Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
(11-08-2014, 12:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: They don't look as bright on the car as they did on the bench.

They're conspicuous, don't worry lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Pah, 4pots. Need 6 pots Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2014, 08:34 AM)Piggy Wrote: Pah, 4pots. Need 6 pots Tongue

You pussy..... At least do it properly

[Image: 8pot_type-r.jpg]

Wink

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
How are you getting on with this Niall?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Great. Its running a bit rough at the moment due to the fact the charger is literally eating its self and heating the air badly.

[attachment=18608]

As you can see from that, after 40, it starts dropping right off. Because the charger rotors are rubbing together, 45 degrees is about average for this car! Im really pissed off with my self that i didn't rebuild this charger when i knew it needed it. Its now cost me another charger. I could get it refurbed but i would need the rotors recoating at about 400 quid. I have read things about having them shot blasted and powder coated but dont want to try it my self.

Next thing is to Get a new charger which doesn't sound like a clattery old diesel and then start making it all a bit more efficient. Should see 230 with a few small changes Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Nice one Niall. Keep at it. You can show me all this software once I've got my act together and got a laptop and cable!
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 07:59 PM)SRowell Wrote: Nice one Niall. Keep at it. You can show me all this software once I've got my act together and got a laptop and cable!

And got your car back together

And got it running properly

And put the right fuel in it

And get round to driving it

Wink

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If he had any sence he'd rebuild the snout on the new charger. Am i allowed to say that your charger is cute yet? lmao Maybe this time dont feed the snout castrol 15w/40 oil haha it might like some propper stuff. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Charger rebuild kit will be on order tomorrow Smile
Yeah can do because I don't have a 40000hp rotrex Honda and have an inability to use a clutch properly Wink
Also, the 10w/40 did it good thank you. It quietened right down after I filled it with that lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You can see in the map it starts pulling ignition timing pretty sharply after 30*c. Also, from the dyno time I've had over the last few months, it doesn't take much spark retard to totally nuke the power. I found on mine that pulling 5 degrees out would lose about 10hp at peak!!

Does it also pull the fuelling out too on the injection table in a similar manner? I'd imagine so, or it would go mega mega rich.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
It does yeah hence why it's been feeling so bloody slow of late (well slower lol). With the IC I'm using and a healthy charger, 25 degrees should be the top of what I see really. Even on my first mapping session when I had the pikey twin pass I saw no more than 32 so with the new setup and a healthy charger we should be back on form. Considering it was knocking slightly when on the dyno, I suspect there is probably a few extra hp to be had out of this car but I know they were having real troubles keeping the air temps down when they were mapping it. For the last hour they were literally pumping air conditioned air straight down it's neck and still struggling to stay below 35ish!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah, so the charger has turned into more of a heat pump than anything else then!!

When you say knocking, do you mean det or bottom end knock?

Are you going to stick with the same size charger, or go bigger? Out of interest, is it the m62 with electronic clutch? I may have a spare one here for the Cupra TDi build that we haven't ended up using.
JP
Thanks given by:
No the charger is knocking due to the slack in the drive gears.
I'm using the M45 from a merc and will stick with that because it will just bolt straight on so it's just easier. The M62 is basically the same as the m45 just with a different body and clutched pulley.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Now then Niall!

I'm sure you're aware but your fooked charger will be blasting it's guts into your engine....

Be an idea to go for an m62 whilst you're changing the charger? You could swap the clutched pulley and nose for your m45 nose/pulley. From memory it's pretty easy to swap, just one of the nose gears needs modding to take dowels to drive the plastic coupler Smile
Thanks given by:
Glad to see you have come to the dark side Allen!

What's the benefit of the M62 over the 45? Iirc displacement is the same and other than the charger being physically more compact, I can't see a benefit?
That said, I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern for the snout is identical through all m45 chargers so should in theory be able to just bolt my snout on with the smaller non clutched pulley.

Or are you just trying to get me to use a m62 because you know you will get more work for a new outlet? Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Haha! Yep just after the work Wink

From memory M45 displaces .75 litres a rev, m62 is 1 litre

It's all dependant on finding a good used one mind!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, M45 displaces 750cc, and M62 is just over a litre...

Mooooreeee boost! Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
Or same boost more power Wink
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, will have to look into that then. I've found a few tech drawings of the two chargers and the bolt pattern is identical between my charger so I could use my snout on a M62 and just sort the new drive gear.
JP, text me about this charger you have sitting about Wink
Allen, if I get one and decide to go for it I'll be in touch for a quote!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
YAY bigger charger Smile
Thanks given by:
Thought you said you were going for more boost, let down. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Twin charge it and don't be a speccy wizard!
Thanks given by:
Epic build
Thanks given by:
So, got the old charger off. Its well and truly fooked lol

[attachment=18724]

[attachment=18725]

[attachment=18726]

On top of all of that, the nose bearings are shot to pieces which i think is what was causing most of the noise.

[attachment=18727]

Picked up the new charger which was just down the road. Bit of a bargain at £150 with a 3 month warranty and its mint. Few tiny marks on one of the rotors but you will always get that. No play anywhere at all. Only issue is the pulley needs swapping for my -19% one but i think the fact i should be seeing sub 25 degree temps should balance that out. On the old charger i was seeing 40+ and at about 35+ it retards the ignition big time!
Will get it fitted tomorrow and get some logs done. may get a few screen shots up on here if people are interested to see the sorts of things you can do with it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good price dood.

Nice buy.

That one is truly buggered!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Good work dude. Can't wait to see you flying again. Will the warranty cover non standard fitments and smaller pulleys?
Thanks given by:
Probably not lol
Its fitted and sweet as a nut. No more knocking noises, smooth to drive again and most importantly on a run, maximum air temperature of 28 degrees Big Grin. It did go up in heavy traffic but i expect that and it cooled fairly rapidly once on the move. Only issue is I'm using the standard huggeee pulley which has dropped the maximum boost down to 3psi lol. Need to get my smaller pulley on so i can be back up to 6 - 6.5psi and with the decrease in air temp, i should see a fair gain over the 215bhp figure i was given when it was mapped.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good progress mate. hope this one lasts a bit longer than the previous ones!
Thanks given by:
Good drop in temp mate. I won't make you jealous by telling you my inlet temp lol
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 07:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Good drop in temp mate. I won't make you jealous by telling you my inlet temp lol

You won't make me jealous mate. Ive been well aware from day one that Eaton chargers aren't all that efficient when it comes to heat. If i wanted something blowing cold, i would of bought a Rotrex....but then id be just like everyone else lol.
anything below 35 is manageable and even when moving i could bring down the temps to probably the high teens by using water/meth injection which I'm considering over winter.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,724 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,343 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,601 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese