99 peugeot 306 sedan BEAM?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
99 peugeot 306 sedan BEAM?
its 1.9D non turbo..

I had someone rebuild the beam last year, since i was busy.. f*ck me , the left wheel has negative camber, i can't even fit my finger in there is that close..  it has drum brakes on it.
the f----n shop screwed me 250 Euros for nothing.

that's not even 10,000km..

the right side is good..

so my question is, can i buy scrapped yard or junkyard  beam, and rebuild it , .. since i am going to do it, this time, can i fit VTS or  peugeot RT6 whatever the one with the thickest bars is..

Any other components needing changed?  like shocks? brakes discs? lines, vALVES?

is there a cheap already decent rebuild like imaxx  thats decent i can just buy and throw in there.?

If i have to rebuild, i read a lot,  i found stats that 8 out of 10 axle beam are  not repairable ,they are to far gone..

plus that place I am at  god knows what you are getting they all be high millage now... and shady builds..
Thanks given by:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=a...0by%20stef hes calld stef205 on the forum he can get all the parts if you need them
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2017, 08:59 PM)madmadmax Wrote: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=a...0by%20stef  hes calld stef205 on the forum he can get all the parts if you need them

i am in macedonia, not england.. information will be helpfull
Thanks given by:
As you've said you can buy a beam off a scrapped VTS or GTi-6. If you did then try to get it with everything including shocks, brakes, brake load compensator, flexi hoses, hand brake cables & all brackets.  This previous post deals with why you need the load compensator https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=36137

As you've already said though, many beams now need extensive repair. If the camber on the beam has got too bad the trailing arm shafts will probably have rubbed/worn the beam tube itself and the beam tube would need replacing. There are suppliers on eBay of aftermarket tubes who would probably ship to you. Cost maybe 120-150 Euros. These new tubes generally come fitted with bearings & seals.

You'd also need new trailing arm shafts - prob about 100 euros, and ARB seals from Peugeot - another 15 Euros maybe.

You may find you need to replace a few other bits too, especially if you're swapping to a disc beam but I'd say you need to budget 250 euros, a lot of time, plus a bit of blood & sweat. You may also need to either borrow or fabricate some tools to get the old beam apart. Budget 200 Euros if the original beam tube is good n just needs bearings n seals.

Not what you want to hear having spent quite a lot recently.
Thanks given by:
well i see complete beams remans for 250 euros and 2 year warranty.. where is my savings I i purchase from a wreckers and do it myself
Thanks given by:
I was only guessing what the costs would be in your country but can't be far off. There isn't much difference here between purchasing an exchange beam from some suppliers or doing it yourself. When you do it yourself though you would know all the parts that should be replaced have been replaced. As you found, getting someone else to do it doesnt guarantee a quality job n they may cut costs in any number of ways. You'll have to find out what cost of all parts is locally for you.

Back to your OP, most refurbed beams are supplied on an exchange basis. If you want to upgrade to a GTi/XSi/HDi disc beam then you couldn't go down the exchange route.
Thanks given by:
my last beam that the machinist f*cked up, and is leaning one wheel, i added 4 grease fittings...

I am interested in the design, and since am engineer and tech..

has anyone ever tried using longer needle bearing or done modification to prolong the life of the beam.

i just cant phantom  why they fail so quick...Peugeot had to have some better engineers that this.

I see some people use bronze bushings but that as i have read it changes the ride comfort and its not the same, sticktion comes to mind.

will a VTS beam or GT6 race beam last longer..

How can they have this issue and never corrected it?

original lasted 100,000km... i paid someone to do it, he f*cked it up, and hasn't lasted 10,000km , having one wheel already leaning..

I dont know what this f*cking machinist did, besides put new bearing and called a day..  can I re machine this to be perfectly round size bigger and use longer and bigger size bearing needle.. .. I assume once it starts leaning its worn the beam sideways from the load of the shaft .
Thanks given by:
Original Peugeot beams lasted 10 years + so you can't blame their engineers.  I had a 306 XSi from 2001-2010 and sold it at 13 years old, with 140,000 miles on the clock and still on the original beam.  True, they don't make rear suspension like that any more but probably because there are now simpler designs that are cheaper to produce.

Your beam was badly repaired and that's a different issue and your should direct your frustration at the person who did it.  Maybe your mechanic only replaced the bearings and an already worn shaft destroyed them in no time.  As for grease nipples, everything I've read suggests they make no difference at all.  The bearings don't need much grease - they just need to be protected from water ingress.  If you add grease nipples the grease will likely just fill the beam tube and get nowhere near the bearings.  If you slide a set of bearings on to a beam shaft you'll see why.

I don't know much about the bronze bushes other than not many people bother with them.  Those in the know here go for decent quality bearings (SNR or ones from Peugeot) and always use new shafts when rebuilding.  Also, if the outer part of the tube has been knackered by excessive wear you have to replace that too.  (The outer bearing shell needs to be a full interference fit in the end of the beam tube to stop them from being distorted by the load on the rear axle).
Thanks given by:
you make no sense, i see ton of peugeot 306 beams fail prematurely, mine original lasted 130,000km.. the wheel was rubbing the plastic.. so it might have been failing way before... my frustration is not with the repair guy .. he f*cked up no matter what...   peugeot engineering this is weak..  cant have that many failures.. design is good, but it has to do with longevity is a miss.. durability  is not that good.... look all over the net, many failures..

now what i was interested in was can i improve the design,buy lets say using longer needle bearing surface  to lessen the load from the shaft.

bushes i knew i already said its stupid to do..

so my question is is there any way to improve or has anyone done any improvements to prolong the life of the beam.
Thanks given by:
Err, what do you mean by prematurely? You can't expect a 20 year old car to be without issues, regardless of mileage.

You probably could come up with a smart engineering solution for greater longevity. Cost is the only limiting factor. I suppose the main point I was trying to get across is most people on here, who have plenty more experience than me, rebuild beams to original spec. There is no doubt a good reason.

Edit: The number of needles in the outer bearings is important btw - they should have 45.
Thanks given by:
replace bearings and seals every 4-5 years, 40-50 of parts, job done.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
since i put this car in storage i want to fix the old beam or get a new axle beam tube this spring.

So i have few months to figure this out..   its my first french car to work on.. and I had plenty to work on these guy ..)Smile

I  got skills meaning I was a master tech, before i became an engineer..
, but i dont know all the specifics, so hopefully u can help me with some answers.
I should have known better and fixed this in the first time myself but that's to late now..

How is Imaxle?  they ship to macedonia

Anywhere can i buy a new axle beam?  I am afraid mine is to far gone.. having one shop screw it up and having already leaning wheel in less than 10,000km. 

how about the chinese beam Marxxon?

How about  boring the old beam out , and then making a  press fit sleeve  that will bring it back to OEM specs, so the bearing will be centered.
I am assuming its oval shape and to far gone?
the problem with this is I dont know what shape it is, and I seen even some bent beams, some machinist videos, when they tried to fix them and realized they were bend on the lathe.

has anyone tried this?

eventually i would like some bearings recomendations brands  replacement parts?
Thanks given by:
hello where are the experts?
Thanks given by: