Upgrading to 283mm brakes on Dturbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading to 283mm brakes on Dturbo
So i read the guides on putting 283mm brakes on and it seemed simple enough, thought il get the bits and if i need to upgrade the MC at a later date i can. Decided to look at a few other guides today and i now see that potentially the 283 brakes dont fit behind a 14inch alloy! My question is, do they not? And if not, is it as simple getting some spacers so they fit or will i need 15inch wheels/sack off the idea all together?

Thanks for your help  Smile

Ash
Thanks given by:
No they dont fit. You need 15s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
What Bash said Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Damn my haste! Thanks for the confirmation, time to get hold of some 15s lol
Thanks given by:
Ive got two sets lying about

On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Oh cool, what sets have you got? and what sort of price would you sell them at?
Thanks given by:
so when brakes dont fit under wheels they either will hit the back of the face of the wheel which is where spacers help... or they simply dont fit inside the internal diameter of the wheel, where if its only a mm you can grind the calliper back slightly. In some cases some wheels have a slight cone so you can get to a wider internal diameter by spacing it out.

In your case though 14" is simply too small and youll need bigger and frankly better looking wheels Tongue

If youre currently on 247mm brakes you may need a larger master brake cylinder to get the pedal feel right.
Thanks given by:
Ok that makes sense Smile
Haha I like my Swallows/ Ileas as they came with the car, but I can accept that bigger is better ThumbsUp 
Yeah I read about needing a larger master cylinder, I don't think they pedal feels great at the moment so im sure it will be horrendous when they brakes get bigger. Il keep my eye out for the MC off VW transporter as that seems to be commonly used.
Hijacking my own thread here so apologies for wrong section but regarding the spare wheel- does everyone just stick a can of tyre weld in the boot now and not bother with the little steelie under the car?
Thanks given by:
ive never heard of a vw transporter MC being used. Just get a larger one off a bigger engine peugeot.

Most run spare wheels still. Tyre weld ruins the tyre so it cant be used again, is only good for small holes and only fixes holes in the treaded part of the tyre. If you cut a sidewall its useless. Also I thought it repressurised the tyre, apparently not. you still need to carry an electric pump with you.

I would recommend keeping the spare, make sure its good condition and most importantly if you swap wheels make sure the bolts are right for the wheels. I fitted cyclones which needed flat bolts, went to use the spare and it used tapered which meant i couldnt fit the spare wheel and was stuck!
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2017, 11:30 AM)Eeyore Wrote: ive never heard of a vw transporter MC being used

I have, its a bit of a faff with the reservoirs and port sizes but it bolts straight on and is 25.4mm.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
il definitely do some more research before I buy a MC then, will be a few weeks until I get the brakes done so that's fine. Il maybe aim for a simpler fit lol

Thanks for the info RE the spare, il get that down and check it when I get home. Il also keep in mind the different bolts, thanks for your help Smile
1st project- Red Peugeot 306 DTurbo 1998
2nd project- Silver BMW E38 1999- Sold
Daily- Black Mitsubishi L200 Series 5

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/user/Hobo_Ash.html
Thanks given by:
I ran gti6 brakes without updating the master cylinder from 247s the smallest ones. Was fine day to day. As for the clones i have a set for £50 2 legal tyres 2 need replacing
Thanks given by: Hobo Ash
Oh cool, that's good to know. Theres a few 406 MC that are 23.8mm around so I guess that's an option if I do want less pedal travel.
As for the wheels that sounds great, il pm you Smile
Going on from Eeyores comment earlier then- il need to get flat bolts for the cyclones then and keep my current tapered for my spare?

Thanks given by:
Yeah need some flat seated bolts for them

Thanks given by:
(30-06-2017, 02:36 PM)Hobo Ash Wrote: Oh cool, that's good to know. Theres a few 406 MC that are 23.8mm around so I guess that's an option if I do want less pedal travel.
As for the wheels that sounds great, il pm you Smile
Going on from Eeyores comment earlier then- il need to get flat bolts for the cyclones then and keep my current tapered for my spare?

you'll have flat bolts on your current swallows Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Awesome! My car was obviously made for Bashs wheels :Smile:

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  283mm 307 Brakes on a S16 Pingaz 13 3,400 05-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: miles
  Smallest wheels to fit dturbo brakes ginge191 12 3,144 26-09-2016, 05:38 AM