1999 Cabriolet Cleanup!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1999 Cabriolet Cleanup!
I assume it passed n is now back on the road? Good news if it is.  Interested to see how things work/worked out with the rear window.

How many miles did you clock up whilst the dials were 'wonky'? The mileage is recorded in the security module n as far as I know can't be changed. Not sure I would worry that much as it's still showing v low mileage anyway!
Thanks given by:
It's booked in for retest, need a dry day so I can replace the wishbone bushes!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I would leave it as it is. Just be honest about the milage of the car and the mileometer when selling the car. There are so many 15+ year old cars with new engines or dashboards...
Thanks given by:
Got a bit done today, till I ran out of daylight! Replaced the passenger wishbone and bushes, and discovered that the passenger side CV boot wasn't split, but the clip on the gearbox end of the shaft was missing, so repacked it with grease and replaced it. Will check again in a few days. Before darkness came I had started stripping away the airbox so I could refill the gear oil, through the top there looks to be a sensor? Looks like a 21mm spanner could open it, can I fill the oil through here?

Thanks given by:
And it's tested for another year! Not without it's trials (typically), the wishbones I ordered were the riveted kind, so held onto the old ones so I can rebuild when (if) I get a weekend I'm at nothing else. Driver's side fitted- not a problem. Passenger side fitted- driveshaft wouldn't go back in properly, and when it did the passenger wheel was toed in at least half a turn of the steering wheel while the driver's side wheel remained straight ahead. Enlisted the help of a mechanic/teammate on my football team, who deduced that the replacement passenger side wishbone was 2cm shorted than the original. As the two wishbones I bought were identical in size and length I assume the passenger side had a replacement hub/suspension components at some stage (there are signs of old repairs on that side, slightly bad paint job on the pass wing, frosted foglight on one side, clear on the other, different coloured top door hinge on pass door, one headlight takes H4, other H7) so I shouldn't be entirely surprised. Still, something to chalk up to experience and remember for next time![Image: df224f17003784a01e38e6e2e3598b03.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Had a bit of an issue arising the past few weeks, so with the first dry bright Sunday evening I had the chance to investigate. On start up the car will review to about 2000rpm, idle there for about ten seconds, then settles back down, but is idling very very rough. Also when pulling off or accelerating out of corners or off roundabouts it hesitates a lot under acceleration. I had a fuel filter I bought but never fitted so did that in about 5 mins. Didn't really think it would fix the issue, and alas it didn't.

Things I'm going to check after checking the forum-

MAP
ICV
Spark Plugs

Any other suggestions?

Thanks given by:
I'd check for a vacuum leak first.  After that ICV and MAP are candidates.  The info on here for testing sensors (power supply to them & sensor itself) is also applicable to your car.  http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340.   Even if you test the voltage on the wiring though that isn't a guarantee the wire can carry a load & allow the ECU to have control / receive signals.  It may be cheaper in the long run to get a diagnosis from good garage.

If you decide to sort it yourself & go down the road of replacing the MAP and/or ICV, whatever you do don't go for the really cheap one off eBay.  They probably won't work properly & might send you down a diagnostic blind alley.  Your cab is a Phase 2 isn't it?  If so …

MAP - Pug number 1920.9H, Bosch 0 261 230 012
ICV - Pug number 1920.X9, Magneti Marelli 820003385010, VDO C95197
Thanks given by:
Thanks a million! Haven't looked at it again since but it's something I want to do this week, it sort of stopped doing it so hard to try process of elimination!

So today being another gorgeous if windy day I decided to make a stab at replacing the rear window.

Window off: about 90 seconds
Cleaning the adhesive tape residue off the roof: about three hours!
Zipping in new window and pressing on new tape: about 30 mins

Came out pretty well, and a damn sight better than the old one!                        

Thanks given by:
Good job. Window looks great!
Thanks given by:
Got a bit done over the last week:
Finally found some decent stuff to take the mildew/mould off the roof, have spent plenty on products online that I was assured would deal with it, only for it to just full down, then come back after a few weeks. It was something i took a chance on that I saw in a discount store, and cost €1.50! Happy days!

Did it a few weeks ago (well half of it, to see if it was going to come back) and still all good! Going to do it fully over the weekend, then use the waterproofer on it to hopefully keep it from coming back! [Image: 2f6c62c986ae9be4aba6333252a0544a.jpg][Image: f8db5cc9ca31e2202ffd31d558a5a09b.jpg][Image: bece754a76437996d1dfd4d426eef3bc.jpg]

I also pulled the finger out and swapped/tested tht parts Mighty306 sent me (Thanks James!) Changed the ICV- no change with the idling/hesitating.
Changed the TPS- instant improvement, no hesitating, much more responsive when lifting off and back on, idle much better, but an absolute bitch to get to!

One addition to the fleet also, and one I'm working on!

Found a house about 5 miles away from me with a 2000 1.8 cabriolet, also China Blue, looking a bit sorry for itself sitting outside. Nobody home so left my name and number enquiring about it. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks. As luck would have it I had a phone repair fault 3 doors down, so chanced my arm and knocked on the door again, getting an answer. Wasn't told no straight out, just that her husband would give me a shout! Was her father's, wouldn't start one day and her husband (a mechanic) brought it to the house to have a look at it, and there it sat since!

A friend bought a 2000 China Blue 106, 1.1 zest with 137000 on the clock, and running like a watch. The day after he bought it he decided he didn't need it so asked if I wanted it. Rang my insurance company, who wouldn't insure it on a normal policy (too old), and wouldn't add it to the cabriolet's classic policy (not old enough [emoji849]). Told him no, that I had no need/want for it.

Fast forward a few weeks, and in conversation I asked him if he still had it. He said he was selling it to a neighbour, who wanted to essentially trash it around the field for the summer and then dump it! Having done this with a fair few old cars when I was that age that's not what troubled me, what troubled me was the fact that it was in such good condition! If it was a ball of shite I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

So today, €150 later, it's parked beside the 306!
Plan is to give it a good wash and clean, and stick a cover on it till January, when it turns 20, then can be stuck onto the insurance and tested!

Though as I'm finding it hard to find time to drive the cabriolet, adding another car to the mix wont make it any easier [emoji23]

Thanks given by:
Forgot to add pics, here's the 106![Image: 1637dc06fd6c8e5a3b38bd437186864e.jpg][Image: 34cd055bdaf773505e7d03d164e6c164.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Good job with the roof ...it's come up surprisingly well. Really good to hear you sorted the running problems too. The tracks on the TPS tend to break down v close to the closed throttle position (where they sit most of the time). You're right that the TPS is a.pig to get to with the throttle body still on the manifold. I find it easier these days to pull the throttle body off.

The 106 looks to be in great condition. Like me n a few others on here it seems you just can't resist a new project. I'm thinking that the ideal number of projects = n+1 where n is the number of projects you already have! If only there were 30 hours in a day!!!
Thanks given by:
So managed to move the 106 on last week, got 300 for it, which is approximately what the lad wants for the spares cabriolet! All I did was wash it and advertise it, so easy money back into the other car. The guys in holidays this week so will hopefully get the spares cabriolet back to mine next week. Aiming for for the August bank holiday weekend for getting the parts I want onto mine, there's a French car show locally then so it's a deadline if nothing else!

Will hopefully get it done, on leave until the 29th of July on account of the arrival of this little chap![Image: 749fc968bf213ffc1b01e6ccb2b64fdf.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Many congratulations Oli. It'll be understandable if the car takes a back seat for a while. You're going to be kept very busy! Smile
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2019, 08:28 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Many congratulations Oli. It'll be understandable if the car takes a back seat for a while. You're going to be kept very busy! Smile
Many thanks James, he's doing me great favours by sleeping great during the day and evening, giving me loads of time to tinker away! Night time? That's another story [emoji23]

So collected the donor cab last Thursday, got it home left it there until this evening. Gave the bodywork a good scrub and assessed the situation:

Bonnet- far better than mine- swapped

Headlights- crystal, better than mine (discoloured and lined)- swapped

Grille and hockey sticks- in one piece so better than mine- swapped but need to source a set of the clips for under the wings

Next to swap:

Wings- in much better nick than mine, which are scratched and dented, and one has had a poor paint job at some stage

Rear drivers light cluster- mine is letting in water from a massive crack that magically appeared and was pointed out by my four year old, who however knew nothing of it's origin!

Aerial- missing on mine. The donor has a non-retractable one, was hoping to pick up a retractable one but with the money they're going for on eBay any aerial is better than no aerial!

The seller claimed the electric roof was all working 100% so will need to get a decent battery onto it to see, and swap over whatever bits I need.

Attached are a few pics of getting it home, and swapping over the parts.[Image: 38fac609bec99d6034a407099f310f21.jpg][Image: 4e1987005b7c0523fbe0d1b399ff6693.jpg][Image: d8a02c41d489bbd9d5e22e7b22e4bbf3.jpg][Image: 2accdb530505109677c0913270a56021.jpg][Image: c4c3c5433188d3752a6a10ea550688ba.jpg][Image: 2e9d5025087ce34d41cbbc127920afbd.jpg][Image: 560b12d569481ad821f758c798765d56.jpg]

Thanks given by:
So collected the donor cab last Thursday, got it home left it there until this evening. Gave the bodywork a good scrub and assessed the situation:

Bonnet- far better than mine- swapped

Headlights- crystal, better than mine (discoloured and lined)- swapped

Grille and hockey sticks- in one piece so better than mine- swapped but need to source a set of the clips for under the wings

Next to swap:

Wings- in much better nick than mine, which are scratched and dented, and one has had a poor paint job at some stage

Rear drivers light cluster- mine is letting in water from a massive crack that magically appeared and was pointed out by my four year old, who however knew nothing of it's origin!

Aerial- missing on mine. The donor has a non-retractable one, was hoping to pick up a retractable one but with the money they're going for on eBay any aerial is better than no aerial!

The seller claimed the electric roof was all working 100% so will need to get a decent battery onto it to see, and swap over whatever bits I need.

Attached are a few pics of getting it home, and swapping over the parts

Thanks given by:
looks like youve got all the bits you need. good luck swapping all the bits over!
Thanks given by:
So today we were meant to be bringing the cab to the Nenagh Classic car show, about 35 mins from home. Their theme for the this year was "Japan vs. the World but a large gathering of French cars had been organised also. The night previous the car had developed a horrible misfire and was idling like a pig, to the point where unless the revs were above 2 or 3000 rpm the car would cut out.
Took the TPS and ICV off my donor car, and the idle returned to normal. Got 2.5 miles down the road, and it started again. Back we went to leave the car at home, and travel in the less show-worthy 2013 Picasso!
To say I was bitterly disappointed was an understatement. All the cosmetic parts that I'd taken from the donor car had transformed the look of the car to the point where at least two of my friends had asked me had I bought a new one!
Having a lovely day with the family looking at hundreds of top machines in good weather helped ease the frustration. It was also Frankie's first car show!

When I got home I blew the cobwebs off my old XP laptop and fired up Peugeot Planet to see what's what. 3 engine fault codes flashed up. I cleared them and ran the test again. 2 remained.
I'll attach the picture[Image: c6101673c6b636674cf298bf602fc8a6.jpg]

(26-07-2019, 12:38 PM)Eeyore Wrote: looks like youve got all the bits you need. good luck swapping all the bits over!
Cheers Sam! Still in the world of 306s or is it all three wheels and a tall skinny flag for you now?

Also did you ever check to see if you had any of the 306oc stickers left?

Thanks given by:
Hey Oli.  Lets face it, there's never a good time for your car to start playing up, but just before a show is particularly bad timing!

How confident are you at tracking down the problem from the codes you got from PP2000?  You could try to get the O2 sensor out of the donor car and see if that fixes it, otherwise you're looking at a wiring issue.  You've got an ECU pin diagram so should be easy enough to test from the ECU to the harness connector behind the exhaust manifold.  2 of the wires are related to the heater circuit & the others are signal wires.

The second fault on PP2000 is essentially saying the ECU can't keep the air-fuel ratio stoichiometric.  Most likely that's related to the O2 sensor, but in my case I got that code without any indication a sensor was involved.  I changed quite a few sensors and actually made the problem worse with a cheap MAP sensor.  (Never made that mistake again & now mostly go for Bosch, who were the OEM supplier for a lot of those parts).  Finally it turned out to actually be a poorly installed cam belt which had put the valve timing out by a small amount, but enough to upset the ECU.  (Installation by previous owner & I suspect they tensioned it without loosening off the cam sprockets).

Good luck on sorting it!
Thanks given by:
Small update time!
Been using the cabriolet infrequently the past few months without incident, still a very rough hesitation low down but once I get going up the gears it seems to be fine. Have a used MAP sensor from Mighty306 to try and fit to see if it fixes it but haven't had time/daylight/figured a way to do it without A. losing all the skin off my fingers or B. Pulling half the engine apart.

Windscreen wiper motor packed in one rainy night on the way home from training, which resulted in me only using it in the dry cause I'm a lazy so and so.

Now I have after hours driving on the work van I see myself using it even less now, though that should enable me to get some of the work done on it I keep putting off in the event i get delayed with parts etc and might need it the following day. These include:

Timing belt
Rebuild roof electrics
Refurbish wheels
Sort out the interior
MAP sensor

Also have to fully strip the breaker I have, and store what I'm keeping off it neatly so I know where everything is.

Cars and coffee this morning, so replaced the wiper motor with the one out of the breaker (even if it hadn't stopped working it needed doing, intermittent hadn't worked since I bought the car) 20 minute job!

Met Patrick, who's bought a few parts off me off the breaker for his cab, got a picture of the cars together, reckon only 5 or 6 on the road in Ireland! Apparently his car has graced the forum a few years ago, previously with a HDi engine, now with an Irish reg, and an XSi engine with a load of GTi6 bits on it. [attachment=31994]    

Thanks given by:
Hi Oli. Good to see an update. Hope the baby has settled in to a decent routine!

To change a MAP sensor you need to remove the airbox and then the throttle body. The TB is quick to remove with a hex socket on an extension.

As said before, your car may use the MAP with the later style connector. If you know the build code & have access to Servicebox you could check on there  before trying to change it.

Good luck!
Thanks given by:
NCT:
after only having done 1030 miles since the last test, I wasn't expecting too much needing doing.
As it turns out it was indeed things I knew I needed to do anyway!

-Brake performance below required level
-Emissions 1.07 (above 1.03 allowed)
-Headlight adjustment

I had intended to do the brakes in the new year anyway, this just hastened the need to do them by a few weeks! Pads and discs all round ordered, arrived next day from ECP, a job for between Christmas and New Year!

Given the amount of acting up it's been doing at idle and coming off roundabouts/ up to junctions, plus the fault codes on Peugeot Planet pointing toward the oxygen sensor acting up, bit the bullet and ordered one, again to be fitted next week (that'll be fun).

Swapped the headlights off the scrap cab I picked up over the summer onto mine without checking adjustment, so again not entirely unexpected!

Also, picked up a ropey set of cyclones for €50! Two tyres and a refurb needed but I'll pick the best 4 from the 8 I now have and refurb them, and keep the other 4 on the scrapper so I have a rolling shell if I need to move it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Wow, the little one's growing up fast Oli! I use a 22mm spanner for the O2 sensor (because I have one in the toolbox anyway) but since space it tight one of these might be worth getting. Have been thinking about picking one up myself. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-1-2-DRIV...1824840116

If you find the old one seems stuck tight, stick some heat on it for a good while with a blow torch. Has done the trick for me in the past.

Have a good Christmas mate.
Thanks given by:
Good call on the socket, I'll likely get one, after trying a 22mm spanner and much cursing!

And that was supposed to be a picture of the test sheet saying what it had failed on, not a picture of the middle child!! Merry Christmas to you too James and thanks for the help and advice during the year!

Thanks given by:
One of those days between Christmas and New year where you can't eat any more or watch any more telly so to work!
Set about doing the brakes, and straight away hit a problem of wrong front pads! Checked ECP website and rang the local branch, the pads they had that matched the picture of my existing pads was a set that also had a wear sensor cable, I asked him to order me a set and will bring one of the old pads in to cross reference. This happened to me on a 2001 HDi 2 door a few years ago, I think I just cut the sensor off as there was nowhere to plug it in!

Anyway got the rears done in record time, nothing went wrong or was seized or broken which is what normally happens!

Also think I need to invest in some new tyres! Torn between getting decent quality tyres and budgets, the car only did 1000 miles last year and rarely gets out in the rain!

Thanks Matt (Frosty) who pointed out on Instagram that I need to change the brake pad clips to the top of the pad! There were no clips on the old pads so no point of reference!

Happy "not knowing what day it is between Christmas and New year" everyone![Image: b23bd5c24c99223a52f08cc8d0e155c3.jpg][Image: 8c2e0224d8db6865a75c1a35316e6148.jpg][Image: acb34d5f415733040641c59628e8f35a.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Hi Oli. They fitted 3 different caliper types to cars with the 266mm front Brakes. They were Lucas/Girling, Bosch and I think the third type were ATE. Your old pads look like they came from a Lucas/Girling caliper, which is what mine are. They often come with the wear indicator connection cable. Like you I have to cut them off as I don't have that system on the car. (I assume the same calipers got fitted to other vehicles that did).

Those tyres look old! What was the date code on them? Considering how many miles you do in the car I can understand you wanting to go for budgets. I was put off using them a few years ago when I read an article on how much greater the stopping distances were on budget tyres, in all conditions.  I'm using the car a lot more tho. Might be worth shopping around for some decent 'mid-range' tyres. Sometimes the step-up in price really isn't that great.

Happy New Year!
Thanks given by:
Tyres were dated 2009, so yeah I think they need changing [emoji23]

Thanks given by:
Got the correct pads, both sides done inside an hour and a ten minute job adjusting the handbrake.

Couldn't get anywhere near the lambda sensor to change it, and there was no join after the cat that I could take off that section to do it on the bench. I did however find a small crack just after the cat where it was cut and welded which had now split slightly, and the cat was rubbing on the subframe (explains how boomy the exhaust has become) got a temporary fix on this!

Retest day today, and barring a telling-off from the tester who seemed very snotty for some reason, we have another years test![Image: bb4627076f5ef2d7e122faf297246aaa.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Two youngest had virus like symptoms so been at home self isolating for the past fortnight, however I've been far from idle. Bought a cheap eBay universal remote central locking kit and, relying heavily on cully's excellent central locking box layout on his ph2 IR thread, fitted it in under an hour. As getting to the cl box involved taking off the rear drivers side door card and rear seat base, I got a good look at the condition of the metal underneath, all thankfully solid. There was remnants of leaves and broken glass, which tells me it was likely sitting out in the elements for a time.

Started with a jump, but wont start even when the battery is fully charged, so when I get a chance a new battery is on the shopping list!

The kids also got me a present for one of the back windows!

For those that don't know, Chloe (our only child at the time when we bought the 306) named the car Louis, which suits it, given most people's comments it is a handbag car [emoji23][Image: 3b42a27d6a51ab2b969bd5ec125f9940.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Did more on the cabby in the last 48 hours than I have in months!

-New battery

-New roof locking mechanism

-New hood bin lid seal

-Finally got around to spraying the strut brace

-Tidied up the engine bay, giving it a deep clean and respraying a few metal bits in the bay (battery clamp etc)

Picked up a set of very rough cyclones for 50 quid a few months ago, next job is to get the tyres off and refurb them!

How's this strange new world treating everyone?[Image: 828d11bec853b1f7d41b50305a60157d.jpg]

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread partybish 58 18,844 19-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: PugLee