Mig welding cast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mig welding cast
So ive got a turbo and a manifold. That are to cheap to make adaptor plates for and will be binning off the build once theyve done show season this year so I dont really care about them. However I would quite like the welds to hold up. Plan was get them HOT as HOT then mig them together. 
Some people say about leaving under sand afterwards? Lets it cool slowly, Any suggestions?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I've had plenty of success welding cast turbos onto manifolds, cold or pre heated. Thin stuff will crack though, if its thick stuff, JFDI.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I cant weld for sh*t and I've welded a few turbos to manifolds with a mig not even a decent mig tbh, and it never fell off, didn't preheat or cool down. Maybe I got lucky? But never had an issue.

Thanks given by:
the process depends if its cast iron or steel. Touch a grinder on it and note the colour of sparks.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2017, 09:02 PM)Stef205 Wrote: the process depends if its cast iron or steel. Touch a grinder on it and note the colour of sparks.

Yeah i heard about this somewhere, i dont often weld cast and when i do its always little like egr blank etc

(23-03-2017, 08:25 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: I've had plenty of success welding cast turbos onto manifolds, cold or pre heated. Thin stuff will crack though, if its thick stuff, JFDI.

Nice and thick this stuff

(23-03-2017, 08:50 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I cant weld for sh*t and I've welded a few turbos to manifolds with a mig not even a decent mig tbh, and it never fell off, didn't preheat or cool down. Maybe I got lucky? But never had an issue.

I thankfully can weld after many years of practice and a huge amount of guidance from various people. However ive never done cast apart from small parts. I suspect beat thing is to tack it with the little welder at home then get to it with the decent obe at work
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd tig a job like that, but mig will do it. Preheat the f*ck out of the cast and make sure it's clean
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2017, 06:29 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: Personally I'd tig a job like that, but mig will do it. Preheat the f*ck out of the cast and make sure it's clean

Yeah id live to tig it, but i dont have a tig and or cant use one so theres that lol. Its just gotta last one show season
Thanks given by:
mig is useless, you need arc or gas rods.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2017, 08:11 AM)welshpug Wrote: mig is useless, you need arc or gas rods.

This statement pops up every time someone asks this question..

Whilst I won't suggest that it's best practice to do so, you can, in my experience, successfully mig weld cast manifolds to turbos. I always cut as deep a vee as reasonably possible into the join (angle grinder with a grinding disc is good, to a depth of at least 5mm). I also preheat, because it seems to help get good penetration. Using this method I've yet to have a weld in cast fail despite people's suggestions that it won't work.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Fairly pointless comment. And obviously havent done much of it yourself if that is your view?

In the text book maybe, but for most people, if you have a half decent welder, you will get away with it just fine. I would personally pick the stick welder up for most cast jobs, as yes, it does do a better job, but you can certainly get away with getting a decent, long lasting weld with a MIG if you take the time to do it properly. As already said, works best if you heat it up, and let it cool slowly, I find it more effective to have a fair weld fillet gap, rather than butting up directly, gives it some slight space to move / contract and will prevent it cracking. There is a bit of a nack to it, but will work just fine.

Also worth pointing out that some of the hash ups I have removed from cars over the years (dirty cast turbo to manifold welding, which looks like its been done with a 2watt sealey welder with 0 penetration), have all still been solid, and not failed, and can bet none of these were heated up etc! Obviously this is not good practice, but what im saying is, if they survive, then chances are if you take the time to do the job half correctly, you will be just fine. Don't believe all the stuff you read on the internet Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Bloody arc would be the last thing id use! tig or mig, ive mig'ed plenty of cast items before with great success. Preheat it well, weld with plenty of power and heat and let it cool naturally.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2017, 06:07 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

Don't believe all the stuff you read on the internet Smile

Just a good rule for life in general
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welding Cages Jonny81191 8 1,531 30-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Anyone with TIG welding knowledge? Jonny81191 10 3,654 21-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Welding machine Ben 6 3,436 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Ben