Simo's inherited 306 HDi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simo's inherited 306 HDi
The coolant pre-heater uses glowplugs. After 15 years the glowplugs will be worn out but those particular ones aren't made any more iirc. Some people have fitted similar sized ones with good results, I believe the 1.9XUD ones fit.

As for bulbs, I've found Phillips WhiteVision to be very good after Osram life getting shorter and shorter.
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2018, 07:45 AM)MY95 Wrote: Nice update, could you upload a picture of the light range from the car inside? I’ve noticed my lights to not have a very good range so would like to improve this too!

I'll get a picture for you later mate!

Thanks Tom, would be nice to have the pre-heater work to its full potential, I'm sure the cold is going to set in quickly!
Thanks given by:
I arranged for KrisB to change my coolant preheater glowplugs, made a world of difference!
whereas before, I could be at my parents sometimes before the car got warm, (about 5-6miles) I can now get heat within a mile of leaving home.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2018, 12:27 PM)simo2007 Wrote:
(13-11-2018, 07:45 AM)MY95 Wrote: Nice update, could you upload a picture of the light range from the car inside? I’ve noticed my lights to not have a very good range so would like to improve this too!

Thanks Tom, would be nice to have the pre-heater work to its full potential, I'm sure the cold is going to set in quickly!

Sorry about the long reply for this mate but here's an off/on shot by work, not the best but you can see the brightness quite easily.

[Image: PnpYXLN.jpg]

[Image: Ec3P0XQ.jpg]

Regarding the glow plugs and pre-heater, does anyone have the part number for the 1.9XUD plugs? Really wanting to do this now as this morning it was -2C and the car took about 20 mins to start getting warm down the A1!
Thanks given by:
There are different part numbers for each manufacturer, best thing to do is find the reg of an XUD (look for one on here or ebay) and put that into one of the parts sites.

Pretty sure Poodle did the research into it so he may know the original part number, I see he's on here this morning as well. Wink
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2018, 06:36 AM)simo2007 Wrote:
(13-11-2018, 12:27 PM)simo2007 Wrote:

Sorry about the long reply for this mate but here's an off/on shot by work, not the best but you can see the brightness quite easily.

[Image: PnpYXLN.jpg]

[Image: Ec3P0XQ.jpg]

Regarding the glow plugs and pre-heater, does anyone have the part number for the 1.9XUD plugs? Really wanting to do this now as this morning it was -2C and the car took about 20 mins to start getting warm down the A1!

Looks good! Got any shots of the lights on an unlit road? Easier to gauge how good they are that way.  Those xud glow plugs warm up quicker than the HDI ones?
Thanks given by:
MY95, no I haven't I'll try to get another shot for you either later tonight or over the weekend. If anyone's willing to shoot me a XUD reg feel free and I'll look at getting these glow plugs.

When I do the o-ring on the coolant pipe (hopefully this weekend) I'll flush the heater matrix too, can't imagine that will be a clear pass for the coolant either.
Thanks given by: MY95
coolant preheater.
conversation viewable at;
https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=32503
ECP LIST; https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge...003&000164

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Diesel-Hea...7675.l2557
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: simo2007
(22-11-2018, 04:57 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: coolant preheater.
conversation viewable at;
https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=32503
ECP LIST; https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge...003&000164

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Diesel-Hea...7675.l2557

Thanks mate, that's a massive help right there, even after all my searches I didn't come across that thread!
Thanks given by:
we're all here to help! ThumbsUp
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Changed over the 4 pre heater plugs today with NGK's for the 1.9TD, also sorted the coolant pipe leak! Will report back tomorrow at some time after my journey to report back if 'insta-heat' is available or not...
Thanks given by:
Whilst the heat isn't instant, it's blowing warm air after a couple of minutes and after 10 mins driving it's up to normal running temps with hot air blowing out. Previously it could take up to 20 mins for this to happen before the heater plug change, so it has definitely made a difference! Next task is to get some all season tires on I think, anyone run Falken AS200's? Or would I be better off getting Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and not bothering with the all season/winter tire malarkey?
Thanks given by:
That sounds really good that does! I have always wondered how easy those would be to change. Was it an easy task or a bit of a nightmare?
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't recommend Rainsport 3's personally. They're alright in the wet, but they wear ridiculously quickly, the sidewalls are still quite soft so not great for fast corners (though not as bad as the older RS2's) and they're pretty noisy as well.

Not had any all seasons so far so can't comment on those.
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2018, 09:15 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: That sounds really good that does! I have always wondered how easy those would be to change. Was it an easy task or a bit of a nightmare?

Hi JT, they weren't too bad, I did have to pull quite hard on the spanner to get them undone, but after the initial shift they came out easily. Had to take the battery, battery box and air box/intake pipe out and leave the glow plug holder attached to the gearbox as you can get enough torque on the plugs to undo them! 

Tom, which tires would you recommend in your experience then?
Thanks given by:
Pilot Sport 3's in 195/50/15 are definitely one of the most popular tyre choices... the wet/dry grip is seriously impressive even when nearly fully worn out. Lasts a while too, around £70 fitted at most places (it's just trying to find a garage that can balance the cyclone wheels now which is the issue)
Thanks given by:
Depends on your budget really, for the same price as Rainsports you can get Dunlop Sport BluResponse which I really like, or Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (not to be confused with the old non performance ditchfinders) which are just slightly below the Dunlops for me.

