Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
New shiny is shiny, your old ones will be for sale then...? Big Grin

(02-07-2014, 11:09 PM)Ruan Wrote: For the record - that's absolutely not true at all.

"Coolant" is simply there to lower the freezing point and also as a corrosion inhibitor. Ethylene Glycol/Triethylene Glycol for example has a specific heat capacity of one half of water! That means it can carry half as much thermal energy given the same temperature rise as Water alone can.

Ethylene Glycol *does* increase the boiling point, but it's rarely needed since the pressurized cooling system does a nice job of raising the boiling point too!

The main point is that putting Anti-freeze in will not improve your cooling system, it's merely there to inhibit corrosion, harvesting of bacteria, and drop the freezing point.

Got there first. lol

Those pipes going under the rad bar look exposed as anything, good luck if that's a daily lol. Also, if the stat opens at 83, how come all the 6's run at 90? I know the HDi stat opens at 83, you sure you're not getting confused with that?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No 6 runs at 90 unless you have a problem. TU engines run at 90. Stat is 83 degrees on a 6 but what do I know I'm only a pug /Citroen tec not to mention had mine out the other day and it says "83" on the back lol

And all that is true but the point I was making about hot spots being reduced is due to the raised boiling point.

In any case Niall's car now runs much cooler and more efficiently with a better rad and decent coolant.

And why would I have a stripped out supercharged 6 as a daily lol. Nowhere to put the kiddies and somewhat thirsty.

I have a Leon FR TDI for that.
Thanks given by:
Bear in mind that what the thermostat actually opens at and what the temperature gauge in the car shows are not necessarily precisely the same, particularly not on a 13-17 year old gauge.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Im sure you said "coolant extracts heat faster from the block"?!

Coolant is just a term given to the fluid in the cooling system not what the fluid is made up of surely?! As there are many different types available depending on use and requirements.

We use, in general, a much higher % than ever needed...for instance in WRC/P/JWRC, in sweden, they only use about 10% antifreeze, just to ensure it doesnt freeze, and due to the reasons Ruan stated.

But then Im not pug/citroen tec Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
But you are a cock Wink
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 11:48 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: But you are a cock Wink

Pot said what to the kettle?? Was only asking, don't get your knickers in a twist, how was I supposed to know you're a peugeot tec rather than the usual clueless know-it-all sc6 owner? Although i'm still struggling to tell the difference tbh...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[Image: e31.jpg]
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 12:51 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 11:48 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: But you are a cock Wink

Pot said what to the kettle??

Amen to that. Reppd
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 06:38 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: And all that is true but the point I was making about hot spots being reduced is due to the raised boiling point.

Agree with the GTi6 should run at 83*C - but the hotspots being reduced by Anti-Freeze in the system isn't true - soon as you increase the pressure in the system, the boiling point increases also.

Not being a cock here, but...

You should never be to the point of nucleate boiling in an engine, if you're having to use Anti-Freeze to prevent Nucleate boiling, you've got far bigger issues. To overcome that, you'd need a good 50% increase in specific heat capacity of the entire cooling system (i.e. system capacity & flow) to remove the heat since at 50/50 Anti-Freeze mix, you've dropped your heat capacity of the coolant by 25%.

I'm sure you see my point, if you're struggling with the cooling system removing heat with no Anti-Freeze in, adding it will only make things worse since at 83*C you should never be hitting the boiling point at any area inside the engine - going from your average 83*C coolant to >105*C on the cylinder walls - not going to happen unless you've got real problems
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
So today another parcel turned up...

[attachment=17350]

Probably the most expensive bit of plastic I've bought at £35 :/

New uprated charger coupler. Its common on these for the holes to slightly elongate meaning they knock their tits off. My car has currently been sounding like a big end is immanently going to depart my block for the outside world but fitted the new coupler and its now nice and quiet...except for a tappy injector Angry
Alternator is still whining slightly but when i had the belt off, there was no play and the bearings are still smooth so I'm going to leave that as i really can't afford a replacement now!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 02:20 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:38 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: And all that is true but the point I was making about hot spots being reduced is due to the raised boiling point.

Agree with the GTi6 should run at 83*C - but the hotspots being reduced by Anti-Freeze in the system isn't true - soon as you increase the pressure in the system, the boiling point increases also.

Not being a cock here, but...

