Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust conversion treatments / gel
Some stuff is brilliant and has done a fantastic job, but others are absolute crap.

I cannot remember the trade names but both were water cleanable on brushes. It went on white, smelled like phorsphoric acid type smell ( if it does smell ?? ) and dried reasonably quick to a black hard coating.

One type was very good but the other, as said was crap.

It was over painted as an added protection, but if the over coat was chipped, water was absorbed by the rust treatment coating which just merrily corroded away under the paint. This resulted in a really really badly corroded metal short rear mudguard ( and other stuff ) on a bike.

The overcoated rear bumper that I treated with this stuff has more or less corroded away to nothing, whilst the wing patch I treated with just the first brand of rust coating is still doing brilliant after about 15 years !!!

That one seemed to dry to a near clear finish and was water proof.

I hope the rear beam axle is still good !

As said some of this type of rust treatment seems good and water proof ( prepped and painted with rust treatmetna short section of corroded exhaust pipe, allowed to dry for a few days then immersed in water for a long term test. That brand seemed very good ) but others are not, so do a test.

Modern advertising laws should have finished off all bogus fantastic manufacturers claims, but a test by them should be believable these days.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Rust conversion treatments / gel - by Mighty306 - 22-04-2018, 10:05 AM
RE: Rust conversion treatments / gel - by pug306driver - 14-05-2018, 09:35 AM
RE: Rust conversion treatments / gel - by Alan_M - 31-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust Treatment MY95 4 1,908 25-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Roof rust DM123 11 2,126 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45
  Rear Arch Rust ct-hdi 1 1,176 06-08-2014, 01:15 AM