Electric Window Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Window Help
Hi guys,

My drivers' side electric window on my phase 3 HDI doesn't work.  So far I have:

checked the fuse
swapped out the relay
unscrewed the door pin connector, cleaned the points on both sides with WD40 and a brush (they seemed fine anyway)
cut the cable tie on the door connector, removed the rubber housing and checked the wires (they all seem intact)
replaced the window motor mechanism for a brand new one
swapped the passenger window switch to the drivers' side (this didn't work)

Work noting that the driver's side window switch doesn't seem to work the passenger window but it does still work the electric mirror.

After changing the window mechanisms in both doors my passenger side window now works just fine. 

I'm wondering if the next step is taking the dash out or whether I have missed something really simple.  I'm not sure how I check if there is power coming from the door connector - I tried using a mains tester electric screwdriver on the pins but it doesn't light up - I haven't got a clue if it should however. 

Any help you can give me to help diagnose the fault is much appreciated. 

Cheers,
Matt
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
Have you check for a live at plug that goes onto the motor when the window is operated?
Thanks given by:
No, would I need a multimeter to do that or would an electric screwdriver work?

Thanks given by:
Test light prob be ok but ideally a multimetre i would say.
Thanks given by:
So I managed to get a multimeter on the car and there is 12v power coming to one of the pins in the door plug coming from the body of the car. The power is travelling to the electric mirror but there is no power to the electric window plug (that connects to the motor) nor power coming to the electric window switch plug.

Should there be more than one 12v power source in the door plug (the passenger side only has one pin with 12v on it)? Also, I can't see any earth cables inside the door loom so I guess it's not an earthing problem, does anyone have any ideas? I could try stripping back the tape on the door wiring to see if there are any burnt out wires but it doesn't look like that is the case.

Thanks given by:
I think I've identified the problem as the window switch itself. There is power to the plug but no continuity with the switch itself.

Are all drivers' side switches the same? My current switch doesn't have the auto window 'A' sign on it, both drivers' and passengers' window switches have the same picture of a window on them.

Thanks given by:
I spoke to Peugeot and gave them my VIN number and I managed to source a brand new switch from ebay that matches the part number Peugeot gave me (6552WK). Sadly it hasn't solved the problem - the switch works the electric mirrors but not the windows so it's no different to the old switch in that respect.

The problem has to be to do with the electrics as I've tried a new fuse, relay, window switch, the window motor is new and the wires don't seem damaged or split.

I've run out of ideas now. :o( Is anyone local to Surrey that has a clue about 306 electrics?

Thanks given by:
broken wire in the door mate, pound to a penny, you said there is power to the mirror but unless i missed it you didn't confirm power to the window motor Smile

my bad so there is power to the motor then? . . . still gotta be a broken wire somewhere i would venture Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I've now removed all the electrical tape from the loom in the door and there's no apparent breaks in the wire leading to the electric window switch or the motor.  I didn't bother unhooking the loom that runs to the central locking but I don't know if that would affect it even.  I had a google and there's a thread on the gti6 forum that feels like it could be the same issue:

"....
Post #4
Just mine fixed yesterday. My mirror switch still worked but couldn't operate either window from the drivers side, passenger side switch worked fine.

Had a few electricians have a look at it but they weren't 100% sure what it was. The guy who eventually sorted it said there were some wires in the door loom that were shot and this nackered the body control unit (that's somewhere behind the dash I think).
..."

I can't hear the window relay clicking but my mirrors do work.

Next question - how do I find the body control unit?  Is it a dash out job?

Thanks given by:
you wont find one, its not multiplex.

its not the loom in the door that breaks, its where it bends between the shell and door.

you need to test it with a meter not just look at them.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
As above, the wires in the hinge area are a known problem and will often look just fine to the eye. I can bring my multimeter home on Saturday and you can have a go while i sort the suspension.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cool thanks Alex, I did find out it was definitely the door loom. Someone has done a temporary fix and now the window works but the switch is wired wrong as 'down' is 'up' and 'up' is 'down' plus the driver's side speaker doesn't work!

I've since bought a new loom but I could do with a quick steer on how to test the continuity between the existing wires and the plug so I can draw a picture of the pins and allocate each colour wire to them like cully did in his guide.

Thanks given by:
No problem.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electric window switch help Aaron _d95 3 2,975 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Last Post: arronnjackson
  Removal of driver's side electric window switch balkan_bozo 10 3,416 04-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  off side Electric window and door not working bluebenz1 1 1,597 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: pug306driver