Smoke from the big pulley

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke from the big pulley
Tried jump starting a pos golf with a mate yesterday

My mate tried starting it about 8 times before I went round and noticed that it had 'Immobiliser Active' on the dash so it was never going to start, at this point my car smelt hot and was smoking from what I assume is the crank pulley (big one at the bottom?)

I also noticed the idle had dropped from around 1000 to 800 this morning it idled at 800 and once I got to work about a 20 minute drive it was smoking again

How do I go about fixing this?
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
if its a hdi 2l then 800 is the idle speed, but check.

smoke, aux drive belt overheating or even the crank pulley "rubber sandwich" getting hot, must be heat and quite a bit for smoke, unless belt slipping or something getting tight.

check aux drive belt as that failings can bunch up around pullies pressing in the plastic cam belt cover taking the cam belt out, destroyed engine, dont boost start with a pug 306 or any modern car, use a battery
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2018, 10:32 AM)pug306driver Wrote: if its a hdi 2l then 800 is the idle speed, but check.

smoke, aux drive belt overheating or even the crank pulley "rubber sandwich" getting hot, must be heat and quite a bit for smoke, unless belt slipping or something getting tight.

check aux drive belt as that failings can bunch up around pullies pressing in the plastic cam belt cover taking the cam belt out, destroyed engine, dont boost start with a pug 306 or any modern car, use a battery

That might be the idle speed but Mine always idles closer to 1000 so it's a drop down to 800 didn't know if that was significant or not

The belt it's self doesn't feel that but the pulley is definitely what's smoking something happened when we were jump starting it so could the tensioner have moved or something?

If the belt got looser I wouldn't imagine it would start smoking so I'm thinking it's gotten tighter? Or the pulley has moved and is rubbing against something but surely the pulley could just shift?

I'll have a look at what you mentioned though, although the belt looked straight and doesn't seem to be damaged, it also isn't making any weird noises so I think it's a pulley or something connected to the belt has gone?
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
The aux belt tensioner is sprung loaded on the HDi, it can't just tighten itself.

I would say the smoke and smell probably came from the alternator given you were trying to jump start at the time.

Remove the aux belt and see if the smoke continues.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2018, 12:32 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The aux belt tensioner is sprung loaded on the HDi, it can't just tighten itself.

I would say the smoke and smell probably came from the alternator given you were trying to jump start at the time.  

Remove the aux belt and see if the smoke continues.

The smoke is definitely coming from the pulley at the bottom of the engine and not the alternator?

I'll find a guide on the belt, get it off and see if it continues my thought is that its the pulley is rubbing on something i'll get it in the air tonight and find out whats kuput

Thanks for the help
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
To clear this up the A/C Pump has broken and doesn't spin freely

The pulley would jam up, the belt would rub creating the smoke

I've bought a shorter belt (Gates 6PK1173) which I'm going to use when I remove the broken pump
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
Ah, makes sense! Don't leave it too long, if the aux belt snaps on these it often takes the cambelt out as well.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2018, 01:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah, makes sense!  Don't leave it too long, if the aux belt snaps on these it often takes the cambelt out as well.

Changing it tomorrow or Sunday whenever the belt comes, I'm not driving it either

Not buzzing for changing it over a rainy weekend though!
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
LOL it's character building stuff Smile or stay dry with this - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p22386
Thanks given by:
Glad you found the problem before you get more......interestingly the citroen despatch with the dw10 engine has no a/con but uses an idler pulley where the a/con pump is, didnt have the time to remove that ( wanted the engine as well but hayho ) before the scrap man came, he came early the bugger.
Thanks given by:
I thought it was possible to jump start modern cars. if done with care.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Is it worth the risk i wonder.....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,097 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle