Fan always on + STOP light on dashboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan always on + STOP light on dashboard
Hey everybody,

Something wrong is going on with my car, hope you can help me

About a week ago STOP light on the dashboard flashed for the first time - I ignored it then, but unfortunately it returned to me two days later, when car went completely crazy - STOP light was flashing like powered from techno music frequencies and radiator fans were starting just after turning on the ignition (on cold engine) and stopping right after stopping the engine - they were not working after turning engine off like in other threads I found on forum.

Because of problems with coolant temperature I've found earlier (low temperature when driving, rising up dangerously when idling for longer time or driving in heavy traffic) I linked all this problems to brown temperature sensor which I thought was responsible for controlling fans. I've changed thermostat some time ago and was pretty sure it's working properly so I picked up and mounted new sensor.

Unfortunately...

...there was no change...

What can I do now? Every hint will be appreciated

PS. I don't know if it's worth adding but after I bought this car, after turning on A/C when the engine was quite heated the STOP light was turning on.
Thanks given by:
1.8 16v. theyre usually fairly reliable. When did it last have a water pump and belt change? Any funny noises accompanying it or just this mad stuff? Could well be an electrical fault somewhere. Check the earth points?
Thanks given by:
Hey, water pump and belt change was made at 211.000km, now it's about 280.000. No unusual noises heard.

Where can I find all earth points?
Thanks given by:
there is one in the inner wing on the right and another that goes to the gearbox.
Thanks given by:
There are many earth points and I will try and find/post diagram now, the main earth from the battery to the g/box and from there to the body is all good ??

I have fitted as per thread on here an extra earth from battery to strut top bolt, as well as from engine to body and battery to ecu metalwork.  will find the earth diagram for 306 for you now.......

bugger, comp system wont let me open guide thread, but look in the guides section, index and scroll down.

diagram shows location of all 306 earth points, of which there are many.

both chassis rails under bonnet for a start......
Thanks given by:
check the condition of the round plug onto the fan cowling, corrosion and shorting in these can cause issues, also check the relays.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: arooscroocked
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=10000 earth diagrams may be in this bit, comp still refuses me to open the address.....
Thanks given by: arooscroocked
Hey, thank you all for comprehensive answers and interest, diagrams will be heckin useful Smile - tomorrow I'm going to my parents place for Xmas, got tools and garage there so I'll try to check everything you've listed.

Also I bought myself book shown below, hope it help me sort out what's going on Huh 
[Image: 68adfc1b4979a4c8937812562888]

By the way - Merry Christmas, wish you the best!
Thanks given by:
I would check the relays where the fan is in a triangle cover make sure there not rusted or melted. It's also best to check the large relays under the dash as well I had one of these look burning out. The way I found it I pulled each relay out and on the side the mate pins are. My fN on my old car used to stay on all the time and funny things going on to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Hi, little update - today, when I arrived home after 100km trip I noticed that STOP light was gone and fans were working correctly, both when idling or driving. I don't know if it matters but it was a really rainy day here. Got to check all that things you've listed boys, hope I'll find some time for this next week.
lies
Also, I started wondering what is the operating temperature of LFY engine - mine's warms out pretty quickly, but when driving, temperature varies between 75 and 80 degrees. After idling for about 15-20 mins I can hear fans working in very quick, short series. Thermostat and brown sensor changed. Heating works very well.

Are this temperatures normal? Every other car I've driven had 90 degrees most of the time... If it's not, then maybe dashboard gauge suck?
Thanks given by:
Sorry only know a bit about our 306 2l diesel hdi, but look around the forum for similar fault/faults for your model, also the guides section and proper wiring diagrams. The PUG PARTS facility of pug has lots of data as well, exploded views are a great help.

I too have the Haynes manual which is OK, but sometimes very vaugue.
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2017, 03:17 AM)arooscroocked Wrote: Hi, little update - today, when I arrived home after 100km trip I noticed that STOP light was gone and fans were working correctly, both when idling or driving. I don't know if it matters but it was a really rainy day here. Got to check all that things you've listed boys, hope I'll find some time for this next week.
lies
Also, I started wondering what is the operating temperature of LFY engine - mine's warms out pretty quickly, but when driving, temperature varies between 75 and 80 degrees. After idling for about 15-20 mins I can hear fans working in very quick, short series. Thermostat and brown sensor changed. Heating works very well.

Are this temperatures normal? Every other car I've driven had 90 degrees most of the time... If it's not, then maybe dashboard gauge suck?

My HDi and GTi6 both sat/sit at 80 degrees at normal cruising speeds. I believe that to be normal, all of my other cars I’ve had have sat around 80/85 too.
Thanks given by:
thermostat is 83 degrees on most pugs, so once up to temperature they shouldn't go below (or over) this when moving
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Hey, since Christmas I haven't had time to take care of it properly, but I think the easiest thing I can do is changing dashboard temperature sensor (the blue one).

The thing that bother me the most is how temperature gauge moves depending on driving situations - when I'm driving in heavy traffic (centre of Warsaw) temperature rises to 90* and above sometimes, but doesn't exceed 100/105* - I feel that fans kicks in properly. But then just drive a few hundred meters in mixed conditions and temperature falls to 80-90*. Higher speeds outside the city? Below 80*.
For me it's too... repeatable? I would be tempted to believe that it should be so, because indication of the gauge seems so logic (higher speed - better cooling, traffic jam - high temp), but I also believe that indications shouldn't "fluctuate" so much.

First thing I would think about would be thermostat but I changed it already.
Blue dashboard sensor? Actually last thing that left to check, even if it doesn't looks like it's faulty. Guess I'll replace this sensor within few days (paycheck incoming) and let you know if it solve the problem.

God, I wish I've had thermometer that covers this range of temperatures to check them in more "analog" way bypassing the sensors.

Stay tuned!
[Image: 80e410b0c97c2b87med.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Laser thermometer isnt expensive Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hey guys, got a little problem here...
From what I know there are 3 sensors in the thermostat housing:

blue                                           green                                         brown
[Image: a69a62b1477f725d4d8d914f4bffe998_88409A.jpg][Image: 02ed4dd8f4981bff7c14d0cae77d6fc2_88405A.jpg][Image: 494d60e154629b730ce3a882e69861e7_88401A.jpg]

Now please enlighten me - which does what? I think I'm little bit lost now, although I thought I knew...
And all of it is because of this...
[Image: dd5ee85312f28b2ce3e5a7f2de766a93_IMG_63261_1818030.jpg]
named as temperature switch/radiator fan. I don't know where to look for it and I suppose it might be a reason of my problems because fans still goes crazy sometimes.
Thanks given by: xom
Blue sensor doesn't have any control over fans - just feeds dash gauge.

Green sensor is for ECU (adjusting fuel mixture)

Brown sensor is related to air con and is linked to the double fans. With air con fans cool both rad and condenser.

Best explanation I've found on the web is here http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wsh...fanop1.htm

....oh, and I'm fairly sure air con models don't have a fan switch mounted in the radiator (the 4th picture you've shown).
Thanks given by: arooscroocked , xom
yep, nailed it.
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2018, 11:33 AM)welshpug Wrote: yep, nailed it.

Cheers man. Wasn't 100% certain on all that as electrics are a bit of a weak point for me. Getting there slowly ....
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2018, 08:33 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Blue sensor doesn't have any control over fans - just feeds dash gauge.

Green sensor is for ECU (adjusting fuel mixture)

Brown sensor is related to air con and is linked to the double fans. With air con fans cool both rad and condenser.

Best explanation I've found on the web is here http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wsh...fanop1.htm

....oh, and I'm fairly sure air con models don't have a fan switch mounted in the radiator (the 4th picture you've shown).
I think I may need a pro to check mine are operating correctly sometime then. (in the summer) Huh

It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Hey @Mighty306, thanks for info and the link, I've been once on that site but couldn't find it lately. I'll make a little summary, hope it'll help to organize all the informations.

So, the brown sensor is changed and fans are working. I also assume that green sensor is fine too, because I've got no problem with low MPG or something. Within few days I'll change blue sensor and see what are the temperature indications.

Now, after the lecure of given article I started to wonder why STOP light goes on occasionaly. I don't know if I stated it earlier, but after turning on the A/C the STOP light is lit until I turn it off. Fans starts to spin just after turning it on. So it came to my mind, that maybe control unit could be faulty. What do you think about it? Is there any way to test it?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dashboard bulbs LewisG 8 5,001 21-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Last Post: MattDanPug
  Dashboard bulbs Niall 21 6,223 21-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Last Post: MattDanPug
  Dashboard intermittent rev counter, no coolant temperature. Dantheman1312 3 1,605 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: RetroPug