Best “fast” 40mpg estate for 3-4k

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best “fast” 40mpg estate for 3-4k
So I get a company car atm but considering dropping out of the scheme and as long as I can average 40mpg I’d be better off. 

What are my options? Been stuck mainly looking at boring old 3 series...
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
What's your budget Tom? Golf GTD estate springs to mind immediately.

Ignore me, I need to learn to read properly
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Volvo V50?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/...ode=m154fn

I've not owned a V50 only a 1995 850 T5 2.3 Turbo petrol rather than a diesel but I loved it, I can't see the newer one being any worse?

I quite like some of the R-Design ones too? Might be worth looking into?

Info pulled from autotrader

Running costs
Urban mpg
29.1 mpg
Extra Urban mpg
52.3 mpg
Average mpg
40.4 mpg
CO2 emissions
184g/km
Annual Tax
£240

Performance
Engine power
180 bhp
Engine size
2400 cc
Brochure Engine size
2.4 litres
Acceleration (0-60mph)
7.9 seconds
Top speed
137 mph
Drivetrain
Front Wheel Drive
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
Im going to recommend a saab as always. It wont do 40mpg... itll do 26 round town and 34 on the motorway... but you can get one for sub £3k and it remaps from 250 to 320hp for £500.
Thanks given by:
you'll get a couple of saabs for £3k lol, I've been offered one for £200, wont be that quick though, the TID will do an easy 55+ mpg, a stage 1.5 map will take it to about 185 bhp.

Wouldn't call a 330d boring, theyr'e plenty quick enough, you'd get a 530d for that money too.

Don't discount a 330i, they will do high 30's and can crack the 40 barrier with care.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
My money would either be on a clean e46 330d or maybe a e91 325d which is essentially a detuned 330d - simple map gives it a big increase (to 260ish).
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 HDI?? Had one as a courtesy car once. Was amazingly efficient. Could easily crack 55mpg. 60 on a good steady run.

Not sure if these have DPF's or not though so if they do I'd stay away. Pain in the backside they are!

I did not read the part about "fast" hahaha urmmm a 1.6 Hdi 207 with this done to it?? :/

https://passionford.com/forum/restoratio...oject.html
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2018, 09:42 PM)welshpug Wrote: you'll get a couple of saabs for £3k lol, I've been offered one for £200, wont be that quick though, the TID will do an easy 55+ mpg, a stage 1.5 map will take it to about 185 bhp.

Wouldn't call a 330d boring, theyr'e plenty quick enough, you'd get a 530d for that money too.

Don't discount a 330i, they will do high 30's and can crack the 40 barrier with care.

the ttids hold their value really well. I was talking about the 2.8 V6. Mine has been completely reliable and now on 177k. the amount you save buying the car could be ploughed back into fuel. Depends how many miles you do as to where the breakeven point is with that.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2018, 08:36 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(18-03-2018, 09:42 PM)welshpug Wrote: you'll get a couple of saabs for £3k lol, I've been offered one for £200, wont be that quick though, the TID will do an easy 55+ mpg, a stage 1.5 map will take it to about 185 bhp.

the ttids hold their value really well. I was talking about the 2.8 V6. Mine has been completely reliable and now on 177k. the amount you save buying the car could be ploughed back into fuel. Depends how many miles you do as to where the breakeven point is with that.
I agree.. Ive got a 2.3 9-5 which is stg3 so~300bhp and 440nm.. Grand total for that power is £240.. Car owes me about £700 as is.. Bad point is i average about 24mpg but it will do 40 on a run..

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I do hanker for the v6 Sam but I’d need my commute to be a bit shorter. Will take a look at the ttid tho as long as I factor in swirl flap fixing. 

V50s are ok in R Design I guess...

Anything else outside the Swedish, BMW stables?

Couldn’t go 207 SW!!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2018, 11:54 PM)Orta Wrote: I do hanker for the v6 Sam but I’d need my commute to be a bit shorter. Will take a look at the ttid tho as long as I factor in swirl flap fixing. 

V50s are ok in R Design I guess...

Anything else outside the Swedish, BMW stables?

Couldn’t go 207 SW!!

This is what I found when looking for an estate.... Id have a V50... as long as its an R design... and then the prices almost double! A RD was about 7k so i decided to go for the v6 for 3k and count that 4k on fuel and tax difference over 4 years.
Thanks given by:
I've an '09 V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport Manual atm - love it tbh, it's not as good on fuel as everyone will tell you, it averages mid-low 40s, on a run it's significantly better nudging 50mpg and is a superbly flexible engine, sounds nice being a 5 banger too and it's got enough pace to go with, it's not fast - but has enough pace if you need it without driving like your hair is on fire.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
What about the Mondeo ST TDCi or Vectra/Signum v6 CDTi ?
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
Steer clear of a Mondeo. Too many issues with injectors, pumps, egrs, dmfs etc.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Does your company dictate that it needs to be under a certain age to qualify?

Some schemes have funny quirks when giving you the cash money - my last place it had to be under 4 years old but this place only stipulates you need to have 4 doors so no traditional coupes. One guy is running a 53 Touran he's had since new, and had his allowance since day 1 lol.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
No nothing like that. You either take the a3 hatch / saloon or Touran (all with dsg and 110bhp 1.6 TDi) or take £300 cash per month car allowance. You lose your fuel card and then obviously don’t pay any company car tax so before I spend on fuel I’m like £600-650 better off, then have to spend £250-300 on fuel to come out 350-400 better off, but only better off if I’m not financing a car. Hence I wanna buy out right for 3-4k
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by:
Why does it have to be fast? You have the Rallye for fast, could buy something with £30 tax and 60mpg and be much better off.

320d Efficient Dynamics estates are ridiculously cheap to run, wouldn't get a low miler on your budget though.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2018, 10:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Why does it have to be fast?  You have the Rallye for fast, could buy something with £30 tax and 60mpg and be much better off.

320d Efficient Dynamics estates are ridiculously cheap to run, wouldn't get a low miler on your budget though.

Because it’s boring haha I have a 1.5 clio for my fair and its the most boring drive of my life yeah it’s £30 a year tax and amazing on diesel but Jesus it’s soul destroying hahahahaha
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by: