New car ideas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car ideas
Thinking about possibly changing from the HDi to something else...main reason is insurance. I'm finding it hard to justify the cost for the insurance when I can get something newer, quicker, safe and in some ways nicer for the same cost. 

I was wondering what ideas you all had, so many cars I'm sure I haven't thought of them all!

I'd like something reasonably quick, not lightening speed but actually goes.. After driving things like a van, dear lord that was painful! 
Something I don't need to modify or modify much.
Half reasonable on fuel (35-40mpg motorway?)
Has to be safe and have space for me to crate out for the dogs as I go to a lot of shows, they're my main priority!!
Running costs.. Tax no more than I pay now (270ish?), insurance not too much, paying around 500 as is (not looking forward to renewal!) 
Reasonable on brakes etc.. Don't want to be burning money away! 

Also doesn't have to be an estate, roomy hatchback I can make work, or even a 4x4 style car. The rear safety of a 306 has given me good ideas for dog crate

Ball park on purchase cost probably around £2000 to £3000

Any ideas would be a great help to help me think of something practial!!
Thanks given by:
I drive an '07 Vauxhall Combo CDTI for work, not limited to 70 like some of the fleet, and even 'retuned' for emissions is still very nippy.
reasonably comfy, good load size, and handles well too.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
330d, or even a 330i as theyll do high 30's at a push.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Mondeo st tdci? 330d would be my choice but will be too ropey/abused/high mileage for under 3k. 320d however?
Thanks given by:
Dci 175

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Impreza WRX estate?
You can get them in budget, and a blob eye would be about he latest shape you could get and insuring one was cheaper than the 4x4.
It'll do 40mpg on the motorway sitting at 60mph and 31mpg sitting at 80mph.
I doubt you could find anything faster and safer in budget.

(god I'm making myself want another one)

Theres a couple of nice ones on autotrader with a full MOT, there's even a later Hawkeye shape one with the 2.5l engine and probably a 6 speed box at £3300 that you could probably haggle down to be in budget.
Thanks given by:
saab 93 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys Smile

keeping a open mind but swaying towards the e90 320d estate and converting the back seats to cages as it's a small boot (considering it's an estate) so I can keep needed boot space with maximum air flow and safety...
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2017, 10:17 PM)MrsMidnight Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions guys Smile

keeping a open mind but swaying towards the e90 320d estate and converting the back seats to cages as it's a small boot (considering it's an estate) so I can keep needed boot space with maximum air flow and safety...

Check if it's in had the timing chain recall work done as it's an engine out job to replace  Censored
Thanks given by:
How come you're paying so much for insurance? Mine is well under £500 and i'm a mechanic which the brokers love to bend you over for. If you go BMW i would stick with E46s, the newer ones are a fair bit more expensive on brakes, tyres, etc. BMWs will never be cheap to run though, they're just not designed that way. I like the newer focuses, get one with a 2.0hdi and you'll struggle to find something cheaper to run. The V50s and mazda 6 are all more or less the same thing if you need an alternative, although volvo seem to think they're premium and tend to command a higher price.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Will do pgtips thanks!

Insurance last year was 570ish with all declared with flux, not yet had renewal for this year but I can't see it being much different especially with the insurance premium rise.. Seems silly to be spending that on a 306 when I could have something like a 530d for a hundred quid more a year! 

I'm looking at newer mainly for safety, boo I know but it's a big thing for me personally, especially when I'll be transporting my pride and joy around with me alot. I know it's unlikely but I'd rather be set up for best case scenario if anything did happen!

I've looked at the newer focuses and they're an option, it's just more a case of what you get for your money I suppose! They will be cheaper on those things I know but I also think it's not often they need changing...

I do like newer volvos too but they come with quite a price tag! Shame really. I'll have a look at the mazda 6 though, not thought of them.
Thanks given by:
Another vote for focus'/foci and I know a bloke who can fix them cheap ninja
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by: