Fitting Door Strap Arrester Pin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Door Strap Arrester Pin
My door check strap fixings were knackered (the bits that bolt to the A pillar) so I sourced new ones from the dealers.  The pin that holds the check strap in place is a different design from standard as per the pics - it's a double shrouded tube.

Anyone have any idea how to get the pin to stay in place?  I was thinking I might have to hammer something into it to get it to open out and stay put.

Cheers
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
Hmmm looks pretty similar to what ive got. Are you sure its not the same and doesnt require a little hammering to get into place? How much were the parts?
Thanks given by:
that's a normal pin, just tap it in with a small hammer or something heavy Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Should've explained, it did fit snugly when I first fitted it (tapped in with a hammer) but had the door off and on to do the loom and now it just slips through. Maybe I'll try and prise it apart so it's wider then hammer it in again.

Thanks given by:
(29-09-2017, 11:49 AM)partybish Wrote: Should've explained, it did fit snugly when I first fitted it (tapped in with a hammer) but had the door off and on to do the loom and now it just slips through.  Maybe I'll try and prise it apart so it's wider then hammer it in again.

yeah just put a screwdriver in the side, twist with your hand to open it out, failing that just nut and bolt it Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
thought the centre part on these pins came out first,
then insert the outer into the hole
then drive the inner pin into the centre to splay and lock the pin in place

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I ended up doing what Matt said, took both out, opened them both up a bit and then tapped into place. Seems OK but it goes again I'll nut and bolt it - not massively keen on the design of them over the ones they replaced.

Cheers for the advice.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check strap Sheered PugRory 3 1,024 24-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Jake
  Fitting door speakers? JTaylor2005 2 1,334 29-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Poorly fitting door card? underground375 2 1,280 25-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: underground375