Steering issue losing the will to live

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering issue losing the will to live
Hi all 

Im really hoping someone can advise me or give any possible ideas. 

I have a 2000 306 cabriolet 2.0 
So... To explain i had been driving the cab with no problems and parked it up for 2 months while driving my other car, the other car was written off and i jumped back into the cab and found the steering would become stiff when applying left lock and would get worse the longer the car had been driven.

Since then i have chased the fault and chose to take the car off the road and basically rebuilt it over the last year. 

Having just got the cab back on the road the problem has come back again.. Not even managed 1k miles after the rebuild. 

To explain it feels like the hydrualic side of things pushes back against you turn when steering left. 

So far ive changed the following:
Strut top mounts and bearings and dampers
Drop links 
Arms
Ball joints
Track rod ends
Steering rack reconditioned
Steering pump reconditioned
New steering ram
Front brakes have been stripped and rebuilt
Tyre pressure checked
4 wheel laser alighnment done

No hoses are collapsing internally as ive run the bottle with the lid off and turned the steering wheel and you can see the fluid moving in the bottle in a steady flow. 

Ive drained the fluid out of the system and had both front wheels off the ground and turned the steering wheel  and i can still feel the steering become harder/stiffer when new full left lock. Engine not runnijg and no fluid in system.. 

Theres no pressure switch anywhere that i can find when the system is running theres no fluid leaks either.

Ive sprayed the universal joints on the steering colukn and it hasnt made any difference at all.. 

Really not sure what the fault could be. The aux belt is correctly tensioned and the crank shaft pulley has been changed for a new one.. 

Thanks in advance!!

Rob
Thanks given by:
do you get more lock in the opposite direction?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2018, 10:07 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: do you get more lock in the opposite direction?

No same amount of lock both directions. At the minute it seems okay having messed about this morning and having the trackin re done. Hopefully this might have sorted it for good. 

Thanks fella

Rob
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2018, 03:29 PM)plugy Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 10:07 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: do you get more lock in the opposite direction?

No same amount of lock both directions. At the minute it seems okay having messed about this morning and having the trackin re done. Hopefully this might have sorted it for good. 

Thanks fella

Rob

no worries bud.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  steering issue please help plugy 6 1,893 24-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Steering issue possibly? sherman306 3 1,476 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sherman306