inlet manifold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inlet manifold
Ok how much of a pita is it to remove the inlet manifold so i can clean the ports etc., I suspect they may be blocked. The reason being the engine seems to make a knocking noise on one cylinder, due to combustion i think, and, when the air hose is off the main intake pipe there seems to be a slight "blow back". The turbo seems to be all ok but the slight blow back may be because of a blocked inlet track in the head/manifold ????

The knock does seem to be getting a bit less as i added some fuel system cleaner and left to engine running at 15 to 2k revs for about an hour each time, and drove the car yesterday.

Any thoughts??

When starting there does not seem to be a lack of compression on one cylinder, and the injectors all seem to be as warm/hot as each other when engine running. No smoke seen and oil level is as before, virtually no oil used between yearly oil change, but the slight leaks do seem to be getting a little worse.
Thanks given by:
id be surprised if an entire port of an inlet manifold was blocked. Im sure some diesel maniac will be along shortly to throw some ideas in the hat.
Thanks given by:
Had an Almera diesel, most inlet ports where at least a 1/3 blocked at the inlet manifold to head joint area, one was about 1/2 blocked.
Thanks given by:
It's easy enough with the engine out of the car but pretty much impossible in situ I would think! Highest miler I stripped was 170k though and the inlet was barely chocked at all, 1 or 2mm max. Nothing like the PD Golfs that really coked up by 130k.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I very much doubt you have a blocked inlet manifold passage as I'd image it would cause a lot more damage than a knocking noise. It's a pure guess but maybe an injector is at fault. Do you have access to diagnostics? If not a leakoff test might be a good test.

Like Toms306 says it can be removed but would be a rite pain in the buttocks.
Thanks given by:
Much more likely to be a dodgy injector. Inlet manifold is possible to get off on the car, but it's a bastard of a job.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks especially for the picture of the manifold.

The injector seems to be working as the knock noise seems to be much less but still there.
Will pp2000 it this weekend and see what that says. also a leak off test and temp test of each injector.

It only seems to make the noise under load, slight load and full load......hope its not a bototm end problem....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inlet manifold gasket dr_jekyll 2 1,180 04-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  inlet manifold removal tysonbully2k12 25 5,421 09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Last Post: tysonbully2k12
  inlet manifold thebluepearl 9 2,007 25-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye