Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
Pff i'm not being told to stop being a keyboard warrior by either of you! Rofl

Besides, i'll happily troll you just as much in real life. Wink

But point taken, Niall, will stop ruining your thread now, promise lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well Pugfest has been and gone and what a weekend! Great to see some old faces and meet new ones.
Got to take the 6 up the hill which was great fun. Was only going fairly easily into the corners as its the first time I've driven the car in anger since the engine change (except for in a straight line anyway!). Was quite impressed with everything tbh.
It didn't go without its issues though. When my first charger was destroyed, i bought this one and found it wasn't the healthiest so the plan was to rebuild it eventually but it seems its a little late for that to be financially viable. Ive had a knock from this for a while now and commonly its the drive coupler so i replaced that for a new uprated one but when i did that, i found the rotor gears were rather chewed. It seems the reason why is because the rotor bearings are shot allowing some slop in them but the bad news is when you have coated rotors spinning at 15k with shot bearings, they rub together eventually taking the coating off...

[attachment=17590]

Picture doesn't do the damage justice unfortunately.
Im pretty sure this could also be the cause of my charge temperature issues as looking back at the dyno graph, it would happily sit at 24 degrees air temp yet now on a steady run I'm struggling to stay below 40. Its now not viable to refurbish the charger as recoating the rotors is horrendously expensive so i will just buy a good quality replacement in the next few months.

Also somehow, one of the outlet bolts has taken the thread and its self out along the M4 somewhere and part of the gasket. Brilliant.

Other than that though, the car was great and drew a lot of attention driving through towns lol. It seems with the new recirc valve on, its even louder now lol Also, the whole weekend i did 240 miles not really hanging about and still have 1/3 of a tank left so I'm well happy with that lol

http://youtu.be/RfK8f5Q3sd0
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thats awesome MPG mate, shame about another shagged charger. How much is a new one?
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 04:49 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Thats awesome MPG mate, shame about another shagged charger. How much is a new one?

Anywhere between £50 and £500 on t' Bay. Its my own fault really. I knew it needed doing but i just haven't sorted it in time. It still boosts so I'm going to just take it easy for now and buy a new one payday and give it a partial rebuild if it needs it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ouch, doesnt look healthy...

at least you have an excuse why you were slower than a big heavy 2.1xud on 50% veg Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 04:54 PM)Piggy Wrote: ouch, doesnt look healthy...

at least you have an excuse why you were slower than a big heavy 2.1xud on 50% veg Tongue

LOL, repped.
Thanks given by:
did this even move at pugfest? or is it just a show and stanced queen now? i maybe wrong of course. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Theres a Merc SC on eBay atm for £100 or so..

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281380538154

Probably not the same but someone might be interested!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 08:30 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(14-07-2014, 04:54 PM)Piggy Wrote: ouch, doesnt look healthy...

LOL, repped.

need to edit that actually...

a big heavy 2.1xud on 50% veg and slipping clutch!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So when most people have a car thats partly broken, they would look at fixing it. Not me, i just buy bigger brakes instead :p

[attachment=18147]

[attachment=18148]

Going to give them a bit of a clean up before they go on but can't decide on colour! Red, yellow or plain silver are the favourites right now.

Also, car has been sitting for a week, went to start it yesterday and...dead. 8v on the battery so put it on charge overnight but won't hold charge at all Sad. Thankfully, the Bosch silver tops have a 5 year warranty on them so thats going back tomorrow. Ive also tested it with my work battery tester and that confirms, buggered lol

Hoping to get the brakes on over the next week then a drive down to Poodles in a few weeks to test them down the A31 Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yummy brakes... I have the brembo calipers already, but using Xantia V6 discs.. can I just grab a set of rotors, and some caliper spacers and fit?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2014, 07:40 PM)jammapic Wrote: Yummy brakes... I have the brembo calipers already, but using Xantia V6 discs.. can I just grab a set of rotors, and some caliper spacers and fit?

JP

What callipers mate? 406 V6 ones? if so, yeah use the Xantia discs and bolt it all on. May struggle under 15s though. Cant remember what wheels your using at the moment.

These are 310s with mono block callipers. They are silly light and the discs are silly big lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah I know they work with V6 discs, that's what I'm using atm. Never had a problem with temps / fade etc, but keep thinking bigger is better. Got them under 16's at the moment.

If I hunt down some silly big discs etc - will they go under 16's or do I need to go 17's?

Sorry to hijack.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Well my wheels are 16s, discs are 310 and will literally just fit under. May need a tiny bit shaving off but then the RS Brembos are considerably bigger than the 406 ones. You will get 310s under 16s with your callipers but anything bigger needs 17s and above. I know the 330 version of mine will only just go under 17s but again, the callipers are big.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That's unlucky Niall. These things are sent to try us.

From the moment i supercharged mine, stupid French fails have pretty much caused me problem after problem. Eish, gotta lay the spanners on mine soon.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2014, 07:57 PM)C2K Wrote: That's unlucky Niall. These things are sent to try us.

From the moment i supercharged mine, stupid French fails have pretty much caused me problem after problem. Eish, gotta lay the spanners on mine soon.

Tbh all the cock ups have been my own fault. Other than that and the battery, its been spot on....just noisy :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ahhhh big brakes Big Grin Looking good! What do you have to keep to have the warranty on the battery?
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2014, 06:50 PM)SRowell Wrote: Ahhhh big brakes Big Grin Looking good! What do you have to keep to have the warranty on the battery?

Just the receipt mate. They replaced it today but don't do Bosch batteries anymore so I've got a Yuasa silver top which is alright!

Right, brakes trial fitted today as i had heard when running with Turini's, you may need to skim a tiny amount off the calliper....she'll be reet Wink

[attachment=18179]

[attachment=18180]

[attachment=18181]

[attachment=18182]

Just to give you an idea of how much bigger they are than the standard 6 discs

[attachment=18183]

And finally, an idea of the colour they may or may not be Wink

[attachment=18184]

Ordered new stickers, bleed nipples, bridge pipes and ordering pads tonight so will be on soon Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok so changed my mind on the colour of the brakes :p

[attachment=18242]
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
never mind the colour, but what have you done to that poor screw driver in the back ground!
Thanks given by:
You not worried the calipers will touch once they are warm??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol ain't my work bench. Not my screwdrivers!
The callipers have been "modified" for more room don't worry Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Arent those discs on the wrong sides? I thought the inner part of the groove should go through the calliper first? Some discs say which way to put them on and others dont :/
Thanks given by:
It also depends on the direction of rotation of the fins in between the 2 surfaces in the vented part of the disc.
Thanks given by:
They are on the wrong side yes. I literally just put one on just to check clearance (or lack of)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 05:12 PM)Niall Wrote: They are on the wrong side yes. I literally just put one on just to check clearance (or lack of)

mate if youre not handy with the spanners perhaps you should get someone who knows what theyre doing to help out?
Thanks given by:
[attachment=18265]

[attachment=18266]

f*ck they are bright....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
can you please repair your mirror its annoying me ta lmao
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 01:59 PM)Stef205 Wrote: can you please repair your mirror its annoying me ta lmao

For you?

No Tongue

Ive had a brand new cap in the shed waiting to be painted since christmas lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
They don't look as bright on the car as they did on the bench.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Cherry HDi Dturbo. Project Stage 1+ & tidy up. Matt-Rallye 29 12,726 10-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,350 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,602 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese