G-day.....another 306 Aussie Newbie!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-day.....another 306 Aussie Newbie!
Hi forum

It’s all new to me! Whilst in Covid-19 lockdown my son and I decided to take on a project car........it’s a nice way to while away time in Sydney.

His brother had an old 1997 Peugeot 306 N5 2.0 16v XSi (XU10J4R) which he picked up from a mate.
He’d had enough of it and left it for his brother.  So now it’s me and the youngest getting this ready for the road!

What have we done? ( I don’t mean, bugger, what have we done?  I mean, progress so far !)

Not being mechanics it’s all been Haynes, internet and you tube. With visits to a local wrecker in Sydney (lots of times), some local aftermarket bits and stuff shipped from Europe (Estonians are pretty quick at delivery even during covid!)

Anyway, fixed so far:
- all 4 brake disc’s renewed 
- all pads renewed
- all 4 calipers refurbished completely (thanks Bigred for pistons and seals)
- new drivers door wiring loom (from breakers yard)
- new hinge loom ( as above)
- oil, fuel and air filter
- changed oil, steering fluid and brake fluid
- new wipers!

Have just received serpentine and timing belt, plus water pump, power steering pump, crank pulls and other timing belt pulleys etc.........ready to change timing belt (fingers x there......never done it before, or most of the above!)

So that’s about it to date. Only new drama we’ve got is a bit of roughness in steering and a faint banging sound every now and then from somewhere on suspension is guess. Will post on a forum as I progress.

Biggest query though is that I looked at steering rack today and noticed a worn gator on drivers side steering rack rod.   It’s full of grit and not much grease (shite steering doh!) in the steering rack. Probably not something I can refurb, though the rest looks ok......including links, ram and rods etc.

There’s not a lot of options for aftermarket Peugeot parts here and shipping is expensive.
Are there any alternative new aftermarket power steering racks that i could fit? 
Or other vehicle brands I could look at searching for?

That’s me and my project. I’ll post the query in the right spot too!

Thanks for any help.
Mark

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum mate!

banging from the suspension is common for the rear axle mount to body bushes to wear out. Should be pretty easy to check with a lever.

Clean the steering rod and fit a new gator. If the seal had failed, all the power steering fluid would have probably pissed out. Smile

what kind of roughness? like a notch every half turn?
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
welcome to the club. Sounds like a ripper!
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2020, 08:08 AM)Eeyore Wrote: welcome to the club. Sounds like a ripper!
Cheers Eeyore......hopefully a bloody ripper in the end!!

(26-04-2020, 06:47 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Welcome to the forum mate!

banging from the suspension is common for the rear axle mount to body bushes to wear out. Should be pretty easy to check with a lever.

Clean the steering rod and fit a new gator. If the seal had failed, all the power steering fluid would have probably pissed out. Smile

what kind of roughness? like a notch every half turn?
Thanks for getting back Martin.
ive posted in the suspension thread some pics........
How would I get into the rack and pinion to clean it out?

Roughness is a grinding/ stiffness (no shit I hear you say once you’ve seen pics).
Thanks given by:
Welcome along to the club Mark. Seems like you've been doing some good work.

This thread might be helpful when it comes to the timing belt but feel free to ask lots of questions if you want. I've done a few on the 16v XSi's now. https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=36733
Thanks given by: Jellomanpie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New from aussie Quietone 3 3,553 27-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Quietone
  Aussie XT owner looking to track day Conza 6 2,204 25-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Matt