Coolant hose age / replacement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant hose age / replacement
I'm guessing that my 306's are mostly (if not entirely) on the original coolant hoses - i.e. in excess of 19 years old.  On visual inspection they doesn't look too bad - no cracks and still seems quite soft and flexible.  With the hot weather now here though I'm starting to worry about relying on such old hoses.

Any thoughts?  Leave them until they show signs of failure or undertake preventative replacement?  I know that would be quite a job as it would also involve the ones running to the heater matrix.  Any recommendations on best after-market coolant hose if I go down the replacement route?  (I guess, though, using generic hose means bodging the fitting to a standard radiator & thermostat housing etc).
Thanks given by:
I am not sure about the top hose, but the lower radiator hose for a gti6 engine is still available and is around the 25-30 pounds mark. It is probably worth your time calling a peugeot dealer and seeing whether they stock coolant hoses for your vehicle as they are likely to be much cheaper then aftermarket silicone onesa if they are still stocked.

My bottom hose is new, but the other hoses are 20 years old and they look fine to me.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Cheers Retropug. I need to learn to check prices with Peugeot. I always assume they're going to be crazy n so don't bother!

It's reassuring to know you don't worry about 20 year old hoses. I think it's amazing they're still holding pressure after all that time.
Thanks given by: