Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worn Diff and how to know what gearbox’s what?
You guys are really helping me out thank you
I appreciate the reference to servicebox cos I was hoping to put my VIN in to get some more details on the car but is it maybe now only available paid-for?
Yeah the hub nuts on mine are the peened over type.
So... If it’s the case that the 20CE28 stamped  isn’t overly important and I went for any 1.4/1.6 MA box am I risking  ending up with different splines..?
I waded through a lot of listings for driveshafts last year and it seemed there were quite a choice of spline numbers being offered  (I thought it best I count them myself.)
Although ekjdm14 that’s a kind offer I would prefer to accept if you know the number of output splines is 22.
Probably though I really ought to mention the other continuing mystery noise  It just might relate to the wear in the diff or indicate the box is screwed even
For context you should know that my 1.4 lives on a steep hill at the top of a rough as dogs dirt/rock track , so if there’s a noise brewing this is where it’ll find it’s voice!
Taking off on the flat there’s a bit of a  clunk  but taking the car up the track with any of the necessary gusto needed yields a dull THUMP! Loud, low down and probably central
So, I’ve changed everything I can think of: ARB rubber, ARB extensions , RH wishbone arm TRE , RH driveshaft and support  bearing , rebuilt the Front suspension.replaced the RH hub too.

Still this bloody THUMP, which really sounds like an engine part hitting  the body but I’ve changed all the engine /gearbox mounts in the hunt...
COULD that be emanating from the diff wear or gearbox wear?! I can’t believe it, but I haven’t found the cause of it yet either!
Thought I’d better mention it though...
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Worn Diff and how to know what gearbox’s what? - by Rob Mudhouse - 22-02-2021, 10:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handling on a worn out rear beam? JTaylor2005 11 3,453 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Does my beam look worn out? JTaylor2005 23 2,326 23-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Worn master cylinder seals (pics) 306Puggy 32 8,130 27-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Last Post: 306Puggy