Whats happened to all the cheap cars!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats happened to all the cheap cars!!
So about 10 year ago i could buy something quick for under a grand no problem at all but i couldnt unsure it. I got offered all sorts integras, civics, imprezas for stupid cheap money but could never afford to insure them. Now im at an age where i can actually insure stuff anything remotly quick (around 200 bhp plus is my definition of quick) I cant afford to buy. Just what the hell happened to the cheap car market!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I have a feeling a lot of of the quick 80s/90s stuff that was affordable 10 years ago is rusted away and the examples that are left are priced for the fact they are iconic or there are cars that are so mint they come with a hefty price tag. Before buying the 306 I was looking at Integra Type R DC2s earlier this year and even rotters will cost £3.5k because of the potential value in the car once restored. There are even a few mint ones at £9k-11k and if they have been kept well I think they're only heading one way.
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
some industry lady gardens thought up the scrappage con.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
The only sub £1k 200bhp cars I can find on trader is a Volvo S60 and a Volvo S80
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...500&page=1
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...O_8&page=1

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2017, 05:51 PM)welshpug Wrote: some industry lady gardens thought up the scrappage con.

This is my thoughts exactly 
(01-09-2017, 05:54 PM)partybish Wrote: The only sub £1k 200bhp cars I can find on trader is a Volvo S60 and a Volvo S80
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...500&page=1
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...O_8&page=1

I know its mad right im starting to think that tuning cars that have less power is the only way forward at the moment
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Amen to this thread.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by: Anton
Tuning cars with less power and stripping them of weight. I used to own a Ford Puma and I think it only had 125bhp but it was a lot more fun in the twisties than a lot of other more powerful cars I've owned since, the chassis was quite agile and it felt light.

What's on your maybe list Bash?

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2017, 05:03 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: So about 10 year ago i could buy something quick for under a grand no problem at all but i couldnt unsure it. I got offered all sorts integras, civics, imprezas for stupid cheap money but could never afford to insure them. Now im at an age where i can actually insure stuff anything remotly quick (around 200 bhp plus is my definition of quick) I cant afford to buy. Just what the hell happened to the cheap car market!

I was called the Govt. "Scrappage Scheme". where many decent tidy motors got binned in the rush for "cleaner diesel". Censored Angry

(01-09-2017, 05:51 PM)welshpug Wrote: some industry lady gardens thought up the scrappage con.

exactly that Censored Censored
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
basically i want something fast as a daily with reasnble power and enough room for child seat. But i want it to drive nice. I hate german cars i think theyre all shit except very few select bmws that i need to sell a kidney to buy. I sorta like saabs but it wont be enough for me to wanna keep one for anytime though. Which leaves jap stuff, some vauxhalls, psa group, volvos
Thanks given by:
vauxhsll and saab are german underpinnings and engineering...

with fiat diesels Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2017, 07:51 PM)welshpug Wrote: vauxhsll and saab are german underpinnings and engineering...

with fiat diesels Big Grin

True but underpinnings arent that bad though and they "feel" diffrent to drive. Drove an astra vxr today and im not gonna lie it was pretty fun. The corsa vxr is crap but the astra is fun. I also like the newer shape focus STs but again i value my kidneys in my pocket.
Thanks given by:
Megane RS...?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...8188476049

C30 T5, 217hp and 0-60 in 6.2s

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...4104269412

Thanks given by:
Saab 9-5 2.3.. Even the lpt (185bhp) can be mapped to 280 and 420nm torque for little money (td04 turbo and 80 quid remap) mine owes me about 500 quid..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2017, 05:12 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Saab 9-5 2.3.. Even the lpt (185bhp) can be mapped to 280 and 420nm torque for little money (td04 turbo and 80 quid remap) mine owes me about 500 quid..

About £500 where did you find that, thats a bargin!!
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2017, 05:30 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 05:12 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Saab 9-5 2.3.. Even the lpt (185bhp) can be mapped to 280 and 420nm torque for little money (td04 turbo and 80 quid remap) mine owes me about 500 quid..

About £500 where did you find that, thats a bargin!!
Bought it for 220 with a snapped aux belt which broke an oil cooler pipe.. There is an aero on the forum for like 400 ish needing a few bits.

Look for the older (2002-2005) ones in vector trim not aero and they are cheap lol

Btw mine had full service history and 102k miles when i bought it

Thanks given by:
What forums this may have to take a look. Seems odd as theyre all expensive when i look about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Nah the Saab turbo's have been dirt cheap for ages.
Arse fell outa the market when Saab went under, their reputation was shot to shit anyway what with being forced to use a f*cking Vectra as a base car.

Also fast Civic's/Integra's ain't never been under a grand, especially since the first Civic to break 200 BHP was the 2015 model  Tongue
Impreza's under a grand were all dogs, always have been, the UK spec Mk1 was f*cking slow as well giving up 80 BHP to it's Japanese cousin.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2017, 09:18 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Nah the Saab turbo's have been dirt cheap for ages.
Arse fell outa the market when Saab went under, their reputation was shot to shit anyway what with being forced to use a f*cking Vectra as a base car.

Also fast Civic's/Integra's ain't never been under a grand, especially since the first Civic to break 200 BHP was the 2015 model  Tongue
Impreza's under a grand were all dogs, always have been, the UK spec Mk1 was f*cking slow as well giving up 80 BHP to it's Japanese cousin.

yeah the civic thing is true. 

Ive sorted myself out a car now, sort of. Im not willing to put myself into finance for a car. Its just not right in my eyes for a mechanic to do such a terrible thing  Rofl. But i have sorted something out now with my current tidy 306 to make it a bit faster. so hopefully will keep me happy for a little while at least
Thanks given by:
Also have we considered inflation at 3% a year for 10 years is probably accounting for a 40% increase in price
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2017, 09:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Also have we considered inflation at 3% a year for 10 years is probably accounting for a 40% increase in price
Please explain this i honestly dont get it
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2017, 09:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Also have we considered inflation at 3% a year for 10 years is probably accounting for a 40% increase in price

maths fail Rofl
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2017, 10:14 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:

if a car was £1000 and inflation is 3% then multiply that by 1.03 for each year. So after year 10 the same £1000 car will be worth £1304.77.

Same as the freddos issue... but with cars.

This is why if you put 100k in a bank it becomes worth less over time which is why its better off investing it aiming to at least match inflation... or in my eyes why its better to spend it as soon as you get it. Remember that time in that country where there was such rapid inflation that you would need a wheel barrow full of money to buy bread. They had to print loads of money which drove it down even more and wallpaper became so expensive you actually had more paper with the notes youd need to buy it with so people just decorated their homes with money.

Im not entirely sure why it happens or where the extra money even comes from to keep the whole thing from falling over. Its all to do with confidence in things.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2017, 11:36 AM)Eeyore Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 10:14 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:

if a car was £1000 and inflation is 3% then multiply that by 1.03 for each year. So after year 10 the same £1000 car will be worth £1304.77.

Same as the freddos issue... but with cars.

This is why if you put 100k in a bank it becomes worth less over time which is why its better off investing it aiming to at least match inflation... or in my eyes why its better to spend it as soon as you get it. Remember that time in that country where there was such rapid inflation that you would need a wheel barrow full of money to buy bread. They had to print loads of money which drove it down even more and wallpaper became so expensive you actually had more paper with the notes youd need to buy it with so people just decorated their homes with money.

Im not entirely sure why it happens or where the extra money even comes from to keep the whole thing from falling over. Its all to do with confidence in things.

£1343.91 by my count? having actually done the maths rather than guesstimated it's a 34.4% rise rather than a 40% rise.
Transport inflation for the last few years has been above the base rate of inflation. Look at the kia piccanto. I'm sure 10 years ago they were retailing at £5995, now they start at just over £9k, that's over a third rise in price.

And Sam the extra money comes from the government printing more money and putting it into circulation, it's to do in part with quantitative easing and various other things that I'm not going to try to explain.

Tom in short; inflation = shit gets more expensive over time.

(06-09-2017, 11:01 AM)welshpug Wrote:

maths fail Rofl

How? I didn't work it out at the time but it turns out be 34.4% rather than the 40% I guesstimated. 40% was close enough for the purposes of this thread.
Thanks given by:
i think my number was actually year 9 as I didnt count the original as year 0. Yours is year 10.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's happened to Toms306? Silky 7 2,374 02-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Silky
Big Grin So.... This happened bholten 9 4,254 17-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle
  this happened to anyone else before? willJspears 10 2,226 23-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Last Post: r3k1355