:Yeah I did think there'd be little room in it, hadn't looked at the calculations or anything. Was looking for people opinions and veiws first.

I was thinking tho that a clubman estate could work, engine bay is bigger and with the XUD engine mounted at 90° to the 306 version would help, would end up modifying the interior, moving the dashboard back a bit and having rather large tunnel.

As I said is only an idea, tho constructive comments would help. Not just going 'that wont work'! Tongue

If you are just using the shell you could remove some of the inner wings to make more space, plus the Vitara XUD is vertical (not tilted back like the 306 version) and mounted the opposite way so that would be the way forward IMO

Your idea will work, but fitting an XUD to a stock mini would be a massive fail!

I'm sure you could make the SJ's capable of fitting an XUD and they are slightly smaller than a Vitara which I feel would make fitting the mini shell much easier and less like its just perched on top of the chassis, also they are damn good off road if maybe a little bit narrow Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
SJ413 ftw, bound to find one in a scrappy near you. And countryman shell would be the ideal match size-wise, be like a mini-range rover lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The future of 306oc Uberderv 86 19,041 29-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  My Future Plan Eeyore 27 4,363 29-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Last Post: toseland