Upper Strut Brace Fitting Question

Poll: Bothered about taking ECU lid off?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'll just take the lid off.
42.86%
9 42.86%
I'll just modify my own.
14.29%
3 14.29%
I'd rather have a modified lid/box on offer too.
14.29%
3 14.29%
Make a different design instead you twat.
28.57%
6 28.57%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Strut Brace Fitting Question
Oh yeah, NOW you'll move the f*cking lid....lol
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Looks good, no adjustment at all though?

Could be an issue given im yet to find two 306's with struts in the same place haha! Looks pretty strong compared to most of the current market, altho a proper plate at each end would look / be strong possibly?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I was going to do plate but it meant fooking about at the laser cutters (and passing over enough cash for 100 of 'em to start with, 'm a yorkshireman, can't be doing that lol ) and making something for the press to put the curve on it to make it meet up to the strut top properly, ends up just as stiff doing it like this tbh.

No adjustment, no, but the end fittings are tilted up slightly so it tensions as it's torqued down the same as the lower braces do with the slight twist in them, had it on 3 so far and it fits fine, going to try a few more though! ninja
Certainly a lot stiffer than the cheap alloy ones going by the press, about an order of magnitude stiffer in fact lmao
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Ill drive up if you want to try it on another car Wink. Need a harness bar too! Hopefuly you can incorporate a MCS because it makes a big difference in Jap cars and the bulkhead is like paper in these cars!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I had one on my car with the old strut brace and it makes a fair difference.
Thanks given by:
looks good Smile
Thanks given by:
That looks amazing I'd even consider one Big Grin
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Right, bit of a rubbing issue still on the TU engined models (ecu cover again...), and the Ph1 cars bonnet stay bracket rubs the top of the brace - working on shuffling the tube over slightly, but as always, it may catch on some cars.
It's the edges where the bracket is folded over though, so 10 seconds with a ball peen or a file sorts it out - it only just kisses.

Aside from that, bit of testing on the extra's that tie into to the master cylinder to stiffen the bulkhead, they seem to be fine easy enough to adjust - although I've just found that the strut brace is stiff enough that it's possible to push the bulkhead backwards with it and lock the brakes on if you adjust the bolt too much :lol
Good old Peugeot tin foil bulkheads!

Anyhow, I'll make another one up next week with the tweaks and try it on some more phases/models again, just a wee bit of a delay.
Thanks given by:
Happy days Smile should make a massive difference to braking then!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does when it locks the brakes on Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Do it with a flat bit in the middle and then drill holes through it, would look pretty schweet.

Inb4slack ninja
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
^^And be about as stiff as a chocolate teapot like the rest of the ebay shite Big Grin
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120722_182420.jpg]
Thanks given by:
want! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Looks good mate. Big Grin
Altho i have a omp one and i can see advantages and disadvantages between urs and the omp like how urs is mounted to the top of the struts and no ajustment. if you could make this ajustable and secureing to all top strut bolts i think you would be on to a winner Smile
Thanks given by:
sex.
when, how much.
need this in my life.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 10:57 PM)R45_ODV Wrote: Looks good mate. Big Grin
Altho i have a omp one and i can see advantages and disadvantages between urs and the omp like how urs is mounted to the top of the struts and no ajustment. if you could make this ajustable and secureing to all top strut bolts i think you would be on to a winner Smile

There's no real need to pick up on all the bolts, even with just those two it's far stiffer than the thin flimsy plate most braces use, doesn't need to be adjustable either, it's slightly twisted so it tensions itself when you bolt it on, same as my lower braces do, all the adjusters do is give them somewhere to flex and add un-needed weight.

Probably end up a little more than the OMP ones just because of the extra material and welding to do, but they're approx 3x as stiff vertically, 2.5 x stiffer longitudinally and about 8-9 times stiffer laterally....as for the e-tech ones....tissue paper compared to these Big Grin

Plus, mine has the option of extra bits to add on at a later date Big Grin
Thanks given by:
What im saying is there is alot more stress on 2 bots rather than the 3 i can understand what ur saying but you have only fitted it to 3 cars and you could have trouble as no car is the same.
If where it bolts to the car was a o shape and went around the top of the strut i think it would be alot better and stronger as there will be alot less stress on the top moint bolts.
Im not trying to knock it as it does look good but i think it could be better. Just out of curiosity how much will these be? Big Grin

Also just to add what does this weigh? As it looks heavier than a omp one Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Remember those shocks i gave you? Yeah were even Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tell more about the extra bits Big Grin
i think you are on to a winner mate but i also think you can improve a litle on it even if it ends up more expensive than the omp.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't really matter about the rest of the plate though - it won't be spreading stress, in fact it's barely doing anything on the OMP's, as half of it doesn't even touch the top mount properly - but aside from that, the stress will only be transmitted in a small area around where the bolt is clamping, in mine, that's directly to a very stiff piece of vertical tube, into the crescent, again, massively stiff compared to the OMP, and straight into the main crossmember/tubes.

In an OMP, that's through bolted through a piece of 2-3mm plate, stress transmitted sideways through it all the way around the mount, then upwards through a thin plate with two bends in it already, before it even gets to the tube. And it's got an adjuster in the middle that concentrates the stress again.

There really is no point in going all the way around*, the bolts are seeing the same stress as normal, as the contact points are stiff enough to transmit the load directly to the bodywork Big Grin
Extra bits will be a master cylinder brace that bears down on the brace to improve brake feel and reduce pedal travel, which is why the brace is so stiff laterally. There may also be a fitment for an engine torque damper.

They'll be about £100, so £10-20 dearer than the OMP one (which seems to vary depending on colour for some reason!)

(22-07-2012, 11:15 PM)Connor Wrote: Remember those shocks i gave you? Yeah were even Wink

I might let you have the shocks back if you're lucky...

*Trust me, I'm a doctor. Honest.
Thanks given by:
No honestly, its ok, ill just take one of these lol

Or a heavy discount ninja
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Your loss, they've got remote canisters now and are gas pressurised ninja
Thanks given by:
Ok fine... Ill take both lol
Thanks given by:
Looks amazing mate. Would it not be best bracing to the third strut hole as otherwise you have all that force going through 2 pissy little bolts rather than 3
Thanks given by:
I'm never gonna hear the end of this am I? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Combine it with uprated bolts and I dont see an issue...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2012, 07:19 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Looks amazing mate. Would it not be best bracing to the third strut hole as otherwise you have all that force going through 2 pissy little bolts rather than 3

Someone that agrees with me Smile
Thanks given by:
Right, if you really, really, want it, there will be an option to have one that picks up on the 3rd bolt.

But given it adds 50% more bends to make, double the tube fillets, and 70% more welding, it'll add chunk of cost for little benefit, so it's up to you lot Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Good man for giving the option.
Ur defenatly on to a winner with this Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upper Steering Column Mighty306 2 1,657 09-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Vibration issues after strut brace installation S16 14 2,596 16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Last Post: S16
  OMP strut brace adjustment nuts lolsteve 6 1,374 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eeyore