Clutch biting point?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch biting point?
Hi,

I was thinking where is it meant to be?

I prefer it to be near the floor, not so close that the clutch drags when you have you foot down on the pedal.

Both my HDI Dturbo and HDI estate are like this. My girlfriends 206 is low and the one on my '6 is the same.

So, in the 206 and the GTI when I change gear it's not as smooth because when I release the pedal the clutch disengages near the point of my foot coming off but the other cars it's near the end of the throw of the pedal so disengages sooner.

Someone said the 206 might have air in the system with it being a hydraulic system and that causing the symptoms. I wasn't sure what it could be on the GTI and as I was writing this I just thought it could be the grommet hasn't seated in the bulkhead. I'll be checking that tomorrow.

So back to the question, where should the bite point be in the travel of the pedal?
Thanks given by:
Bite point usually depends upon clutch travel as well. From my experience a very high pedal definitly isnt air in the system (would be a low pedal as you would have to compress air firat causing further oedal travel) a very high pedal is a clutch near the end of its life as the clutch plate gets thinner the amount you need to depress the clutch to disengauge gets less. Hope that makes sense. This doesnt meman your clutch is dead. Just means its getting worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Mines really low with a new clutch and cable, it's quite annoying. Also still a tad heavy. Going to try a manual cable soon.
Thanks given by:
Yes that makes perfect sense thanks.

The clutch in the hdi Dturbo has only done 40k (mainly motorway). I did 300 on the last one lol.

You can push the pedal down around 25mm before you can feel the clutch spring pressure.

The GTI clutch is new, around 1k in it.

You can feel the spring pressure from the start when pushing the pedal.

Both have had new cables at the time of clutch cables being fitted.

The Dturbo I had to put a spacer behind the fork to allow the clutch to fully disengage.

So, am I right in saying the Dturbo cable isn't taking up the slack and the auto adjuster at fault? The GTI and 206 have correct bite points, the others aren't correct and I've got used to the wrong bite point?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I got a borescope from work to check if the end of the cable had located properly and it looks like it hadn't.

[Image: 20170510180813_zpsa0c1umle.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine wasn't located correctly but mine was way noisier in the cabin, I've re-seated it now and it's sealed but my bight point is still super lower and find myself crunching gears some times!

Sorry for the hijack but any ideas? I've tried fiddling with the self adjuster to reset it but no difference!

When I have the engine out in the autum I'm going to stick a bloody manual cable in and be done with it.
Thanks given by:
move the seat forwards so you always push it down fully Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Even with the modified further back position I'm still mashing it into the carpet!
Thanks given by:
Had a little play with the cable today and I think I've sorted it.

It was a bit more of a pain on the GTI than the HDI because of the heat shield being in the way.

You can see here the bung on the cable isn't sitting square.
[Image: 01%20wrong_zpstr3m0o3d.jpg]

The lug on the buckhead that the bung locates on to. The issue was the rubber bung got caught in the lug.
[Image: 02%20Bulkhead%20lug_zpsfrpnup9v.jpg]

You can see here where the rubber was caught.
[Image: 03%20Lip%20caught_zpshtwtmink.jpg]

The bung located correctly, you can see that it's now sitting square with the buckhead.
[Image: 04%20bung%20seated%20correctly_zps9f2njwgb.jpg]

Before you couldn't see the plastic end that fits in to the lug on the buckhead.
[Image: IMG_20170520_202104_zps24wmf2so.jpg]

Lets see how that goes. It felt better when parking up the car but last time it felt good after resetting the auto adjuster for a couple of goes on the clutch.
Thanks given by:
When out for a drive this morning and the biting point is still in the same place.

Clutch feels a little lighter, guessing as the cable though the bulkhead is properly inline now and not wearing on the outer.

I think the guy that fitted the last cable had the same issue because that cable wore through the plastic lining on the cable at the buckhead.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High biting point B11 BOB 15 4,938 24-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Last Post: fatlapit