Cold start issue- fuel pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold start issue- fuel pump?
Hi wondering if anyone knows of a quick fix. When I start my car it has a lumpy idle and a lot of smoke but it's been getting progressively worse over the last few months. Glow plugs were changed (well- 3 of them anyway) no effect. One peculiarity i'm noticing now is after starting when it's going through it's lumpy smokey phase the accelerator pedal is very stiff and takes a bit of force to move. Now I am a logical person and know the pedal connects directly to the fuel pump (Lucas) but my knowledge of fuel pumps and their working is minimal so does anyone have any suggestion where the problem may be? Is there a single component or adjustment that could cure this- the pedal is not stiff and moves freely before start up btw
Thanks given by:
So the pedal isn't stiff, Then becomes stiff when it's first started and running lumpy and then clears itself and becomes not stiff again or does it remain stiff?
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reply,

Engine off the pedal is normal, once started it goes quite stiff and engine belches out a lot of smoke but after being depressed the pedal returns to normal however the lumpiness continues for a minute or so. Warm starts there are no issues
Thanks given by:
If it's got a cold start cable, i'd temporarily disconnect it and cable tie the cold start lever into the "hot" position, then go from there.

also I'd check the lever which connects the throttle arm to the advance and make sure it has nearly no play in it.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,476 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby
  Is immobiliser coded to fuel pump? Huddo 2 1,523 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  Timing / Pump Issue macleod8901 6 1,939 06-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb