Transit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transit
Oh how I wish we still had the 1968 mk 1 1700 v4 petrol van tranny, it was brilliant.
Vosa has no record of it since 1991, the scrap man took it away Angry Angry Angry

We are now really considering getting a tranny for touring, so we don't have to sleep in a tent any more. The missis just doesn't like a tent any more, but I'm ok using one though.

I can see the benefits of a van, just pull up out of the way and bobs your uncle.

What year diesel tranny would be the best to go for.

I will weld one up no problem and all mechanicals would be a delight, apart from the cost that is.

I would prefer an older van, no ecu, no air bags, no abs, no electronics at all apart form an alternator would be good. A short wheel base and low roof would also be suitable, so it would fit under the present car port.

Any advise please......as well as ball park cost of a suitable van to do up???
Thanks given by:
The smiley Transits have none of the electonics you mention and actually rust less than the mk6.
As my tagline suggests, i have fondled a few mk5 transits and still am,  as my thread proves.
They are available for anything from scrap money to strong money. I wouldn't pay over £500 for one now, you say you are up for welding, thats inevitable.
Most panels are available and cheap to buy. It isn't much fun though.

If i was buying a Transit to weld and keep now, it would be the least rotten mk6 FWD I could find.
They are just better to drive. I currently own both, and am driving my mk5 to Holland in 2 weeks. Its more comfy to sit in due to the minibus captains seat but the mk6 would be faster and more economical. Also much, much more quiet.
I'm not a fan of the later mk7 2.2 engine. Far too many failures.
The 2.0 in the earlier vans can suffer fuel pump failure but isn't catastrophic, unlike the 2.2 which suffers oil starvation issues and throws legs out of bed.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the feed back, want to avoid all electronics and FWD, so van can be an "easy" repair type !
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Danny's MK5 Transit camper. With added 508d content. Transit for sale. £1500. Danny Wideboy 60 16,579 06-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Danny's MK5 Transit. Danny Wideboy 19 6,586 13-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Danny's rusty transit. Danny Wideboy 18 5,246 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy