306 PAS steering rack ratios

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 PAS steering rack ratios
Quick question: do all 306 PAS racks have the same ratio? I appreciate the Gti has less turns lock to lock because of the ram limiting travel, but if I fitted a gti rack to a 5 speed car with the 5 speed ram would I notice a difference?
Thanks given by:
Im also wondering this for the HDI as looking to upgrade to a VTS one possibly.
Thanks given by:
I dont believe there are any differences in the 306 range. Ive never heard of one anyway. The xsara VTS range has a 2.6 rack in the later models and 2.4 in the earlier however you will be hard pushed to find a 2.4 and when you do expect it to be £300. There are a few 2.6 ones about that seem to be £150 including lines.
Thanks given by: MY95
Surely the gti/rallye due to the 6 speed box has a different lock to lock amount compared to the others? Im not sure, just guessing!
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2017, 10:40 PM)MY95 Wrote: Surely the gti/rallye due to the 6 speed box has a different lock to lock amount compared to the others? Im not sure, just guessing!

its different lock to lock only because it doesnt turn left as much. It has a spacer on the otherwise standard rack to stop the tyre hitting the end of the longer box. Fairly sure thats true!
Thanks given by: MY95
Interesting stuff, thought there was something wrong with the power steering on the car tonight... then I remembered id just finished karting 5 mins ago lol
Thanks given by:
Ah that's disappointing! I'm not after ultra-quick steering, just something faster than a super-tanker
Thanks given by:
have a mk1 VTS rack fitted on the zx - its much improved over stock
Thanks given by:
There are a few 2.2 racks around which were made using a generic quaife rack bar and a HPC pinion, I had one but the guy I bought it from said they'd had at least 5 made that he knew of just to get numbers for the pinions.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2017, 01:21 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: There are a few 2.2 racks around which were made using a generic quaife rack bar and a HPC pinion, I had one but the guy I bought it from said they'd had at least 5 made that he knew of just to get numbers for the pinions.

any more details on that?
Thanks given by:
To be honest I've never found another one yet for sale - they were built for some rally cars wanting faster steering - I assume before people found out about the VTS racks. The teeth are cut deeper on the rack to allow a bigger pinion gear. I do know some of the French lads are modifying 306 racks for TT cars though but I don't know if any of them are offering even faster versions.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Great bit of information there Rippthrough, sounds like if anyone could get their hands on one it would be big money, may as well just wait out for a MK1 VTS one which is close enough the same but a lot cheaper, problem is they are getting hard to find, and you only seem to see MK2 VTS ones for sale, but I cant imagine 0.2 of lock when your in the middle of 2 and 3 turns lock to lock would make a massively noticeable difference. Certainly not as much as if you were replacing a 306 one with either.
Thanks given by:
Xsara - 2.4 wheel turns lock to lock
306 - 3-3.1 turns lock to lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8UuKcvE41k
Thanks given by:
306 rack is limited by the ram only, fit a 5 speed ram and you regain that lost 3rd of a turn roughly.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2017, 02:40 PM)welshpug Wrote: 306 rack is limited by the ram only, fit a 5 speed ram and you regain that lost 3rd of a turn roughly.

But it'll hit the end of the box. I fitted the 6 box to the 1.8. It wasn't really an issue. The tyre just took the paint off the end of the box
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,503 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Steering rack piston cover doogle-d turbo 2 1,317 10-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Last Post: doogle-d turbo
  Steering rack ratios? Ant306d 11 2,309 04-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: -ER-