Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simo's inherited 306 HDi
(28-01-2019, 10:41 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(28-01-2019, 07:03 AM)simo2007 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:31 PM)Poodle Wrote: Great progress, fair play to you. Got a pre-heater working with some xud9te plugs myself.

Wrt tyres, I found rainsports horrible, but love my Michelin ps3s. They were only ~£5 more expensive per corner.

Poodle, how long do you find it takes to get heat from your blowers with the new pre-heater plugs in?

Thanks for the replies regarding the spoiler guys, I will keep my eye out for one!

about 5-10 mins average, depending on the severity of the frost.

And are we talking 'some heat' after 5-10 mins or very hot? I would say after 5-10 mins my coolant temp is coming up to 70C and I can feel some heat...
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2019, 08:57 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 02:13 PM)306gtiparts Wrote: I've fitted stumpy self tapping screws through the 4 holes in the glass with foam washers.

Sounds like you have the smaller phase 2 spoiler.  The phase 3 one is a bit deeper and just has two bolts through the metal above the window.

No you can fit a p3 spoiler to a p2 using stumpy self tappers with foam washers in the original p2 holes in the glass. Holds much better and your not left with 4 holes in the glass.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2019, 02:55 PM)306gtiparts Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 08:57 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 02:13 PM)306gtiparts Wrote: I've fitted stumpy self tapping screws through the 4 holes in the glass with foam washers.

Sounds like you have the smaller phase 2 spoiler.  The phase 3 one is a bit deeper and just has two bolts through the metal above the window.

No you can fit a p3 spoiler to a p2 using stumpy self tappers with foam washers in the original p2 holes in the glass. Holds much better and your not left with 4 holes in the glass.

Fair enough. The OP has a ph3 tailgate already though...so the easiest option for him is to just buy a ph3 spoiler and either use the 2 standard bolts above the screen or bond it on.
Thanks given by:
5-10 minutes sees her fully up to stat temp.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The time has come to start thinking about doing the suspension components on my Grandad's car, I will be replacing the following:

Front shocks
Front springs
Top mounts
Anti roll bars
Rear shocks
Rear beam (after I source a refurb/get an old one and get it refurbed)

Since I am changing it out, and I'm not fussed about working to a budget, what is the consensus on brands and potential lowering? Bearing in mind it is a daily, so I don't want it to be a rough ride at all, but say for example getting a front strut brace would that tighten things up, or would I be better going for a small drop in ride height? I feel like the handling can be a bit 'floaty' and vague at times, but I am also fully aware that the front suspension as it stands has seen better days!

Look forward to your responses!
Thanks given by:
Bilstein B8s and Eibach springs are ideal on the front of a 306.

Gti6 rear beam has thicker torsion bars and ARB than your current meridian setup.

Never had a strut brace on one personally so can't comment on that.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2019, 06:23 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Bilstein B8s and Eibach springs are ideal on the front of a 306.

Gti6 rear beam has thicker torsion bars and ARB than your current meridian setup.

Thanks for the reply Tom! In terms of Eibach springs are we talking stock height? Does the Gti6 rear beam sit the same height as the meridian beam?
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2019, 06:28 AM)simo2007 Wrote:
(20-02-2019, 06:23 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Bilstein B8s and Eibach springs are ideal on the front of a 306.

Thanks for the reply Tom! In terms of Eibach springs are we talking stock height? Does the Gti6 rear beam sit the same height as the meridian beam?

The Eibach springs are around 30mm drop from Meridian height, there aren't any uprated springs that sit at the OE height.

The beam is about 15mm lower as standard. But can be rebuilt to your desired height when refurbished.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2019, 09:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(21-02-2019, 06:28 AM)simo2007 Wrote:

The Eibach springs are around 30mm drop from Meridian height, there aren't any uprated springs that sit at the OE height.

The beam is about 15mm lower as standard.  But can be rebuilt to your desired height when refurbished.

Thanks for your swift reply Tom, all of your points have been really helpful! I'll be posting back soon with my decision and build pictures!
Thanks given by:
Does anyone happen to know where I can get the GTI6 cyclone wheels balanced? I'm currently having them refurbished and the place I've took them can't balance them without the centreless adapter.

If anyone has any specific recommendations in Birmingham, Hertfordshire or West London that would be great!
Thanks given by:
ATS Euromaster branches often have the adapter. Getting centreless alloys balanced nowadays is a pain though so good luck finding somewhere to do it!
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2019, 07:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: ATS Euromaster branches often have the adapter.  Getting centreless alloys balanced nowadays is a pain though so good luck finding somewhere to do it!

Tom you are a true champ at replying! If we ever cross paths the first few beers are on me! I'll start calling some ATS branches!
Thanks given by:
Update: if anyone needs it done in Hertfordshire, ATS Euromaster in Welwyn Garden City do it for around £7.50 a corner.
Thanks given by: