The future of 306oc

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of 306oc
I spotted that they have officially pulled the plug on 306.net, mainly blamed FB for its demise. Is 306oc heading the same way? There is only a dozen people rattling round this big old forum now. It will be a shame to lose all that knowledge....
Thanks given by:
i'm still a browser
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Gutted that they've officially closed it down, as you say had so much information on! Im mainly just a lurker on here now, dont post too often! Hopefully this wont go the same way as .net, just got to weather the quiet times until the 306 becomes more of a classic ThumbsUp
1st project- Red Peugeot 306 DTurbo 1998
2nd project- Silver BMW E38 1999- Sold
Daily- Black Mitsubishi L200 Series 5

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/user/Hobo_Ash.html
Thanks given by:
keep directing queries from FB to here maybe?

besides FB is quite disjointed for following a thread.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
ALL POWER TO THE MIGHTY 306oc

We will stand united through these hard times and prove to be THE 306 club that doesn't fade away, we have a cooler name anyway.

...would be good to modernise the photo uploader though....
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2018, 04:58 PM)Doseph Wrote: ALL POWER TO THE MIGHTY 306oc

We will stand united through these hard times and prove to be THE 306 club that doesn't fade away, we have a cooler name anyway.

hear, hear!
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Facebook is all well and good for quick answers for little issues but threads on forums are a totally different thing. They can continue for ages and facebook just doesn't have the organisation that a proper thread based website has.

Does anyone know how much it costs for the servers for this site per year?
Thanks given by:
split between X members cold be very cheap
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
That's what I am thinking Smile Like has been said, this site has some serious information on it if you search for it. Would be a shame for it to all disappear into the abyss...
Thanks given by:

ADMIN IN DA HOUSE!

yeh so pugnet shutting down was a very sudden move. We dont think they saved the database or at least they wont give it to us so all that info, guides and history is lost for ever which is a great shame.

We have no plans to get rid of the forum however I am planning on updating the theme and doing a new logo. the forum isnt for everyone as some people are too simple to know how to use it so im hoping to make a website front end which has features on cars and focuses more on meets and shows etc.

So yeh although we are all busy and little happens.... its not going anywhere!... unless fooby turns it off...
Thanks given by:
Am I the only person that gets a warning whenever I log in that says "Your connection is not secure" or something like that? I don't get it with other websites. I am wondering if it's a known issue?
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2018, 08:58 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Am I the only person that gets a warning whenever I log in that says "Your connection is not secure" or something like that? I don't get it with other websites. I am wondering if it's a known issue?

No I used to get them too Smile

Eeyore- I don't bother with Facebook much so would hate to see this place go. Do you think Fooby would need donations or summit to secure it's future? It's a shame photobucket are such wankers because alot of the great projects and guides etc... have no pics anymore.
Thanks given by:
Like others have said if it’s money that’s needed to keep this going I’d be more than happy to pay a yearly subcrisption fee. I’m a member of the GTI6 page which is £5 a year. If OC was to do this I’d also happily pay that too. I prefer forums to Facebook as like it has been mentioned it’s a much better place for threads etc.
Thanks given by:
So all donations are very welcome. It costs a fair amount each month to host the forum. Any support would be great. This is why we try to run the calendar etc to try and make some money but the last few years have only made a small amount and its been an effort to do more than break even.

the issue with certificates is 306oc.co.uk or www.306oc.co.uk. Its something Fooby needs to have a look at as Scott has already looked into this and exhausted his efforts.

the photobucket issue is really annoying however you can get a browser plugin that fixes the issue. This works by requesting the image in a different way which tricks the PB system. I doubt it will work forever though so the forum team really need to rewrite all the guides.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2018, 07:31 AM)Eeyore Wrote: So all donations are very welcome. It costs a fair amount each month to host the forum. Any support would be great. This is why we try to run the calendar etc to try and make some money but the last few years have only made a small amount and its been an effort to do more than break even.

Where do you make donations? To the same PayPal I paid for my stickers?
Thanks given by:
I too hate the missing pix in threads. and would be happy to pay a sub.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2018, 08:55 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

ADMIN IN DA HOUSE!
yeh so pugnet shutting down was a very sudden move. We dont think they saved the database or at least they wont give it to us so all that info, guides and history is lost for ever which is a great shame.
We have no plans to get rid of the forum however I am planning on updating the theme and doing a new logo. the forum isnt for everyone as some people are too simple to know how to use it so im hoping to make a website front end which has features on cars and focuses more on meets and shows etc.
So yeh although we are all busy and little happens.... its not going anywhere!... unless fooby turns it off...

If you ever want a hand with any of the web related stuff I'd be happy to help!
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
It's great to be part of a community that are so willing to help each other out. It would be such a shame if it gradually faded away. It does seem quiet sometimes but t doesn't seem like the FB page is massively busy either.

As others have said, FB is fine for a bit if banter but it isn't any good for threads over the longer term or for guides.  It just isn't structured that way.

I'd be happy to pay a sub to keep 306oc viable. Back before the internet (yes, I remember that) you would pay a sub to be in a owners club n receive a copy of the club mag with useful articles etc. We've got used to having so much for free now but that's not always realistic!

Long live the 306OC!!!
Thanks given by:
so, divide the membership by the Web costs, and there you have it.
after all, most people make that bit more effort when there's an investment involved.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
The issue with doing that is we risk making the place a bit of a ghost town. If everyone is forced to pay then you will end up with a lot of people turning away from it I would think :/

It would be better if we could do it voluntarily for as long as possible.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2018, 03:58 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: The issue with doing that is we risk making the place a bit of a ghost town. If everyone is forced to pay then you will end up with a lot of people turning away from it I would think :/

It would be better if we could do it voluntarily for as long as possible.

No alternative forum now though lol Smile

Maybe paid members can access all areas ie for sale section etc... Too strict like .net and people won't be able to see if it's worth joining.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2018, 03:58 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: It would be better if we could do it voluntarily

I think that would be the only option too. I would be willing to contribute something in the realistic knowledge that a lot wouldn't.  People don't generally like paying for anything that they've previously had for free!

Anyway, I assume it isn't a big issue as the moment as the Admin Gods haven't been demanding we leave them gifts!! Smile
Thanks given by:
Hi we have discussed paid membership but have kept it donations only. We dont ask for donations often. The last push was for the marquee last year which is located in the east where most of the regular show attenders are based. I think an optional membership model which gets you some 306oc goodies such as stickers and club calendar etc would be good. But what would be a sensible price. Of course the forums are always free.... its just an opportunity to donate and get some kit at the same time.
Thanks given by:
i'm guessing the average is £1-2 /month
my MAG membership is about £25 pa
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Hadn’t realised .net had gone! My profile on there is set up way back in 2006! The greater shame there tho is the loss of a wealth of knowledge. Often when ive Googled a 306 related question it’ll bring up some ancient archives .net thread where whatever problem I’ve been having was discussed at length back in 2008. 

If they had saved their database it’d be worthwhile acquiring to add to our own to create an ultimate 306 resource. 

As for forums vs FB I’ll always fall on the forum side as I don’t have a Facebook account, nor do I ever plan to have one!

Payment wise I think a paid subscription would potentially lose some members But I would be happy to pay. Briskoda.net run a good free forum with a paid membership option that got you extra access and some goodies so a two tiered membership option could potentially work. 

Sam I’m not coding whizz but if you need any help compiling or sifting thru info for a website then drop me a line I’d be more than happy to help!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the offer Tom. Im sure there is stuff we need to do! Just need time to come up with a plan!
Thanks given by:
So im still here, i have no intention of ever leaving. Not posting a lot lately like i usually did. Got a lot going on with myself and no projects currently. I have ever intention of getting back up and running again at some point though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2018, 10:40 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: So im still here, i have no intention of ever leaving. Not posting a lot lately like i usually did. Got a lot going on with myself and no projects currently. I have ever intention of getting back up and running again at some point though

will it have a RB25DET in it?
Thanks given by:
No man. I have a few ideas of what I'm doing next. All track oriented nothing yet though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Is there anyone contactable on .net ref their archive?
just one of my many idle thoughts.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Future Plan Eeyore 27 4,361 29-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Possibile project (probably way off in the future) Megamonkey 23 3,357 15-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Poodle