Engine problems when engine is hot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine problems when engine is hot
Hi,

So I'm having another annoyingly mysterious error with my car. After driving for a while (heating the engine), the engine seems to run into some problems.

Firstly, there has been some instances where the engine has stopped on idle. Other times, the RPM just dips below 7-800 but it manages to "recover" quickly, also only when idle.

Secondly, there has been some instances where the engine won't start again after it has been stopped. What I then have to do is wait for some time (I'm guessing to let the engine cool) before I can try successfully starting it again.

Looked around some of the hits i got from Google, but every new thread I click has a different suggestion without OP really confirming nor debunking the theory... (I promise, this one will be better than that).

Does this error sound familiar? What are some things I should check? Keep in mind it cranks and starts perfectly fine every time, when the engine is cold. And this happens somewhat sporadically, but it seems to happen typically when I've been running the car at high RPM for a while.

EDIT: BTW my car is a year 2000 Peugeot 306, 1.6L, petrol.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a cam/crank sensor to me..

They are usually the case with engine cutting out and having to wait for it to cool before its restarted

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Thanks! When you say cam/crank sensor, is it a single sensor? Or two separate units?

The previous owner had a friend of him use a diagnostic tool to search for errors. This is what came up:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RCX6HEE...TCLry/view
Is it related, you think?

BTW my car is a year 2000 Peugeot 306, 1.6L, petrol.
Thanks given by:
Diagnostic points to coolant temp sensor or wiring to it.  Not sure what voltage it should receive (5? ...someone on here will know).

Edit: Not sure a bad coolant sensor would cause a no start issue although it would mess up the fuel mixture. You can test if the resistance is correct on the sensor but not sure what the ranges are on the 1.6. Will check if it uses the same sensor as the 2.0. If it does I'll post the values up. Have you got access to a multimeter as it's an essential diagnostic tool!
Thanks given by:
Yep, my multimeter is ready.

So, is this the right sensor?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-Camshaft-...2708569854
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2018, 11:51 AM)gromit190 Wrote: Yep, my multimeter is ready.

So, is this the right sensor?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-Camshaft-...2708569854

Mmm, hard to tell.  PM me your VIN & I'll try to look it up on Servicebox (which i's worth your time registering with if you're planning on keeping the car).  There were variations in sensor design between phases.

Be warned though, it's easy to go down the route of replacing lots of parts and not solve the problem.  There are quite a few things it could be.
Thanks given by:
I'll send you the VIN, just gotta remember to write it down next time I use the car.

Tried googling "servicebox", and I got a couple of matches. Which site are you referring to, exactly? Seems public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ wouldn't let me register as a "private individual", as "Access to this site is intended exclusively for professionals."...
Thanks given by:
You seem very professional to me. Smile
Thanks given by:
Then I'm afraid I have mislead you, haha.

Anyways, I'm registered now. Been browsing Servicebox for a while now, but I can't quite wrap my head around where to find information about the cam/crank sensor, though. Where is it?
Thanks given by:
Don't know if these will help, cant remember where I got these from, similar info in guides section.  For sensors, check resistance when cold ( when they are behaving ) and check again when hot ( when the car misbehaves ) and compare, also signal output.#

ok bosch publications too large to post.

do these open, anyone ??

ok, bosch fuel injection manual for.......

Bosch Fuel Injection System ( AIRD )
HP Books.  Bosch d, l and LH jetronic, LH Motronic, K and KE jetronic.

Bosch Automotive Handbook 1st Edition 2002 17mb

bosch handbook 2002, loads of tech info but not resistance value for the almera bosch diesel fuel inj pump !!!!! still going round in circles with that one, but suspect spill solenoid burn out due to really low ohms value, 0.4 ohms.

Cant get that bugger out without wrecking the dam thing, but have not tried "pressure " yet, to blow the dam thing out.

Can e mail them to admin to add to this site ??
Thanks given by:
I'm afraid those links aren't working (for me, at least).
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2018, 09:28 AM)gromit190 Wrote: Then I'm afraid I have mislead you, haha.

Anyways, I'm registered now. Been browsing Servicebox for a while now, but I can't quite wrap my head around where to find information about the cam/crank sensor, though. Where is it?

It does take a while to find your way around Servicebox.  Stick with it and you'll get there.

For crank sensor you need to open 'Air & fuel supply' under the Engine section.  Scroll down and open 'INJ CALCULATOR SENSOR'.  That shows many (not all) of the sensors used by the ECU to manage the engine.  What they describe as the 'Speed Sensor' is the crank sensor - 1920.AV

This site is useful for cross-checking the part numbers for aftermarket equivalents.  https://partinfo.org/peugeot-1920av/

The part on eBay you linked to before isn't the right one.  Also, had you realised it was located on the other side of the World in Australia?!
Thanks given by:
Forgot that this guide is on the site.  Should help you with testing some stuff.

https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=67
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ph1 and ph2 engine loom connector differences jirupa 23 8,924 08-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Gti-6 engine not starting jcsh 4 1,679 17-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Fuel guage stuck on full, but returns to zero with engine off. Will red light work? Charlie0 6 1,898 11-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Charlie0