House electrical question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House electrical question
Hi all

Hope some useful electrician type can help. Got these light fittings in my new house. Ive put a tested bulb in them and they dont work.

Can i test them with a multimeter without killing myself??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Can't see pictures it's too big...
Thanks given by:
Fiddled with the image, did post from my phone so couldn't then! Any help appreciated!
Thanks given by:
12 - 24v -240v G4 or G6.35 lamps
if your trying to fit led lamps and they are not working switch them around

other faults are generally drivers on the low voltage type they have an electronic transformer which go faulty

some of them cant be tested easily as they shut down with no load

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
GU 5.3 MR16 Lamp probably 12v. Possible that the transformer is dead, they normally pack in due to excessive heat from the halogen lamp. Are you installing LED lamps?

Transformer should pretty easy to change for someone with basic diy skills but if your unsure call in a spark.
Thanks given by:
Just got halogen bulbs to replace them for now, will look into LED lights later (once i've used the halogen bulbs probably, these things are bloody expensive!!)

Next silly question, is the transformer in the little white plug we can see or is it further up in the attic?

I like normal lights lol
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2017, 06:23 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Next silly question, is the transformer in the little white plug we can see or is it further up in the attic?

I like normal lights lol

the white thing is only the plug for the lamp the cables will be heat resistant type, follow them up there may be a transformer unit,

transformer will be within the ceiling void, could be one per lamp or could be 1 for all depending on how many lamps

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,115 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,613 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  more annoying house stuff from me, builder/extension! cpikey316_ 7 2,767 03-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Last Post: insomaniac45