1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8-Mi16-GTI6-T
Minor update, got an hour in the scrappy today, managed to get all head bolts out with a standard socket wrench; winning! erm, removed the water pipes, disconnected the rest of the plugs, cables and general useless crap surroudning the head, but for the life of me couldnt get the cambelt cover off to expose the cams/take the head up. Also, the exhaust had been previously CHOPPED so i dont even have to fiddle with the exhaust side of things!

Heading again tomorow to try and drop the engine at least, a pic from todays work; FML

[Image: WedRK.jpg]

EDIT: Also, purchased (when i say purchased, provisonally bought, but now seeing the car up for sale) a recon'd GTI head, loom, unlocked ECU, gearbox and shafts from Sam on here - if it goes through, he WILL receive a cheeky banana .
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Check your Facebook post ginger.

Just for you Ginge

[Image: 18d57782.jpg]

Cylinders 1 and 2 have been honed. You can see where the rings were wrecked and the piston has been "slapping" against the cylinder. This isn't ideal however it's still smooth.
Cylinders 3 and 4 are how they were when I first removed the head. You can see some light scoring in the cylinders. Again, not ideal but honing should remove this.

[Image: f9cef97b.jpg]

You can see there is permanent damage in the top inch of the bores. Nothing you can do about this unless you bore it and fit oversized pistons.
This won't cause a problem to running at all but it's a good history of the engine.

If you like, you can borrow my honing tool
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
i SEE!

awesome pics there. also, how much is this honing tool going to take away from the bores if any, or is a very light 'grit type' to take away the scoring?
Thanks given by:
It's a very slight grit. I would compare it to 800 grit sandpaper. The idea is your trying to get a cross hatch effec (will try and get close up photos when we take the head off my old one) to control oil.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Oh ok, i hear ya', yeh, this could be awesome - OR niall, you could take a trip down, spend a few days when i sort out some conrods, and having a 'boaring/corod' weekend? Smile

sort it nearer the time, but i think this block could be a good'n
Thanks given by:
Ginge providing you provide me somewhere to sleep, I will come down and help ya. This engine will be epic but you just need to take time and do it properly. Get excited and rush it and it will run like shit. And that's when you get disheartened because it's not like it's a 10 minute job to rebuild it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 09:16 PM)Niall Wrote: Ginge providing you provide me somewhere to sleep, I will come down and help ya. This engine will be epic but you just need to take time and do it properly. Get excited and rush it and it will run like shit. And that's when you get disheartened because it's not like it's a 10 minute job to rebuild it!

...hence giving myself a YEAR to do it.

But yeh, i'll feed you, house you, sleep with you, you name it, i'll provide it Inlove
Thanks given by:
Sweet. I've got a few fantasies I want to try out. Game?

Give me a bit of notice and I'm happy to come and help ya. Will be in my element taking engines apart!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 09:20 PM)Niall Wrote: Sweet. I've got a few fantasies I want to try out. Game?

Give me a bit of notice and I'm happy to come and help ya. Will be in my element taking engines apart!

yeh, game on! we can exchange fantasies and the such like and perhaps play a few games...

any way, yeh, with your experience on 1.8 dismantling, we'll get it done in a few days Smile
Thanks given by:
Could even have an iow meet with more than two cars :O
Thanks given by:
Can they fit more than 2 cars?
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 09:44 PM)Scott Wrote: Can they fit more than 2 cars?

Yeah easily. Just getting them there is the problem. Ever seen castaway?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Stop hijacking this PLEASE..

but yeh, a mini-meet would be good, Tom, you'd make a great tea-lady, unless you decide to one day get your posh clothes dirty and learn something and chip in Wink
Thanks given by:
I'll learn something and chip in Wink if you need a spare pair of hands tomorrow morning, give me a text, free until work at half two.
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 09:57 PM)thms182 Wrote: I'll learn something and chip in Wink if you need a spare pair of hands tomorrow morning, give me a text, free until work at half two.

Come to cowes for 10am mate? i'll chuck you a text. Cheers!
Thanks given by:
Keeping it alive - got back to the scrappy today to get the head off - had a bit of a PITA with the cambelt cover, but was the fault of myself not seeing a bolt at the back of the cover i missed..... ANYWAY... got the head off with just a standard wrench - who needs breaker bars - and someone had also cut the exhaust prior to me taking it so didnt need to touch that side of it! winning!

[Image: IMG_1409.jpg]

Then found the HG is still re-usable! WINNING!!

[Image: IMG_1407.jpg]

But unfortunately ended being unable to get the gearbox off - i got 3 bolts off the top of the box - the driver side shaft came out (just above the bottom engine mount), would this prevent the box coming off? i would have thought the box would still drop with it in that end?

Anyway, 3 bolts around the top of the box, and the only bolts in the bottom were on the sheeth to protect the fly. It seems to be stuck from the INSIDE? i dont want to have to take the box aswell as i dont want/need/afford it.

For the LOLS and a worthy tool

[Image: IMG_1412.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You forgot the sad picture where you cut your finger...
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2012, 12:47 PM)thms182 Wrote: You forgot the sad picture where you cut your finger...

I would like to see this picture...
Thanks given by:
http://i.imgur.com/dW6Rt.jpg?1

..it wouldnt stop bleeding Undecided
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2012, 01:08 PM)ginge191 Wrote: http://i.imgur.com/dW6Rt.jpg?1

Haha, ANOTHER cut on your fingers... so clumsy.
Thanks given by:
Your a massive girl ginge.

Although good to see some progress being made
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
...cuts hurt, and the sight of blood makes me FAINT!

lol i jokes, in al seriousness, i was worried of getting blood on the exposed engine... so was just pressing it until it stopped.

Getting back there on saturday to get this out once and for all!
Thanks given by:
Erm, sorry if i'm stating the blindingly obvious, but you have disconnected the clutch, right..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-06-2012, 03:21 PM)Poodle Wrote: Erm, sorry if i'm stating the blindingly obvious, but you have disconnected the clutch, right..?

...disconnecting the clutch? im sure when we did my dturbo, the clutch fork come off simultaneously as the box (if that makes sense.. i was assuming this XU engine would have the same principle. In all honesty, we had to leave by lunchtime, so only had about 10minutes before ACTUALLY trying to get the box off, spent most of the time disconnecting the entire loom (still there if anyone needs it), gear and clutch linkages.
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2012, 01:15 PM)MissTait_GTI6 Wrote:
(28-06-2012, 01:08 PM)ginge191 Wrote: http://i.imgur.com/dW6Rt.jpg?1

Haha, ANOTHER cut on your fingers... so clumsy.

Don't worry, I nursed him back to health. And it wasn't even awkward...
Thanks given by:
Oh them bores look clean!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(28-06-2012, 04:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Oh them bores look clean!

In all fairness, up close, that hatching you were saying about... Still visible. Slight surfac crap but should scrub up, what you reckon?
Thanks given by:
When you go back, take a brillo pad with you and some 3in1 and give one a clean up and make sure it cleans up easily with no pitting. It's difficult to say with that photo.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
awesome project, none of this of the shelf kit stuff is what I like to see! would be keen to do similar to my 6 and keeping it low boost so run on standard internals, really not sure how much they can take reliably
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
That's what i would have expected to happen too, but we had this issue when it came to taking apart the cabby engine.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: