how does this come come off please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how does this come come off please

This is the ducting for the heater air, but how does it come off please. The Haynes book says its rubber, it aint, and it just comes off, it don't. It seems solidly fixed.

I found a shaped bit of drain hose with a 90 degree bend in that area and can feel 2 clips for it to clip into, but cannot feel the stub for it to fit over and direct  drain water away, thru the large drain hole ?

Maybe there are 2 studs/nuts inside under the dash a bit like the other side of the scuttle, the main wiring loom that goes thru the scuttle. Help please.

I need to remove this bit to make sure there are no holes underneath it that will allow water into the cabin. The carpet is not wet as such but its not bone dry either.

Need to illuminate all water leaks as still having water/damp related central locking/immobiliser problems !!! grrrrrrrr.

Also, what is this connector for please, the wire seems to disappear under the wing. Its by the ecu/intertia switch/fuel double relay/coolant heater plugs relay box area.

Have narrowed down the water leak by the rear off side cuddy in the rear of the estate, seems to be either coming thru window seam, or thru roof rail central mounting or past the upper weather seal area. It may run down inside door pillar into electronics box to do with central locking at bottom of driver door pillar ??

fun and games grrrrrrr.
Thanks given by:
hi. the first ducting question. Are you sure there isnt another trim clip underneath it? They literally should pull right off. You also need to undo that bungee kind of clip. be careful as they break easily.
Thanks given by: pug306driver
Thanks for the reply. The plastic styrip clip thing comes off from the upper position quite easily but the dusting seems to be well held in place. Will have another "feel" underneath it for some more clips. There seems to be some "feet" under the ducting more towards the open end sitting into/fitting into some "holes" ......but they are free and that end lifts up easily.

Any idea what that round wiring connection connects to please ??
Thanks given by:
Ok, with some brute force the plastic ducting came away all ok.

It seems the last owner had "sealed" the ducting to the plastic surround on the bulkhead.

I have found the stub for the shaped rubber drain hose, its connected tom the hole in the ducting just by the plastic ribbed retaining strap.

All looks good under the ducting but will get a clean out.

I have been told that the box area under the windscreen area that houses the wiper track and this ducting can rot out, as some of the sound deadening stuck on bitumen has voids that water can run under and collect. These will be opened on ours and the area painted as a matter of course.

It does not look as if there has been a water leak into the car passenger footwell area but the carpets will be peeled back top confirm.

Will report back with findings.
Thanks given by:
Did you remove the thin grey waterproof membrane from on top of the ducting or was it not there? Without that there, water can leak into the blower motor housing through the duct join which could explain why it was sealed in by a previous owner. When it happens, it should drain outside from the pipe on the bottom of the motor housing...but they are usually broken off so drip onto the carpet instead.

That round plug is the chassis side of the engine loom. It goes under the wing and forward where it joins the looms for ABS and the engine bay fusebox, then runs under the front crossmember under the rad, up the other side and then to the large square plug under the wiper motor.
Membrane was not there, Haynes of course fails to mention that at all ! Will make a membrane when refitting the ducting/grill etc..

The drain hose on the heater bottom was there as I found/checked that ages ago and was clear and dry.

Looking at the picture again, the membrane may have been stuck to the ducting at one point which would explain the adhesive "stain" on the ducting.......
Thanks given by:
Yeah the remnants of the membrane are there, the grey sticky part just under the screen and the adhesive on top of the duct itself. It's one of the few 306 parts I don't have a picture of but it basically just goes from the screen to the front of the duct.