You should never be to the point of nucleate boiling in an engine, if you're having to use Anti-Freeze to prevent Nucleate boiling, you've got far bigger issues. To overcome that, you'd need a good 50% increase in specific heat capacity of the entire cooling system (i.e. system capacity & flow) to remove the heat since at 50/50 Anti-Freeze mix, you've dropped your heat capacity of the coolant by 25%.

I'm sure you see my point, if you're struggling with the cooling system removing heat with no Anti-Freeze in, adding it will only make things worse since at 83*C you should never be hitting the boiling point at any area inside the engine - going from your average 83*C coolant to >105*C on the cylinder walls - not going to happen unless you've got real problems

Everyone just 'Chill Winston chill,' no keyboard warriors wanted !

Surprised this hasn't surfaced yet...

[Image: ybe3e9am.jpg]

Btw..love ya Ruan Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 06:39 PM)Niall Wrote: Alternator is still whining
Sure thats not the owner you can hear?
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 06:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:39 PM)Niall Wrote: Alternator is still whining
Sure thats not the owner you can hear?

Nah i tuned out of that now and can't really hear it any more. Hence why it always seems like I'm ignoring you at meets Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well with Pugfest only 7 days away and today being my last chance to get much done with the car, its been treated to a wash, polish and wax. When i get there on Saturday ill just need to give it a quick dust over if i can be bothered...probably not as the body work isn't great and it just shows up the problems lol

[attachment=17416]

Also REALLY pissed off that they made the sticker a different size this year Angry

[attachment=17417]

Also in an attempt to try and battle my high air temperatures, I've moved the oil cooler and now made a temporary pikey heat shield to see if it makes any difference over the driving to and from pugfest. If it does, ill get a proper one folded up

[attachment=17418]

Roll on Pugfest!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looking real nice!

shotgun a passenger ride xx
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
That looks pretty damn good for a pikey effort!!
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive been studying a log that niall sent to me, i can now see how much he is struggling with air temp. It does lead me to concern on a few points, mainly the air temps do not seem to reduce even after almost a minute of no throttle. At some states he is seeing 40deg! hopefully he can get out again and get another log to see if there is any difference. I have suggested an inclosed filter to try make it draw from a less heated area.
Thanks given by:
Havent seen this for a while but just caught up looks great and will be awesome to see this go up the hill at pugfest!
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 11:21 PM)Stef205 Wrote: Ive been studying a log that niall sent to me, i can now see how much he is struggling with air temp. It does lead me to concern on a few points, mainly the air temps do not seem to reduce even after almost a minute of no throttle. At some states he is seeing 40deg! hopefully he can get out again and get another log to see if there is any difference. I have suggested an inclosed filter to try make it draw from a less heated area.

That was when the coolant temps were much higher and he had to have the fans on when driving lol

Hopefully should be somewhat better now.

See if it goes bang up the hill :p or if he has another off like last year Wink

Either way should make a good noise!
Thanks given by:
Looking good niall..
Keen to see this go up the hill Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2014, 09:06 AM)ArmzSC6 Wrote:
(08-07-2014, 11:21 PM)Stef205 Wrote: Ive been studying a log that niall sent to me, i can now see how much he is struggling with air temp. It does lead me to concern on a few points, mainly the air temps do not seem to reduce even after almost a minute of no throttle. At some states he is seeing 40deg! hopefully he can get out again and get another log to see if there is any difference. I have suggested an inclosed filter to try make it draw from a less heated area.

That was when the coolant temps were much higher and he had to have the fans on when driving lol

Hopefully should be somewhat better now.

See if it goes bang up the hill :p or if he has another off like last year Wink

Either way should make a good noise!

Nah this log was after the cooling issues were fixed unfortunately Sad
I'm aiming to keep on track this year though lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Oh dear... Lol 40 isn't terrible for inlet temps on forced induction to be honest but it should be lower.

Enclosed air filter and possibly a bigger intercooler would help.

My mate posted me a link of "mighty car mods" on YouTube where they fully tested to see if a black painted intercooler makes any difference at all or if it makes it worse or better.

Have a look on YouTube, they found that while air is flowing through it there's virtually no difference but when stationary at idle the heat soak temps were less than halved in comparison.

