Lucas Advance Switch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas Advance Switch
Hi all,

Having some misfiring at start up in the cold weather as the cold start system doesn’t function. Fitted a brand new wax stat which has the cold start cable moving properly which has improved things slightly, but the advance switch is also faulty. Can’t seem to find a part number for it anywhere or anyone trying to sell them. Does anyone have any ideas where o might get one or what the part number is?

Cheers,

Rich
Thanks given by:
Misfiring is more likely bad glow plug(s).
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
I’d agree if I hadn’t fitted a set of genuine Bosch ones about 12 months ago. Suppose I better test them just in case but I’m confident it’s not advancing the injection.

Rich
Thanks given by:
It doesn't even advance the pump that much, it shouldn't be misfiring for any length of time when cold once it's started.

Glow plugs can fail at any time regardless of the brand. I've fitted Beru, NGK, Bosch, Denso, and they're all as shit as each other. Smile

When you say the "system" isn't working what exactly do to you mean? If it thinks the engine is warm it will be turning the glow plugs off right after starting. They should get a constant 12v for 3-4 minutes after the engine is started and running. It's more likely the reason why it runs lumpy rather than your advance. Should be easy to check there is a 12v feed with a multimeter on the glow plug loom.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Im having same problem 2 sets of glow plugs and a used working relay unit still does it
Thanks given by:
Done mine was the cold start switch
Thanks given by:
Does seem like the Lucas pumps on the XUD advance a lot less when cold than Bosch pumps on VW engines - no idea why. After more testing it seems like the advance solenoid is clicking when the switch is closed, so the switch seems to be working. Cold start advance thermostat is new and working well so I’m going to have a close look at the glow plugs and if it’s not then then I think I need to work out if the solenoid is actually moving.

Rich
Thanks given by:
(22-03-2018, 08:32 PM)RAW Wrote: Does seem like the Lucas pumps on the XUD advance a lot less when cold than Bosch pumps on VW engines - no idea why. After more testing it seems like the advance solenoid is clicking when the switch is closed, so the switch seems to be working. Cold start advance thermostat is new and working well so I’m going to have a close look at the glow plugs and if it’s not then then I think I need to work out if the solenoid is actually moving.

Rich

Mind the old golf diesels used to have a manual advance on them!  Rofl just hooked it up to a "choke" lever.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Thermostatically actuated on the posh six pots in the volvo Smile thermostats often fail though hence it was the first thing I suspected on the pug. I was right but it doesn’t seem to be the whole problem.

Rich
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  406 semi ecu XUD9, lumpy/idling issues,advance woes Piggy 3 1,353 28-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan
  pistion advance setting of pump Bosch niciou 6 2,203 20-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: niciou
  Bosch advance solenoid Uberderv 13 3,900 14-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Piggy