If you can afford them, the Michelins are great, but you do have to drop to a 50 profile as Matt says, and can only get the older PS3's, the PS4s aren't made in that size. Continental Premium Contact 5's are pretty close to the Michelins.
Thanks given by:
Picked up some cyclones with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on all round with ~5mm tread, look spot on. Need a refurb but now I can get winters on the stock alloys and get these done for the summer. The rubber compared to the crap that was on the old alloys (Goodride) is a massive difference- ride and grip are superb!

[Image: Klf1uAl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice to meet you today buddy. Just read your thread you have been busy lol
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2018, 08:32 PM)306gtiparts Wrote: Nice to meet you today buddy. Just read your thread you have been busy lol

Good to meet you too mate! Those Michelin's have made a massive difference, got a feeling I'll be back in the future for more bits and bobs  Rofl
Thanks given by:
Cyclones improve the look of a 306 massively over any other standard wheels! They just suit the cars well.

I'd recommend a rear spoiler and B4's/Eibach on the front and a GTI beam on the back lowered to suit... handles really well for not much less comfort and not massive expenditure.
Thanks given by:
Nice one fella on restoring this! I am starting to look at doing mine next year,
Thanks given by:
Happy New Year everyone! Hope it was a good break.

MY95, I did speak to 306gtiparts about the rear spoiler, and he advised me to get the boot with it attached whenever one crops up!

Thanks for your kind words procta, if you have any niggles or issues that I might be able to help with feel free to shoot me a message.

5000 mile update post engine surgery:

Running like a dream, only had one issue and that was with the earth/negative cable from the negative battery terminal fraying from the gearbox earth, so I had to remove it and place it under the the gearbox earthing connection. Perhaps one more issue is with the instrument cluster, the speedo occasionally flickers (maybe once per week) and I get a flicker of the passenger side airbag warning light (orange light, right centre). Not sure whether this is the instrument cluster with a weak connection, or whether I need to hard wire the earthing strap mentioned previously on the gearbox.

I also got some winters for her, Hankook I*cept RS2's, and they are absolutely fabulous!!

Plans this year:

- Renew all suspension components apart from lower arms (already done), including rear beam. If anyone has any recommendations where to get/take a rear beam for refurbishment, please let me know, from what I've seen, avoid ImAxles and take it to Stef.
- Get cyclones refurbished for summer wheels
- Once refurbished and back on, get winter wheels refurbished (stock alloys)
- Try and source a N/S front wing in china blue
- Try and source a tail gate in china blue with spoiler pre-installed
- Check any surface corrosion and rectify (I know there is some above the spare wheel cage)
- Check calipers all round and either refurbish if problematic, or replace (most likely replace, never refurbished a caliper before)

Other plans this year:

- Try to get back on two wheels, I've had my license for near 12 years and only rode 2 of those
- The M135i might be making way for my dream car, an R35 GTR, which will be my end game because there will be no where to go after it!
- Hopefully driving down to Italy for a mini European tour, via Switzerland, because the that's what the R35 GTR was made for!
Thanks given by:
You can just drill 2 holes in your current tailgate to fit a ph3 spoiler, done it a few times myself. Others tigerseal them on without drilling holes. Either way, if you've got a decent tailgate, there's really no need to replace it for a spoiler. Also worth fitting a GTi splitter to the front bumper too...but make sure it is a GTi6 one, not the bloody Renault one people kept fitting 10 years ago! lol
Thanks given by:
I tigersealed my rear spoiler on 4 years ago and it’s still solid, no drilling needed.
Thanks given by:
I've fitted stumpy self tapping screws through the 4 holes in the glass with foam washers.
Thanks given by:
Great progress, fair play to you. Got a pre-heater working with some xud9te plugs myself.

Wrt tyres, I found rainsports horrible, but love my Michelin ps3s. They were only ~£5 more expensive per corner.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-01-2019, 02:13 PM)306gtiparts Wrote: I've fitted stumpy self tapping screws through the 4 holes in the glass with foam washers.

Sounds like you have the smaller phase 2 spoiler. The phase 3 one is a bit deeper and just has two bolts through the metal above the window.
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2019, 06:31 PM)Poodle Wrote: Great progress, fair play to you. Got a pre-heater working with some xud9te plugs myself.

Wrt tyres, I found rainsports horrible, but love my Michelin ps3s. They were only ~£5 more expensive per corner.

Poodle, how long do you find it takes to get heat from your blowers with the new pre-heater plugs in?

Thanks for the replies regarding the spoiler guys, I will keep my eye out for one!
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2019, 07:03 AM)simo2007 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:31 PM)Poodle Wrote: Great progress, fair play to you. Got a pre-heater working with some xud9te plugs myself.

Poodle, how long do you find it takes to get heat from your blowers with the new pre-heater plugs in?

Thanks for the replies regarding the spoiler guys, I will keep my eye out for one!

about 5-10 mins average, depending on the severity of the frost.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: