New Turbo!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Turbo!
Look what arrived in the post for me todaay, it's a GT2052, It's only done 100 miles since new as the previous owner decided to get friendly with a tree so broke the whole car. Bargain price for me!

Just got to work out how to fit it now, Ideas welcome!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
welder.................job done Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Sorry, should have remembered Mark was online.

Any serious suggestions that don't just involve scaffold tube and a welder are welcomed!

lmao

Thanks given by:
The turbine inlet looks very similar to an early T2, so perhaps a trip to the scrappy for a ph1 exhaust manifold?

Edit: Just noticed you have a HDi ninja
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
well stupid question gets stupid answer, and tbh the welder would work fine, but you need to make up adaptor plates like everyone else.............how else were you planning on doing it? I suppose you could get a custom manifold made up with the correct flange on for the turbo but that could maybe be a little bit OTT?!.................and then just re route pipework to relevant places, what more do you want to know thats not really already obvious? Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I don't know really.... was just wanting to see if anyone came up with any ideas like machining a hotside that would already fit an hdi? I've yet to do any research so will go away and look.

And I know I could just make adapters or weld it on BTW lol

Thanks given by:
Looks good.

I thought the HDi manifold outlet to the turbo was a triangular shaped one (three studs), so shirley that is a pretty close fit.

As for the bit that goes out down the exhaust, surely you can just get the OEM downpipe off the car that this turbo was used on and adapt it into the HDi down pipe?

Might be talking bollarks here, actual oily hands turbo swaps are getting out of my experience area quite rapidly here... Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
Have fun fitting that, as when its bolted to the manifold the exhaust outlet will be pointing back up towards the top of the bulkhead.
Its gonna be a tight fit with a sharp bend to bring the exhaust to the right place.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Landy tD5 turbo or a Rover 1.8T one...

Have fun fitting that one - that exhaust downpipe will be a right slag on that housing, I'd look for another GT20 with the same wheel trim to nick the housing off.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hmm hmmm...

Ruan, any idea which gt20? i.e which car to look at?

And yeah it's off a disco TD5.

Thanks given by:
GT2056 Wink
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jonny do some research as to what cars they come on.
There is a application there fitted to that has to bolted manifold side, but a band clap exhaust side which would just require the original flange with a 90* welded on then a flexy pipe back into the standard down pipe.
Thanks given by:
Right.. I've spent the last couple of hours trying to work out a suitable way of getting this to fit. I can't find the application that Chris has suggested, so I'm stumped on that one. However, I have had a couple of thoughts.

One is to remove the standard airbox, all associated piping etc.. then gearbox mount it. Although I am aware this has several downsides, It would at least be able to fit in without modification to the turbo.

My other option is (and please someone tell me if I'm being stupid here) to try and use a T2 or similar hotside, machined out to fit, but I understand it's not just a case of milling out the casting and sticking it in.

Either way, this won't be happening until later in the year so gives me plenty of time to get it right. (unless the K03 blows up..)

Cheers for your help guys, I know I'm being a noob on this one, but we've all got to start somewhere eh? :roll:

Thanks given by:
I'll give you some hints, it came on a 2.2 common rail car, bigger car and a van, all of the same prestige make.
Original power output of 125bhp, the newer engines still have a gt2052 but a vnt version.
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:I'll give you some hints, it came on a 2.2 common rail car, bigger car and a van, all of the same prestige make.
Original power output of 125bhp, the newer engines still have a gt2052 but a vnt version.
Smells like a mercedes to me??? whistle
Thanks given by:
2.2 CDi IIRC.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
or vauxhall DTI?

Thanks given by:
He said prestige. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
lol

Thanks given by:
Jonny81191 Wrote:Right.. I've spent the last couple of hours trying to work out a suitable way of getting this to fit. I can't find the application that Chris has suggested, so I'm stumped on that one. However, I have had a couple of thoughts.

One is to remove the standard airbox, all associated piping etc.. then gearbox mount it. Although I am aware this has several downsides, It would at least be able to fit in without modification to the turbo.

My other option is (and please someone tell me if I'm being stupid here) to try and use a T2 or similar hotside, machined out to fit, but I understand it's not just a case of milling out the casting and sticking it in.

Either way, this won't be happening until later in the year so gives me plenty of time to get it right. (unless the K03 blows up..)

Cheers for your help guys, I know I'm being a noob on this one, but we've all got to start somewhere eh? :roll:

The problem is the hot side shape as Ruan said, it'll never fit down the back, even with a different compressor end. The angle between inlet and outlet of the exhaust ports is just wrong Sad

The Mercedes turbo sounds like a good bet. Is that the one that Lars used and provided dimensions/fitting flange plans for years ago? Probably a good bet as it fit well iirc!

Dave
Thanks given by:
Right... Having looked at this, I'm just going to try and get a CDI 220 to nick a housing from, then fit it down the back.

I remember seeing pictures of that one fitted to an HDi, I'll go and try to find the guide he put up!

Cheers all for your help on this one.

Thanks given by:
hurry up knobber! just lash it on with cable ties, im sure DumDum would have before lol
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 01:43 AM)samass Wrote: hurry up knobber! just lash it on with cable ties, im sure DumDum would have before lol

Erm no, Im actually quit a good engineer

I would already of thought up several possible solutions to the problem, picking the best solution on its merits which would probably be using a specific number of ratchet tightening poly ethylene straps.
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 07:05 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(21-06-2012, 01:43 AM)samass Wrote: hurry up knobber! just lash it on with cable ties, im sure DumDum would have before lol

I would already of thought up several possible solutions to the problem, picking the best solution on its merits which would probably be using a specific number of ratchet tightening poly ethylene straps.

Or some double sided sticky tape and blue tack failing that eh? lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 07:05 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Rofl
Thanks given by: