Stupid question?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid question?
This is a follow-up to my previous thread about breaking down before Xmas.  What happened has been bothering me as nothing really added up.

Bit of background to this ...sometimes when I come to a halt n drop the clutch the engine nearly dies n then catches just before it stalls.  I've replaced the ICV but it hasn't fixed the problem.  Just before the episode the other day which culminated with smoke appearing from under the bonnet I pulled up the car n guess it may have pretty much stalled before spluttering back to life.

Now this may seem like a stupid question, but is there any way an engine can stall n somehow get a 'kick' at TDC which causes it to run backwards? Have done a bit of reading about this n some say a 4cyl 4-stroke engine can't run backwards n a few others who say they've had it happen to them.  E.g. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts...wards.html

To recap, the symptoms for the very short time I left the car running (4-5 seconds) were:
- Engine running very unevenly/roughly
- Car wanting to go backwards when 1st gear engaged n clutch lifted
- squealing sound (could have been alternator or power steering pump / aux belt complaining at being run backwards.
- Smoke appeared from the area of the inlet pipe at the front of the car.
- Oil in the inlet, particularly coating the back of the throttle body butterfly.

The engine running backwards seems a crazy conclusion to come to but the only one that could explain the weird symptoms!

Edit: It's an XU10J4R btw
Thanks given by:
I've had the same problem where when the engine is warm, coming to a stop the engine revs drop to 600-700rpm then picks up or it can just die.

I haven't had a proper chance to test yet but it seems to be idling allot better since replacing the inlet gasket and it looks like the old gasket was leaking.

[Image: 0CvwkbMl.jpg]

As I say havn't had a proper chance to test yet but these changes did not fix it:

- New ICV
- Refurbed injectors
- Clean air filter

I am going to replace the fuel filter as another step but yeah, if you find a solution let me know...
Thanks given by:
Although I've tested vacuum & that seems OK & also the lambda readings look good I had been thinking about trying a new inlet manifold gasket.  I had wondered if a very minor leak on one cylinder inlet would cause the symptoms but not be spotted by common diagnostics? It seems to have been running particularly rough this week.

The next item on my list though is to locate & unplug the power steering pressure sensor.  I've read in a number of places that this is a common(ish) cause of idle problems.  Replacement sensors are no longer available from Peugeot for my car so if that improves the problem it'll just have to stay unplugged.

No harm in changing the fuel filter but if it was partially blocked you'd particularly notice problems at WOT.
Thanks given by: