Project dirty deezel 206 1.1 to XUD9TE :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project dirty deezel 206 1.1 to XUD9TE :D
OK so seeing as the 206info forum has gone missing, presumed dead Sad I'll post the latest update on this project here!

To bring folks up to speed seeing as the original thread is now probably lost, in March this year we picked up a 2003 Pug 206 1.1S as a non-runner with the intention of swapping in a tuned 1.9TD.  The car arrived and was missing it's BSM (underbonnet fuse box). Threw one in and it fired up and ran/drove beautifully, bonus nachos, we sold the original engine/box for £50 to a guy who exports stuff to West Africa.

That funded the purchase of an "unknown" D8A on a K14 that'd been sat in a shed for years and was full of cobwebs. Test fire of that proved it sound except for a gummed up pump so the next thing was a gearbox.  Initially we found a DW10 out of a 406 with it's 'box for £30 locally, and were planning to use that but then fate took over and we spotted a high mileage 206 GTi with a blown HG and rust issues, £300 and it actually drove OK and had been cared for by the last owner, had a good interior/lowered beam/coilovers and best of all GTi180 alloys with brand new Rainsport 3's all round! Oh, and a spoiler from France that we've not seen before. 

Bargain, and I took the decision at that point to go with the GTi gearbox, as the ratios would suit our intended use of back road bruiser better than the high-ratio one from the 406 (plus the 406 would've meant faffing with cable shift/pull clutch and DMF). Another bonus when I pulled the 'box, the clutch kit was brand spanking! So that was the drivetrain sorted.

Next issue was making an engine never intended for a 206, fit, in a 206... The GTi gearbox mount is the only standard item now, top engine mount is scratch built from 1/2" steel bar & lower mount is Xantia TD but brought down and out some on adaptor plates to align the driveshaft bearing, coupled to the crossmember by a modified 206 dogbone.  Then wiring, stripping out redundant crap from the petrol loom & connecting the few sensors left & adding a glow plug relay.  Cooling and induction system are largely Xantia TD shoehorned into a hacked up 206 fan shroud/slam panel, still have to add a cooling fan behind the rad as no room for the stock one.  FMIC just about fits between the front chassis legs with a little trimming.  Some creativity needed for the header tank, it's now a GTi item relocated in the vent/plenum area behind the strut tower.

Probably forgotten more than I've remembered at this point, but the car made it's maiden voyage on Tuesday. 20 minutes later it was sat in a puddle of 80W/90 and had to be towed home  Censored  I forgot to put the hockey sticks in the intermediate bearing! Least it was nothing major, a bit of swearing and sweating later and Wednesday saw a better run and the first real pulls to see how she's faring.

Boost gauge and EGT not working as chinese rubbish, but tuning by eye/ear we have a nice idle with a slight lope to it, not too much smoke off-boost and seat-of-pants I'm saying it's over 160bhp peak.  We do have a dyno local to us so may discuss a run or two when it's been shaken down some more & has a cooling fan/gauges working.  Anyway, have to go out now but may well be back here if 206info is indeed lost for ever ahaha.  (Thanks due to members here and previous threads for helping me work out the pump issues we initially had, sticky vanes FTL!)
Thanks given by:
welcome to one of the last x06 forums Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ah, info came back, somebody must've put 50p in the meter! Still glad to be here too, and appreciate everyone who keeps it going Smile

Car's officially on the road now, still needs work but it's driveable at least. Did the 306 survive long enough to see multiplexing? That's been the biggest pain with this project, the BSI/ECU/both has/have thrown a truly massive hissy fit and now it refuses to see the rev counter input, which means it never knows the car is running, which means permanent ECO mode, which also means the dash goes to sleep every 5 minutes as well as no lights/wipers/blower motor etc. Got the lights and wipers sorted the old-school way for now & If we can't work a solution for the unhappy electronics then eventually I'll just go through the whole lot wiring it non-plexed. (or smash the BSI open and give the dash and blower relays a seperate IGN live to keep them awake when it's running haha)
Thanks given by:
RIP K14 lol, not sure whether to laugh or cry! It was going so well, but always knew the KKK was a short-term snail. Just didn't expect it to be one-week-short!

Was running about 27psi at the time, throttle pedal got stuck on the carpet as I pushed it too hard and in the moment, turned the key off at 5k+ RPM and when I'd sorted the pedal out the turbo wasn't playing any more. Guessing it was the hot-stop that killed it, but will have to check when it's out of the car. Off to ebay-land now to compare used GT20 prices Vs K14 CHRA's.
Thanks given by:
Gutting for you but also an opportunity to upgrade! Smile
Thanks given by:
Always was on the cards pushing an unknown-provenance K14, just wasn't expecting it to be something silly that killed it.

I'm still clinging onto the hope that it might've just fried the oil in the bearing and I can resurrect it while we get the bits together (looking at TD04-12T currently) but not holding my breath! Off to sweat under the car now and see what the damage is!
Thanks given by:
Well it's not the hot stop that killed it... BOOM! Photos of carnage hopefully attached!
OK maybe not "there has been an error due to your post data being empty"... my hairy a*se!

Should be able to see the exploded turbine wheel here then-: http://www.206info.co.uk/Forums/viewtopi...tml#658773
Thanks given by:
Err, yea, that looks terminal!
Thanks given by:
Just a little bit yeah, we actually went back to where it blew last night and found more chunks on the ground. Seems it actually saved the engine though as from where the bits were, the turbine exploded just before I would've let off & found the throttle stuck. So, the turbo being dead actually prevented the engine from buzzing up to 7k+ and doing the bottom end in!

Every cloud & all that, much rather be replacing the turbo than finding another XUD lump so soon after the conversion! Will obviously be going on a hunt for boost leaks and getting an EGT that actually works before making any more powahz having seen this, the only reasons I can think for an exploded turbine is over-speeding the turbo so probably either boost leak or it just didn't like making 27psi at 5k+ rpm.

Would appreciate input from anyone else pushing a K14 hard, what sort of boost would they normally hold up to (talking in terms of a healthy used one lasting 6-months to a year, not super long term) and anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if it was a boost leak or if I've just asked too much of it!

Cheers
Thanks given by:
If noone comes back to you with some suggestions you could trawl through this thread https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=15608

You may well have looked at it already but it has info on the many different mods people have done (Inc boost figures) n power they're making. There are pages & pages of it!
Thanks given by:
Yep I've read that post over a few times with great interest Big Grin Even posted in it a couple of days before the turbine shat (maybe that was a foreshadowing!)

The best power from a K14 I saw on that thread was Ruan (who I gather from other threads, is rather the expert on hissing snails) and he was making 140+ on an 11mm pump but no mention of boost figures/revs so from that I'd say I was very much pushing it waaaay too hard to last lol.
Hoping the new turbo (GT2056V) gets here in double quick time now, as our only other road-ready car (206 GTi180) has just decided now is a great time to shit it's gearbox! The joys of old pugs haha
Thanks given by: