3 sets of glow plugs in 3 months???? HELP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 sets of glow plugs in 3 months???? HELP
Hi all,

about 3 months ago the glow plugs went in my 1996 306 1.9TD, I'm in Australia so this was the start of winter so didn't think anything of it.
These plugs lasted about a month before failing again. So i again replaced them and all was good for about another month. Until this week they decided to fail again!
I know they're failing as both times I've pulled each plug out and tested it, it seems that both times 3/4 plugs failed. the one that didn't fail being the second from front (cambelt end) both times.
Am i just getting an unlucky batch of glow plugs or can anyone help?
I have tested the glow plug relay which stays on for 10-15 seconds then shuts off, as it should. All injectors are getting fuel.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will.
Thanks given by:
Have you been using cheap glow plugs? If so, get yourself Bosch Duraterm plugs and you'll probably find they'll be alright. Get your alternator tested to make sure it's not outputting too much voltage and causing them to burn out (unlikely but possible).
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(30-08-2018, 11:04 AM)andywhy Wrote: Have you been using cheap glow plugs? If so, get yourself Bosch Duraterm plugs and you'll probably find they'll be alright. Get your alternator tested to make sure it's not outputting too much voltage and causing them to burn out (unlikely but possible).

They were relatively cheap glow plugs. All that was in stock at the time, so hoping that's all it is, but didn't think the cheap ones could be this bad surely?  

Will check the alternator.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
buy Beru or Bosch duraterms, should be all good then mate Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Sounds like they're the way to go! Will get some in ASAP!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glow plugs unscrew but can't be removed EdAppleton 15 3,562 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Post: EdAppleton
  Glow Plugs or what?! timpug 7 2,417 23-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Last Post: timpug
  Glow plugs on constantly bashbarnard 7 2,496 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard