New Purchase

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Purchase
My new purchase, Gti 6, got a few little issues that I need to sort.  Paid £1600, I had the 2.0L 5 Door XSI previously and I loved it.
Can anyone recommend anything that is worth doing to with regards to the engine or bodywork that helps make the car more reliable/quicker/efficient etc.

Thoughts ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

it's all about the pug life 
Thanks given by:
Nice car! Lowered on the front but not the rear?

That would be the first thing I would do: lower the car on the rear.
Thanks given by: puglife306
Hi mate, cheers Smile

yeah I have thought about this, as it is riding high at the back, may bring it down a few notches, still maybe have it slightly higher as a quite like this look Smile new to this forum so trying to get a bit involved.

Also my love for these cars completely outweighs my mechanical know how lol. So any suggestions are extremely welcome.
Thanks given by:
pop the trim inside the rear wheel arches/wings and check for corrosion. esp around seat-belt mounts.

these won't do any of the above, but a pair of wind deflectors on the doors would come in handy. esp when it rains.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Hi mate, yeah i have been told about the corrosion on the wheel arches, so i will look into that. I got myself some wind deflectors, i think they also look great !
Would you reccomend fitting a de-cat exhaust ?
Thanks given by:
many other members would. depends on future mot's
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't on a road car. Aside from the legal issues etc. you lose some low down torque on an otherwise standard engine and management system.

It's definitely worth checking if yours has a genuine cat, or a smaller pattern one fitted, as some of the cheap aftermarket ones can be restrictive and reduce power.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
good clarification Retropug.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2018, 07:55 AM)RetroPug Wrote: I wouldn't on a road car. Aside from the legal issues etc. you lose some low down torque on an otherwise standard engine and management system.

It's definitely worth checking if yours has a genuine cat, or a smaller pattern one fitted, as some of the cheap aftermarket ones can be restrictive and reduce power.

Cheers, that clears a lot up. Ill have a look an see what the cat is, and replace if needed. Anything else you would recommend to get more power ? The car pulls really nicely and is rapid through the corners and off the line, sounds beautiful as well. 

My mate drove her the other day and he said he hasn't had that much fun driving in years, I could see the smile beaming from ear to ear on his face Smile
Thanks given by:
is it ECU controlled?
some peeps recon on a stage 1 map.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
There's not a huge amount you can do to get significantly more than standard power without spending a fair bit.

I'd concentrate on getting it running tip top so it is definitely making std. power and get the brakes and handling sorted. Stef on here does great recon rear axles. That'll make it all much tighter and more fun to drive. That + the cambelt and servicing etc. will already cost a bit and then I guess you could look into getting more out of it if you want.

Oh and good tyres are a must.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2018, 07:18 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: is it ECU controlled?
some peeps recon on a stage 1 map.

I would not know. How do I find this out ?

(29-09-2018, 07:34 PM)RetroPug Wrote: There's not a huge amount you can do to get significantly more than standard power without spending a fair bit.

I'd concentrate on getting it running tip top so it is definitely making std. power and get the brakes and handling sorted. Stef on here does great recon rear axles. That'll make it all much tighter and more fun to drive. That + the cambelt and servicing etc. will already cost a bit and then I guess you could look into getting more out of it if you want.

Oh and good tyres are a must.

Yeah that's a fair point, I will definitely bear that in mind. Did not come with much paperwork, however the guy I bought it off told me it has had an engine rebuild in the last 2 years by a guy who did a lot of work for a Peugeot track team.

It is in the garage on Monday will post on this thread what they have said.

Recon rear axles - added to checklist Smile
Thanks given by:
Interesting that DVSA have it down as a diesel, and the DVLA have it as a petrol.......

[Image: Screenshot_20180930_070417.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot_20180930_070601.jpg]
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2018, 06:07 AM)Ben_w Wrote: Interesting that DVSA have it down as a diesel, and the DVLA have it as a petrol.......

What do you think this means, is it just a mistake on their part ? it is definitely a petrol.
Thanks given by:
Going to get a sports cat and a stainless exhaust with back box. Going to add wiechers strut bar, and I'm looking at the possibility of adding a throttle body or maybe even a supercharge

(30-09-2018, 12:58 PM)puglife306 Wrote:
(30-09-2018, 06:07 AM)Ben_w Wrote: Interesting that DVSA have it down as a diesel, and the DVLA have it as a petrol.......

What do you think this means, is it just a mistake on their part ? it is definitely a petrol.
Just spoke to the guy I bought it off, and he reckons they had a dodgy MOT done on it and they clicked the wrong one apparently...
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2018, 04:03 PM)puglife306 Wrote: Going to get a sports cat and a stainless exhaust with back box. Going to add wiechers strut bar, and I'm looking at the possibility of adding a throttle body or maybe even a supercharge

(30-09-2018, 12:58 PM)puglife306 Wrote:

Just spoke to the guy I bought it off, and he reckons they had a dodgy MOT done on it and they clicked the wrong one apparently...

If the DVLA have it as a petrol then I wouldn't worry. There's been a lot of odd sh!t happening with MOT descriptions lately. My beach buggy, which I've recently sold, was, on the V5, a Volkswagen saloon...it didn't have a model name. After the recent changes, it came up on the MOT as a VW transporter. A mate had the same issues. He rang the DVLA, to be told to ring the DVSA, who told him to ring the DVLA.........he decided in the end that as the DVLA had the right details, he wasn't going to do anything about it.

The DVLA have the right info for your car.....I'd leave it at that
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everything is fine, bit silly really putting the wrong fuel type but their you go. Looking to get the car up to the best possible standard, set myself a target of 1-2 years to get it their.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project: Accidental purchase.. Mitch1793 27 7,548 19-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Mitch1793