Howzit? Anyone know anything about 306 s16?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howzit? Anyone know anything about 306 s16?
Yo, how's everyone doing?

I'm new here, just purchased a 1996 306 s16. It is in need of some tlc and to date I have little experience on working on vehicles so this seemed the obvious place to start. Apart from an introduction I was hoping for some guidance in where to start. 
The car was sold to me as a project having sat since 2013 :0 It was in a garage for a bit, maybe 2-3 years then under a cover. Actually looks pretty decent considering. I'll post pics when I figure this forum stuff out as I've never been on one before.

I look forward to hearing from you all,  

Peace and happiness
Thanks given by:
welcome to the club. The S16 is sure to go up in value soon enough. Best to give it a good service and check everything over. The rear axle beam and any rust around the chassis legs and sills behind the front wheels are likely to be your biggest issues.
Thanks given by: Lufta
Welcome along to the club. The S16 is a rare beast. I can't claim to know a lot about the engine, other than it has something called an ACAV system which can need attention.

Suspension will be v similar to later GTI-6,  XSi & HDi so sourcing suitable parts shouldn't be to much of an issue. Front wish bone bushes have a habit of needing attention, along with rear beam as mentioned by Eeyore.

Electrical issues tend to plague cars of this age so you may have to deal with a few of those. As a min get yourself a multimeter n do some research online about how to chase such issues down. It's a steep learning curve but enjoyable if you like getting to grips with new stuff n overcoming a challenge.  Really common issues are fuel pump relay connection block, fan relay connection block n door wiring failure.

Have a read through the guides section n suspension / steering & electrical sections for more ideas on issues to look out for.

Good luck with the project!
Thanks given by: Lufta
(28-07-2019, 08:33 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Welcome along to the club. The S16 is a rare beast. I can't claim to know a lot about the engine, other than it has something called an ACAV system which can need attention.

Suspension will be v similar to later GTI-6,  XSi & HDi so sourcing suitable parts shouldn't be to much of an issue. Front wish bone bushes have a habit of needing attention, along with rear beam as mentioned by Eeyore.

Electrical issues tend to plague cars of this age so you may have to deal with a few of those. As a min get yourself a multimeter n do some research online about how to chase such issues down. It's a steep learning curve but enjoyable if you like getting to grips with new stuff n overcoming a challenge.  Really common issues are fuel pump relay connection block, fan relay connection block n door wiring failure.

Have a read through the guides section n suspension / steering & electrical sections for more ideas on issues to look out for.

Good luck with the project!
Glad to be here. I really had no idea, I just saw the car and it really got my attention. Despite it's aesthetic flaws. 

It has been a steep curve already but thoroughly enjoyable. Will start reading and no doubt you'll hear from me again. 

Also thanks for the reply, as a new guy I really appreciate it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Howzit from Tipp. (pic hoovy) Mex Giro 17 3,863 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Last Post: 7057sam