Heater Blower Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater Blower Issues
Hi guys,

Been having some heater blower problems. First problems I noticed - at first it would blow the same amount of heat (low) on any setting but only warm air, then once the engine was fully up to temp (on the motorway only) it would blow max in your face no matter what setting you chose and wouldn't stop blowing max until the coolant temp came down by coming off the accelerator. Now the heaters don't work at all.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
Is the heater blower fan working, you will be able to hear it. If it works on all speeds then that bit is working all ok.

The heater direction dial on the heater dash at the other end of the heater control panel, the opposite end to the blower knob, controls where in the car the blown air comes out of the dash.

On our estate, it was very poor, so I took the panel slightly out to see what's what.

On ours the wire control cable coming from the direction knob was bent, meaning only the first 2 positions, screen, and then footwell, worked. If the knob was turned beyond the footwell position anticlockwise, the cable just bent, suggesting a fault ( jamming or similar ) with the heater unit internal flaps.

Dash off and heater out, strip to repair, sod that, that was a few years ago now !

So, we only use the screen demist position mainly, with some slight footwell heat, with the knob returning to the screen demist position ok turning clockwise.

Maybe you have a similar fault ??

Sorry I cant be more helpful, still very much a tyro with this car.

PS, what temp does the temp gauge sit at after say 6 miles with normal driving normally ?  80 degrees ??  It may well be running cooler in this very cold weather we are having from Siberia, brrrrrrrrrr.

pps, the heater panel heat knob makes no difference to the temp of air coming from the heater ducts ??? That is an electric control I think ?, but don't know where the valve is, in the heater unit under the dash ????
Thanks given by: MY95
(28-02-2018, 11:12 AM)pug306driver Wrote: Is the heater blower fan working, you will be able to hear it. If it works on all speeds then that bit is working all ok.

The heater direction dial on the heater dash at the other end of the heater control panel, the opposite end to the blower knob, controls where in the car the blown air comes out of the dash.

On our estate, it was very poor, so I took the panel slightly out to see what's what.

On ours the wire control cable coming from the direction knob was bent, meaning only the first 2 positions, screen, and then footwell, worked. If the knob was turned beyond the footwell position anticlockwise, the cable just bent, suggesting a fault ( jamming or similar ) with the heater unit internal flaps.

Dash off and heater out, strip to repair, sod that, that was a few years ago now !

So, we only use the screen demist position mainly, with some slight footwell heat, with the knob returning to the screen demist position ok turning clockwise.

Maybe you have a similar fault ??

Sorry I cant be more helpful, still very much a tyro with this car.

PS, what temp does the temp gauge sit at after say 6 miles with normal driving normally ?  80 degrees ??  It may well be running cooler in this very cold weather we are having from Siberia, brrrrrrrrrr.

pps, the heater panel heat knob makes no difference to the temp of air coming from the heater ducts ??? That is an electric control I think ?, but don't know where the valve is, in the heater unit under the dash ????

Temp varies depending on how much throttle I give it, anywhere between 72 and 79.

Sorted this actually, it was the relay below the steering wheel in the end. Was only £3 from Maplin so i'm very happy!
Thanks given by:
Lucky from maplins, in admin so some bargains to be had. Its a pity they didn't drop their prices before they went into admin, they may have sold some more toys I mean stock !
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2018, 12:35 PM)pug306driver Wrote: Lucky from maplins, in admin so some bargains to be had. Its a pity they didn't drop their prices before they went into admin, they may have sold some more toys I mean stock  !

Yeah they only had 1 relay left in that store, so that was lucky! But for £3.20 and it was fixed I was happy anyway! Nice to have heaters back on the daily in these temperatures haha.
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2018, 03:08 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 12:35 PM)pug306driver Wrote: Lucky from maplins, in admin so some bargains to be had. Its a pity they didn't drop their prices before they went into admin, they may have sold some more toys I mean stock  !

Yeah they only had 1 relay left in that store, so that was lucky! But for £3.20 and it was fixed I was happy anyway! Nice to have heaters back on the daily in these temperatures haha.

imho, Maplins problem stemmed from moving away from components/projects parts/dj gear to gadgets and widgets. (Amazon territory).
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I second that, they have been more of a "toy shop" rather than their roots, too expensive and cocky staff not knowing stuff. Halfrauds next I wonder ?
Thanks given by:
I remember when they were just a dedicated mail order for components. Closely associated with magazines like Electronics Digest etc.
where you could read a project and buy all the parts inc. PCB to make one yourself.
remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNKCRu5g9t4
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heater blower issues Dturbo john 5 2,625 13-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Heater blower problem Pingaz 7 2,248 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Pingaz
  Heater blower issues Michaelc5086 4 1,522 28-01-2016, 08:52 PM