I almost lost it once on the second hairpin going into the corner a bit to fast and finding the wall on the left approaching faster and faster despite much counter steering lol
Thanks given by:
Funnily enough I was talking to Stef last night about that mighty car mods video and whilst I can see logic in what they are saying, I can't see a huge difference. My intercooler is painted silver because I'm a tart but I'm tempted to buy a new one just to see how much truth is in what they are saying.
I also think I'm getting quite a bit of extra heat from the charger anyway as although it's still boosting fine, it's really not in a great condition so I need to do something about that. The Mini M45s are a completely different design body but the rotors are the same size and fitment as mine being the same displacement. Difference is though my charger is gen1 and the mini ones are gen3 so improved rotor design and better coatings so I'm hoping to get a mini charger and sort of build a hybrid if you like. I also think this could be one reason why Stef is seeing only 25 degrees temps. Either that or his air temp sensor isn't calibrated at all and his is just as bad as mine lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Will blag a passenger run if you've got any left lol, still haven't had a proper ride in this.

(10-07-2014, 12:47 PM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: My mate posted me a link of "mighty car mods" on YouTube where they fully tested to see if a black painted intercooler makes any difference at all or if it makes it worse or better.

Have a look on YouTube, they found that while air is flowing through it there's virtually no difference but when stationary at idle the heat soak temps were less than halved in comparison.

Rofl

I see your peugeot tech status has given you a fantastic grounding in solid engineering knowledge. Have a look in the couch for a thread on that, you might even learn something. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Please tell me Niall you're not seriously considering ignoring physics and painting your intercooler black?!? Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 06:34 AM)Piggy Wrote: Please tell me Niall you're not seriously considering ignoring physics and painting your intercooler black?!? Undecided

No......Im considering buying one that isn't already painted and will hopefully be more efficient than the one i already have!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ahhh goodo Smile yeah that will help
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 06:15 AM)Poodle Wrote: Will blag a passenger run if you've got any left lol, still haven't had a proper ride in this.

(10-07-2014, 12:47 PM)ArmzSC6 Wrote: My mate posted me a link of "mighty car mods" on YouTube where they fully tested to see if a black painted intercooler makes any difference at all or if it makes it worse or better.

Rofl

I see your peugeot tech status has given you a fantastic grounding in solid engineering knowledge. Have a look in the couch for a thread on that, you might even learn something. Wink

I see your keyboard has given you warrior abilities!

Lmao, I simply stated it radiates heat better when stationary an doesn't affect its convection massively when moving.

Biggest problem with mine last year particularly during the summer was heat soak. Really made the car bog down once it had been stationary for any length of time.

More radiation from cooler = less heat soak however if his is mainly when driving then he either needs a larger cooler or an enclosed air filter (or both) as I said before.

Now have a massive cooler ( probably too big) and the difference is huge.

And it's also painted satin black but was when I got it. Can't really remove it from every part of it so topped it up. Still works beautifully well no matter how hard I drive so as I said the paint has a negligible effect on it when driving.....

(10-07-2014, 01:34 PM)Niall Wrote: Funnily enough I was talking to Stef last night about that mighty car mods video and whilst I can see logic in what they are saying, I can't see a huge difference. My intercooler is painted silver because I'm a tart but I'm tempted to buy a new one just to see how much truth is in what they are saying.
I also think I'm getting quite a bit of extra heat from the charger anyway as although it's still boosting fine, it's really not in a great condition so I need to do something about that. The Mini M45s are a completely different design body but the rotors are the same size and fitment as mine being the same displacement. Difference is though my charger is gen1 and the mini ones are gen3 so improved rotor design and better coatings so I'm hoping to get a mini charger and sort of build a hybrid if you like. I also think this could be one reason why Stef is seeing only 25 degrees temps. Either that or his air temp sensor isn't calibrated at all and his is just as bad as mine lol

Yup have to agree I did the same thing when I got my original cooler, wanted it on show behind the bumper grille and so painted it silver Wink.

I'd just be going for a larger cooler to be honest mate. The dirt wrench mine has made with 2.5" pipes and twice the size cooler on the same PSI of boost it's well worth it.

Wasn't suggesting you run outside and spray everything that gets hot black in an instant lol.

Can't say I know to much about screw chargers to be honest.
Thanks given by:

there ya go 'Armz'...as obviously you cant be bothered to go look yaself.

Just removing the silver paint will make a decent difference to be honest Niall.

Painting it black will cause a lot of issues. Like soaking up the heat from the coolant rad that it sits next to, insulatiing it when driving...etc etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Pipe down with the attitude Chris and Alex. I know your both serious keyboard warriors but it gets a bit boring. You two really would make a good couple lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,719 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,305 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,595 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese