Draining (domestic) radiator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draining (domestic) radiator
Hi,

Probably a really easy answer that I'm just missing but in the interest of saving myself some time, which is often quite limited, I'd like some advice on radiator draining as I'm sure someone on here will know.

I'm trying to stop water flowing into the radiator to then remove it from the wall for decorating purposes. One end looks like a lockshield valve which I have turned clockwise all the way, then on the other end there is a thermostatic valve, when removing the head after switching it to the off position it looks like the attached picture.

The issue is, after having done this, I am undoing the pipe fitting to the radiator between the thermostatic valve and the radiator and the water just keeps coming, and when the central heating is on this water is warm (radiator is cold and always off as I currently do not use the room) which suggests it is coming from the rest of the system and not the radiator.

The valve doesn't seem to tighten further with just a spanner (unless I need more force but I'm wary of breaking it). Does anyone know how to shut off this type of valve?

Thanks

This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
ye thay are call decorating caps thats what you need i think
Thanks given by:
decorator cap for the valve as it pushes the pin down to close the valve
or
you could put the thermo head back on and turn it to the off position this may work but not 100%

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Alright, I'll get a decorator cap and see if that works.

Leaving the thermostatic head on set to off does not seem to fully close it unfortunately, as I did think that it might be depressing the pin and I did try this.

Thanks for the tips.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Not good practice to leave the thermostatic valve on, both because of the reason you aid (some dont close completely) and also because if they hit temperature there is a chance they can open spontaneously and drain the system out the hole..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: