Bmw or pug

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bmw or pug
So been thinking of getting a BMW 320D E46... 

Currently have a Peugeot 306 estate 1.9D N/A LX

Family are talking me out of BMW as they're less reliable and more expensive when go wrong (i know this is a pug group).

But i really need some advice on what to do, do i spend the money i have for a BMW on modifying the pug or do i spend the money on a BMW. I really cannot decide, all help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2017, 05:57 PM)Ben_Holden_ Wrote: So been thinking of getting a BMW 320D E46... 

Currently have a Peugeot 306 estate 1.9D N/A LX

Family are talking me out of BMW as they're less reliable and more expensive when go wrong (i know this is a pug group).

But i really need some advice on what to do, do i spend the money i have for a BMW on modifying the pug or do i spend the money on a BMW. I really cannot decide, all help will be greatly appreciated
What's the reason for wanting to change?

Ie your criteria
Thanks given by:
yeh how many mile sa week do you do? would it be an estate bmw?

Depends how much really. Just looking at it I would upgrade to a HDI estate that way youll have more power to play with and the car will still be the same to maintain Smile
Thanks given by:
i've always wanted a BMW since I was younger, I have had my heart set on the E46, love the shape, size, most things about them but are they as unreliable as i've heard they are is what is putting me off it

(16-03-2017, 06:38 PM)Eeyore Wrote: yeh how many mile sa week do you do? would it be an estate bmw?

Depends how much really. Just looking at it I would upgrade to a HDI estate that way youll have more power to play with and the car will still be the same to maintain Smile

about 700 miles every month, if its a normal month, would love a HDI but if I was too change i'd go hatchback and not estate but if i change it'd only too a bmw E46 and no it'd be a saloon
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say they're THAT much more expensive, but it's all relative.. it's newer technology, VNT for the turbo for example so is going to be more expensive than say a T2/GT15 etc on a 306. But you get 150hp (136 if it's the older model) out of the box and they map to around 180-200 (model dependent).

Common issues are swirl flaps (year dependent) but blanks are cheap, egr but again blanks are cheap. Turbos age/mileage dependent. Rust on the arches and potentially cracking where the subframe is mounted (this is probably the main thing to watch out for). Everything else is going to be the same as any other car, bushes, ball joints etc..

All in all I'd say they're fairly reliable providing they're looked after, but it's the same with most cars tbh preventative maintenance is key so get one that's been looked after
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get the beemer.

Anyone that tells you a 3 series beemer can match a 306 for ride and comfort is a f*cking moron, they're worlds apart.
Thanks given by:
beemer all day.
just check insurance as seeing some places flat out refuse to cover them now
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
That 2.0D BMW engine is dogshit, seen so many come in with major problems. I'd go for the 6-pot or stick with pug. r3k1355 is right too, although the beamers aren't that bad if you get some sensibly-sized wheels rather than the ever-popular 18s.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
they're not that bad, 2/3rds of the 6 cylinder...

lots of them on the road so you hear more about common issues than a rarer vehicle
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2017, 08:00 AM)welshpug Wrote: they're not that bad, 2/3rds of the 6 cylinder...

lots of them on the road so you hear more about common issues than a rarer vehicle

I really hate agreeing with people but this is true. Its down to the car, same with dv6s everyones like oh rheyre unreliable but you dont realise the 100a of thousands out there that dont break down. My 2p is the pug. We have two for dailys. Never cause any major issues. 1 hdi estate and one xud coverted hatch.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2017, 06:44 AM)Poodle Wrote:  the beamers aren't that bad if you get some sensibly-sized wheels rather than the ever-popular 18s.

and ditch the run flats.

It's like a double whammy of crap choices, over-sized wheels and tyres with sidewalls like granite.
Thanks given by:
They're still perfectly comfortable on 18's (without rflats..), mine on coilovers and 18's is still more comfortable than the hdi on shocks/springs on 15's. They're just very different cars. The 18's are the standard size for most of the sports models, on the bigger engined ones you can't go smaller than 17's due to brake disc size
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2017, 10:43 AM)r3k1355 Wrote:
(17-03-2017, 06:44 AM)Poodle Wrote:  the beamers aren't that bad if you get some sensibly-sized wheels rather than the ever-popular 18s.

and ditch the run flats.

It's like a double whammy of crap choices, over-sized wheels and tyres with sidewalls like granite.

Ha yeah, exactly that.

Hmm perhaps i've seen an unrepresentative snapshot locally, there are certainly hundreds of the rep-mobiles on the m3 round here every day lol. I never saw the same of the 1.6hdi though...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
you probably havent noticed quite how many vehicles the dv6 is in...
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Haha i'm well aware, i work on a few a week lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've got a 1.6hdi in my fiesta, but it is new enough to have the updated turbo oil feed I believe, it has been very reliable so far. I service it every 6 months.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
We ummed and aahed about what our new car would be after selling our 306.
Because of the growing anti diesel campaign I really was not sure what to go for.
We do not do enough miles to justify a diesel but when we go south we are driving a long way (500 miles +)
I was looking for a Polo 1.9 tdi but could not find one with 5 doors and decent mileage + cruise control.
We ended up buying a low mileage one owner Fabia 1.9 tdi 105 PD.
It is actually slightly bigger than the polo (our other car is a 2002 polo 1.4 16v) with a bigger boot,it also has slightly higher seating posn/eye level which I like.
The Fabia goes very well and is loping along at 2250 rpm @70 mph,estimated mpg is 57ish (but not done enough miles yet to say for sure) and is comfy.
Of course the PD engine is not exaccly the quietest or most refined diesel around   lmao
Thanks given by:
I'd echo those above about reliability - there are thousands of the 2.0D on the road so as a percentage of the total I wouldn't scare yourself.

Of course suspension bits, wheel bearings etc are more expensive but again not service items. Tyres can be as well depending on size but the E46 doesn't need runflats so that'll save you ££.

I loved my 306 but it's worlds behind my 330cd in terms of build quality, comfort, cruiseability etc. Sure, it doesn't handle like a go kart (comparatively) to the 3 series but it is significantly less tiring to drive - ultimately the amount of times I actually get to hoon on the back roads is significantly less than being in stop/start traffic, around town, on a long run etc.
Thanks given by:
I've got a e46 330i, got to say I'm impressed with it. Nice to work on, comfortable and had actually done decent mpg down to Cornwall.
The only thing that lets it down is the throttle response. No idea why bmw went fly by wire but it can be remapped.

I've got 225 45 17 tyres and they worked out to be £80 fitted a tyre for medium spec kuhmos.

Plans are to lower it and maybe a diff.

Already replaced most of the suspension as it had aged (on 120k)
Thanks given by:
I can vouch for the E46 320d being a very good reliable and comfortable car. I have one so does my dad we both do mega miles and there both reliable. I only got my one back in Sept and I've ran into a couple of issues which are down to the previous owner not maintaining those particular items but aside from that I haven't had an ounce of trouble. Mine is on 203,000 miles and my dads is on 301,000 miles. As for comfort? My dad's is on 16" wheels mine is on 18" wheels and there is a noticeable difference in comfort but mine is still very comfortable
Thanks given by: