Exhaust rattle - how many clamps should there be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust rattle - how many clamps should there be?
Developed a rattle, feeling confident it's a loose or missing clamp. It sounds like a tin can and I can replicated it when I shake around the silencer at the rear. I can see along the exhaust one metal clamp, a rubber thing and a metal hook type thing holding the exhaust on. How many clamps should be there? I can't figure out what's missing can't find a good diagram in my Haynes manual or online
Thanks given by:
so the rear has 3 rubber hangers. There is a join from the back box to the centre pipe and then a join from the centre pipe to the cat. There is then a join from cat to manifold but its not a clamp. So 2 clamps, 3 rubbers.
Thanks given by: Charlie0
(19-02-2019, 07:10 PM)Eeyore Wrote: so the rear has 3 rubber hangers. There is a join from the back box to the centre pipe and then a join from the centre pipe to the cat. There is then a join from cat to manifold but its not a clamp. So 2 clamps, 3 rubbers.

Uhoh. Best get this sorted ASAP
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2019, 09:42 PM)Charlie0 Wrote:
(19-02-2019, 07:10 PM)Eeyore Wrote: so the rear has 3 rubber hangers. There is a join from the back box to the centre pipe and then a join from the centre pipe to the cat. There is then a join from cat to manifold but its not a clamp. So 2 clamps, 3 rubbers.

Uhoh. Best get this sorted ASAP

The rear does have 3 but some back boxes only have two hangers (rubber), i'ts seen this twice and the hangers have always been nearest the rear bumper which puts a fair amount of stress on the clamp that connects the back box to the center section
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
what does the rattle sound like?
I've got a "tinny" one on mine (brake shield). I just need some decent weather to faff about under there.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
May even be metal inside the box has corroded away and broken, a rattle inside the silencer. petrol powered are more prone but it can happen with a diesel.
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt worry. Just make sure it is secure. Check for where there should be rubber and clamps. If there was a clamp missing im sure youd be able to tell and it wouldnt stay on for long!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  manual window winder rattle, help! OMEGAxCC 3 2,167 23-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Last Post: OMEGAxCC
  Common rattle points lolsteve 20 6,507 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Last Post: samass