Rattly injectors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rattly injectors
Mine's had a rattler for the eight years that I've owned it,so I don't know
why I'm bothering now.

But anyway,is the only cure for a rattler to change it(it was when I read about it yonks ago),or is there some other devious dodge nowadays?
Thanks given by:
Can get refurbed, but its all big dollar $$$ . I think the cheapest option is to find low mileage 307(?) injectors in scrappy?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I think (but i could be wrong) that some of the 307 injectors are coded to the ECU
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes, the siemens ones are, you need the bosch. Tbh with what scrappers are charging for injectors these days, i'd just go for refurbs. They're usually about £70 per injector (for exchange) and you know you've got virtually new items in there (ie another 150k miles), rather than having a set from a car that, for all you know, could have the same problem. And you'll see a noticeable improvement in economy, at least i certainly did, nearly 4mpg.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
There is a thread over on theywhoshallnotbenamed and some people are saying reducing the advance of the pre-injection removes the ticking noise a bit, since later cars have reduced pre-injection advance.

However, I'd want to do a test before/after to confirm it using some actual recording equipment etc... not just go on what I thought it sounded like had changed.

I'm also cautious about just changing maps to alter a noise without knowing WHY the later cars had it adjusted, and why the early ones had it the way they did.

Lastly, all the HDi's I've seen have ticked to some extent or another. I don't really notice it or care about it. These engines run to 200k without issues even on original pumps/injectors if looked after, so something must be right Big Grin

Recon injectors will probably reduce the volume of the ticking, but chances are if they have over 60k miles on them then recon injectors will do the engine the world of good in lots of other ways too any way which is the better reason for fixing them any way Big Grin

PS, will someone send me a PM, just so I can check the forum sends me an email?

Thanks Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
PM sent.

Interesting about the pre-injection adv, might have a nose about that...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's worth looking at yeah.

Certainly worth doing some power tests too, see if the output changes. Any requested injection amount must be split internally over the injections, so running a given IQ later probably means 'general' end of injection is later too, which might mean higher EGT at full throttle with tuning, which might not be ideal...

All needs a proper test really to see, but I'm betting later changes were nothing really to do with cabin tapping noise reduction but more emissions control. Later cars might just have better noise insulation to begin with for instance.
I'm also guessing the reduced advance might make the car sound more diesel clattery from the outside, despite being less tappy inside.

Hmmmmm

Dave
Thanks given by:
My thoughts exactly. Most changes made to any engine in the last few years appear mostly to have been about emissions, and not always with good consideration given to long-term engine health.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mr Whippy Wrote:There is a thread over on theywhoshallnotbenamed and some people are saying reducing the advance of the pre-injection removes the ticking noise a bit, since later cars have reduced pre-injection advance.

However, I'd want to do a test before/after to confirm it using some actual recording equipment etc... not just go on what I thought it sounded like had changed.

I'm also cautious about just changing maps to alter a noise without knowing WHY the later cars had it adjusted, and why the early ones had it the way they did.

Lastly, all the HDi's I've seen have ticked to some extent or another. I don't really notice it or care about it. These engines run to 200k without issues even on original pumps/injectors if looked after, so something must be right Big Grin

Recon injectors will probably reduce the volume of the ticking, but chances are if they have over 60k miles on them then recon injectors will do the engine the world of good in lots of other ways too any way which is the better reason for fixing them any way Big Grin

PS, will someone send me a PM, just so I can check the forum sends me an email?

Thanks Big Grin

Dave
I had a rattler in work last year, with ppo you could see the noise coming and going with the pre-injection!!
My van is a rattler too but I dont care enough to actually go flashing the ecu lol the suspension noises drown it out, maybe I'll get bored one day, whats your thoughts on reducing or doing away with it completely?
Thanks given by:
Pre-injection despite adding rattling noises inside the car, probably heavily reduces the diesel clatter from outside the car.

You can easily reduce pre-injection to test it, but I wouldn't really advise it as the outcome in any event won't be a desirable one over the long term. Certainly something to tinker with for those inclined though.

I'm fairly certain to get really nice results from it you'd want, as usual, an engine dyno and lots of test gear to see the overall changes... or at the worst a LOT of on-road testing with an EGT probe and also some gear to test engine sound quantity/quality with.

I have a feeling it'll just push EGT up as more injection is done later, and harden the diesely noise from the outside.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Mr Whippy Wrote:Pre-injection despite adding rattling noises inside the car, probably heavily reduces the diesel clatter from outside the car.

You can easily reduce pre-injection to test it, but I wouldn't really advise it as the outcome in any event won't be a desirable one over the long term. Certainly something to tinker with for those inclined though.

I'm fairly certain to get really nice results from it you'd want, as usual, an engine dyno and lots of test gear to see the overall changes... or at the worst a LOT of on-road testing with an EGT probe and also some gear to test engine sound quantity/quality with.

I have a feeling it'll just push EGT up as more injection is done later, and harden the diesely noise from the outside.

Dave
While 'researching' something I found, 2 different vehicles with the same engine, one run with pre-injection (laguna dci) and the other none at all, map zero'd (vivaro van dci). I only looked at the 2 and never went on to see if there was a trend in the vans or was it the country the guy who give me ori was from though........
Thanks given by: