Car judder at first gear takeoff/reverse fix

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car judder at first gear takeoff/reverse fix
I had a juddering issue at 1st gear takeoff so this is like a guide if you have similar problem..
My guess here is that everything starts with a bad clutch cable, the whole engine/trans assembly gets hotter at high revs when clutch is not properly engaging/disengaging and this wears the engine/trans mounts quickly !
when they are off you can feel the gear stick  moving back and forth when accelerating/gas pedal off so what happens here is that if the mounts are worn engine moves excessively and as the gear selector end (stick) has fixed position but the transmission is moving back and forth it causes the gear selector fork to move out of standard gaps and cause the gear lever teeth to miss/not mesh properly so it slips and judders and this also causes the transmission to wear more quickly and fail at lower millage..
The most problematic one which causes this is the lower engine mount and then the trans mount.
You may thinks its clutch or cv-joints or some bearings but NO! check the mounts first! repair them with silicon fill and just see how is the difference, it is easy check because you don't have to remove mounts just fill them with good quality silicone (red to resist temps), if car gets much better and judder almost disappears  that its the problem! so have a good luck and don't panic, your car is OK, just look after it with more attention..
Thanks! I hope this helps someone
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2018, 08:50 AM)mangler Wrote: I had a juddering issue at 1st gear takeoff so this is like a guide if you have similar problem..
My guess here is that everything starts with a bad clutch cable, the whole engine/trans assembly gets hotter at high revs when clutch is not properly engaging/disengaging and this wears the engine/trans mounts quickly !
when they are off you can feel the gear stick  moving back and forth when accelerating/gas pedal off so what happens here is that if the mounts are worn engine moves excessively and as the gear selector end (stick) has fixed position but the transmission is moving back and forth it causes the gear selector fork to move out of standard gaps and cause the gear lever teeth to miss/not mesh properly so it slips and judders and this also causes the transmission to wear more quickly and fail at lower millage..
The most problematic one which causes this is the lower engine mount and then the trans mount.
You may thinks its clutch or cv-joints or some bearings but NO! check the mounts first! repair them with silicon fill and just see how is the difference, it is easy check because you don't have to remove mounts just fill them with good quality silicone (red to resist temps), if car gets much better and judder almost disappears  that its the problem! so have a good luck and don't panic, your car is OK, just look after it with more attention..
Thanks! I hope this helps someone

Wanted to add that if you have recently damaged exhaust it is the symptom of bad lower mount also, so good luck!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox issue, reverse????? HELP 306GT30 6 1,838 24-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Last Post: 306GT30
  Steering judder - PAS pump? C.A.R. 4 1,550 18-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Ruan