GTi 6 Engine cuts out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi 6 Engine cuts out
Strange one going on here and not sure what it could be, got this week off so gonna give the ICV a clean but I was just wondering if there is anything else to look out for. Basically what's happening is once the car is up to temp and I'm stationary and then rev the car past 2k it'll cut out unless I bring the clutch up and pull away, if I let it drop back to idle that's when it cuts out. Hope that made sense and any other areas I should look at would be a great help. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2017, 03:25 PM)Chris HDI Wrote: Strange one going on here and not sure what it could be, got this week off so gonna give the ICV a clean but I was just wondering if there is anything else to look out for. Basically what's happening is once the car is up to temp and I'm stationary and then rev the car past 2k it'll cut out unless I bring the clutch up and pull away, if I let it drop back to idle that's when it cuts out. Hope that made sense and any other areas I should look at would be a great help. Thanks!

On my 1.4 I changed the ICV and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

I used a magnetti(not sure of the actual brand name) ICV and a cheapo TPS although the car still died it definitely made it alot less revvy

I also found that just getting the car on the biting point without the car moving would stop it from cutting out although not ideal was better than turning the car back on each and every time I had to stop

I eventually had to get the ECU re programmed or something (garage wasn't specific) may have been mugged off but that's what eventually fixed the issue.

Although not a lot of help the TPS and ICV are definitely your best bet to begin with alot of people suggested vacuum leaks although I had now clue how to go about seeing if this was the issue at the time so never got to see if it was the problem Smile

Good Luck man!
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
I would expect it to be ICV or TPS. I had horrible idling issues and cutting out in my 1.8 when they broke.
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads, didn't think of the TPS as with it only happening when up to temp, I'd have thought the TPS would mean it would happen even when cold. I was thinking more along the line of green coolant temp sensor.
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2017, 06:33 PM)Chris HDI Wrote: Thanks lads, didn't think of the TPS as with it only happening when up to temp, I'd have thought the TPS would mean it would happen even when cold. I was thinking more along the line of green coolant temp sensor.

i would take the icv off then cover the hole with ur finger till almost no air gets through (till it sounds like its idles at the right revs) and rev it up from under the bonnet see if it still cuts out. leave the icv connected so ecu doesn't say f***k you. if you take off the icv be warned it will rev up to 4k because of the amount of air getting through
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2017, 08:21 PM)curly1987 Wrote:
(15-05-2017, 06:33 PM)Chris HDI Wrote: Thanks lads, didn't think of the TPS as with it only happening when up to temp, I'd have thought the TPS would mean it would happen even when cold. I was thinking more along the line of green coolant temp sensor.

i would take the icv off then cover the hole with ur finger till almost no air gets through (till it sounds like its idles at the right revs) and rev it up from under the bonnet see if it still cuts out. leave the icv connected so ecu doesn't say f***k you. if you take off the icv be warned it will rev up to 4k because of the amount of air getting through

Thanks curly, was very useful information!
Thanks given by: