Brake compensator differences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake compensator differences
Guys,

Does anyone know the difference between the following part numbers for brake compensators?

The one ending 85 is the correct one for the 6/Rallye and I think the XSi and possibly cab (XU10J4R) and then the XU7JP4 engines cars. Having said that, the one ending 84 is also listed for the XU7 engine after a certain build code.

Does anyone know for sure what the difference between the two is? I'm going to need a new one for my rallye. I can only find a 84 for sale. Even my parts man can't locate an 85. If 84 was the same, then i might be able to use that but need to know first.

Thanks
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
If you look them up in service box without a chassis then 184 is against all the lower spec models and 185 against higher spec models like my rallye or later estates. I wonder if the differentiator is drum or disc rear brakes or potentially the models with stiffer torsion bar arrangements.

Mei will be along soon I'm sure.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
You maybe onto something on the disc/drum thing, to be honest, that had crossed my mind but then I didn't make the link between the lower power models bit...

I don't think the suspension will have much bearing on it. Biggest issue now is finding one. Ideally I'd like new. The one that came off the beam I stripped and started rebuilding was knackered. There is one on the beam that's still on the car but I don't think that's likely to be much better.....
Thanks given by:
I know you're committed to only putting original parts on your Rallye. Would you accept a part from an aftermarket supplier if it was made by the original manufacturer tho? Are there any markings on the compensator you removed (assuming it's original).

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-Bosch-0...1341793733

There may be cheaper available - I only spent a moment looking.
Thanks given by:
I can't find the 85 on servicebox at all? Searching it still brings up the 84 albeit on different models.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Cheers for that bud......

Yes, I would consider it. In all likelihood, I think that's going to be exactly the same part. Not sure why I couldn't find that.....

Cheers!

(03-03-2018, 12:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I can't find the 85 on servicebox at all? Searching it still brings up the 84 albeit on different models.

Deffo there Tom, although this is a different screen again from the one I saw yesterday and suggests 85 is for the GTi6/Rallye only.....

[Image: Screenshot_20180303_123256.png]
Thanks given by:
84 listed for 16v xsi. As it has the same set-up at the rear as the gti I can only assume the difference in compensators is down to the bigger front brakes/master cylinder.
Thanks given by:
Was gonna say, there’s new stock all over eBay as above.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
....also the fact lots of people have swapped to gti front brakes on lower spec models without changing the compensator makes you wonder how critical the differences are.  Have never read about people finding the rear excessively skittish after swapping to gti brakes.

We all know a man on here who could definitively answer the question tho .....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake compensator leaking Ben 4 2,917 24-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Ben
  Brake compensator rocker8742 1 1,172 22-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cully
  zx rear beam differences to 306 (one for welshpug) zx_volcane 20 8,295 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Last Post: powerandtorque