cold hi idle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cold hi idle
Cant say this has happened before.

Brrr cold this morning with hail stone on windscreen and local area has a white dusting, cant see top of Snowdon but it will be white I suspect. Clock temp gauge said 6 degrees c and no flashing. Started engine ( started after about 4 compressions ) and idle, which after a few seconds jumped up to just over 1000 rpm as of something had turned on.

After a minute or 2 the clock temp rose to 7 degrees and the idle speed dropped to about 900 as if something had turned off. No surging ( which always seems to happen, surging between 900 and 800 which settles after a minute or 2 ) but a very gradual lowering of rpm to normal.

Didn't hear any clicking as if heater plug relay working.

Is this normal like a cold weather up idle ? 

Engine seems all ok power wise.

Normal for cold weather ?

ps the coolant heater plugs system relays have been removed for ages as some plastic around the relay nearest the engine relay socket has happened in the past, probably because the relay may have always been on due to a poor lazy faulty thermostat and low coolant temp when we first got this car. Normal coolant temp has been around 80 degrees ever since.
Thanks given by:
I expect throttle position sensor by coincidence. Pull the plug and clean regardless.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
wilco and report back....
Thanks given by:
The ECU will raise the idle speed if it's cold enough, not on a computer at the min to look but I seem to remember it being lower than 6-7 degreesC.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I don’t remember it doing anything unusual and had some bloody cold starts. Only time I recall high idle was that pesky plug!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lumpy idle when cold also longer to start when warm Chris_90 21 6,494 14-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Chris_90